Problem Installing Demo...please help!

DuKaiShi

I'm trying to install the Demo version of the Complete/Professional PlecoDict for the Tungsten E. I think I must have tried about 10 times now and I keep getting the same error message. "Fatal Alert, PlecoDB.cpp, Line:279, Error loading header record-probably a corrupted file." I first did the automatic windows install tried that 3x), then I tried the manual install a few times, and then I even tried to install the Basic demo version. Every time before I try to reinstall I do delete all of the files off of my Palm. After the HotSync is complete it says everything is fine, no error messages on the computer. But, when I press the icon for PlecoDict on the Palm screen the error message pops up. I'm under a little bit of stress because I have a Chinese midterm on Tuesday and our teacher decided to let us use electronic dictionaries for the translation section of it. I had been considering buying one previously and since our teacher made this announcement I did get one and now the software doesn't seem to want to work. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Do you have a memory expansion card for your Tungsten E? The most common cause of this problem is a database failing to install completely; the Tungsten E doesn't have enough built-in memory for the Complete or Professional dictionary bundle, so if you don't have an expansion card you'd need to purchase one before you could install the demo.

If you don't have a memory expansion card, the card you want is called an SD (Secure Digital) card; a 512 MB or 1 GB card would be more than enough, and those generally cost about US$10-$20 at most electronics stores. Once you get the card, uninstall the software again, and reinstall it using the "Manual Install" method; the instruction manual explains how to do that.

If you already have a memory expansion card, try reinstalling with that Manual Install procedure if you haven't already, and if that doesn't help, reformat the card (using the Card Info application on your Palm) and try again. If the software still isn't working, try another install of only the Basic-version demo; does that work any better?