Problems with purchasing Pleco Complete Bundle for iPhone

I'm currently running Pleco with all the dictionaries on an iPAQ 214. I have recently bought an iPhone 3GS and would like to install the Pleco Complete Bundle on it. I want to keep using the iPAQ - the complete Pleco runs quite well on the iPAQ - so I don't want to transfer the license. Instead I would like to purchase a new license for the complete bundle. First I downloaded Pleco from the iTunes store on my mac. Then still in iTunes I sync'd the app to the iPhone 3GS. On the iPhone I registered Pleco and then went to "Add-ons" to buy the Pleco Complete Bundle. After selecting "Buy + Download" a pop-up window appears to confirm that the purchase should be made, and "Continue Purchasing" was tapped. Another confirmation pop-up appears with "Confirm Your In App Purchase." "Buy" was tapped and it asked for my iTunes password. The password was accepted, but instead of being able to buy the license a pop-up window is displayed with the following text: "You Can't Purchase This. You must purchase the app that this item is for before you can purchase the item." Here I am confused as Pleco is free on iTunes, there is no charge so the app can't be purchased. I've looked at http://www.pleco.com/ipordering.html and have tried to follow the instructions. I've also deleted the Pleco app and re-sync'd it, but the result is the same. I'm probably missing a simple step... any tips on completing the purchase process would be very welcome.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It sounds like your iPhone is set up to use a different iTunes account than your computer; that sometimes confuses Apple's copy-protection system (which for some reason is active even with free apps). Two ways you can fix this:

1) On your iPhone, open up the Settings application, tap on Store, tap on Sign Out, then sign in with the same iTunes login email / password you used on your computer. After that, re-try your purchase and it should go through successfully.

2) Also on your iPhone, delete your downloaded copy of Pleco, then open up App Store and download Pleco directly from there instead of transferring it from your computer; that will make sure it's tied to the same account you're using for the in-app purchase.

Very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the advice - it helped resolve the issue. I do have two iTunes accounts, one older and one newer. I went to iTunes on my mac and went to Applications and highlighted Pleco Chinese Dictionary. I then chose File->Get Info and sure enough the account name used to download the application was the older account, while the iPhone is setup with the newer account. Although I'm sure the two options provided in the previous post would have worked I decided instead to delete Pleco from both the mac and the iPhone and then download Pleco from iTunes on the mac with my newer iTunes account. After syncing to the iPhone everything worked like expected - I was able to purchase the complete bundle. I really appreciate the fast response.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
catfish13595 - great!

radioman - licenses transferred over from Palm/WM can only be used on one device at a time, so unfortunately yes, you'd need a second copy for your iPad if you want to keep using the software on your iPhone at the same time.