Question on GUI flashcard component

BassieBas

Hey mike,

After seeing and using your awesome piece of software on the iPhone I decided to buy the flashcards for Android since it's the easiest way to study words by far.
I tried Anki as well, but being used to the iPhone version I couldn't get used to the GUI and how ugly it looked.
To my surprise however the Android version of Pleco flashcards doesn't rly have much of a GUI yet and I am not stuck with this GUI that kinda irritates me (i dunno why -_-).

Anyway I was wondering if a better looking GUI will be implemented in the next beta or anytime soon? Shouldn't be too much trouble I guess, since you already have the art from the iPhone version :p

Sorry if it seems like a minor or strange issue, but as said before it kinda bugs me.

Either way, thanks for porting this software to Android, was one of the most important things that persuaded me to buy an Android phone ^^

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
BassieBas said:
After seeing and using your awesome piece of software on the iPhone I decided to buy the flashcards for Android since it's the easiest way to study words by far.
I tried Anki as well, but being used to the iPhone version I couldn't get used to the GUI and how ugly it looked.
To my surprise however the Android version of Pleco flashcards doesn't rly have much of a GUI yet and I am not stuck with this GUI that kinda irritates me (i dunno why -_-).

Anyway I was wondering if a better looking GUI will be implemented in the next beta or anytime soon? Shouldn't be too much trouble I guess, since you already have the art from the iPhone version :p

Sorry if it seems like a minor or strange issue, but as said before it kinda bugs me.

The next beta will add icons for the various flashcard control buttons, but in general we're actually trying to move in the direction of a simpler, grayer UI everywhere - a lot of people think our flashcard UI on iOS now is much too "busy" / doesn't fit well with the rest of our app. In fact on iOS we're planning to add an option to select a different background image for the flashcard screen (which is basically a bunch of rounded gray buttons on top of a colored background now) so that people can choose something more neutral there.

So you really prefer something textured and translucent like what we have now on iOS? That might be a little tricky in Android in general given the lack of hardware acceleration for Android graphics rendering (added in the latest versions of Android, but it'll be years before their market penetration is at a level where we can design around them), but perhaps we can jazz things up a little bit at least.

BassieBas

Yep def do like the iOS version better, guess I really got used to the colors and I feel I see these grey and white colors too much already .
The current Android version looks a bit like it's a standard window + buttons from a GUI builder :p
But I guess if most users prefer a simple version like this, then it's best to stick to that. Perhaps you could also add an option to choose a different skin or something like that. But I understand it's not a top priority hehe.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
BassieBas said:
Yep def do like the iOS version better, guess I really got used to the colors and I feel I see these grey and white colors too much already .
The current Android version looks a bit like it's a standard window + buttons from a GUI builder :p
But I guess if most users prefer a simple version like this, then it's best to stick to that. Perhaps you could also add an option to choose a different skin or something like that. But I understand it's not a top priority hehe.

Well it's not a top priority but we can certainly consider making some improvements like that in the future - we've been neglecting our iOS software far too much lately, though, so icing-on-the-cake type stuff like this on Android probably has to wait until well into 2012 so that we can spend a while just focusing on iOS improvements.