Problem with Screen reader/OCR notification since last update

Kaimi

进士
With the last update around 2 weeks ago, the notification for screen reader is broken to me as it only shows the app icon. I've been using the floating buttons since, but the notification is much better. I'm using Android 7.1.1, Xiaomi MIUI 8.5. I don't know what to do, I got a Xiaomi phone some weeks ago and in general it gives me a lot of troubles with notifications and backing up the flashcards, I have to re-activate permissions every day for everything! I also lost the ability to add widgets like "Pleco Flash", all the widgets disappeared from the widget lists. It really sucks. Any ideas?

uP4oIt9.jpg

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, we’re still trying to sort this one out - we’ll probably just go back to our old ugly notification on MIUI (as with about a dozen other examples of new Android features Xiaomi can’t be bothered to support correctly).

But we also offer a Quick Settings Tile now, which should be even more convenient than the notification - have you tried that yet?

Kaimi

进士
Thanks! I haven't tried it, I can't find the option. I've looked in External Access.. and other options.

Also, in Miscellaneous-Launchers I try to create Icons and it says "Shortcut created", but it doesn't appear on the homescreen. Somehow the flashcard icon appeared but I added it weeks ago.. I hate MIUI, I think I'll update to 9 and hope everything is easier.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, you’d add it from the Quick Settings configuration screen (top right button in the notification shade) - can’t do it within Pleco.

Kaimi

进士
I'm sorry Mike, I couldn't find the option to add the tile icon, I guess you mean an icon like the wifi or airplane one, but nothing appears under "notifications & status bar" on the phone settings...

l8QuHP2.png

Kaimi

进士
Hi Mike, thanks for your help. No, I can't find Pleco's quick settings toggles anywhere :( I have all the permisions on for Pleco, but I don't know if I'm missing something.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
They may have moved it somewhere odd in 8.5 - as it happens we've got an 8.5-compatible Xiaomi phone arriving Tuesday so we'll get that set up ASAP and hopefully come up with some better instructions for you. (or conclude that Xiaomi in their endless quest to sabotage useful Android features have somehow banned their devices from using third-party Quick Settings Tiles)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well at the very least we should be able to fix the notification, since that was working correctly before.

Kaimi

进士
Yes, it worked fine before, but having to give accessibility permision to read the screen contents many times randomly was annoying. Push notifications work really bad and I don't receive many of them, it's a shame. I might flash a custom rom and hope...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Beta fix for this is up now, go to https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.pleco.chinesesystem to opt into receiving beta versions after which it should show up in your Play updates tab within an hour or two.

Regarding Quick Settings Tiles: turns out that Xiaomi in their infinite wisdom have disabled those, using their own proprietary system instead. Other Chinese OEMs like Huawei support them just fine, so not sure why Xiaomi aren't - doesn't seem to be a case of them not having gotten around to it yet, since previews of MIUI 9 appear to retain their custom system.