Questions about Pleco Reader interface

laurenth

秀才
Hello,

Often, I'd like to know approximately where I am in the text I'm reading. Is there any way to display a vertical scrollbar or, even better, a page number (e.g. "4/58")?

Another thing: it would be nice to be able to select text, in order to copy/paste it elsewhere. I know I can send individual words to Pleco Flashcards, but I prefer using entire sentences in my SRS.

Thanks for your help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
laurenth said:
Often, I'd like to know approximately where I am in the text I'm reading. Is there any way to display a vertical scrollbar or, even better, a page number (e.g. "4/58")?

There actually should be a vertical scrollbar on the side of the screen while you're scrolling - does that not appear? A page number counter should happen eventually but it'll probably come along with support for page-scrolling which is still a little way off. (and may not happen until we roll out EPUB support)

laurenth said:
Another thing: it would be nice to be able to select text, in order to copy/paste it elsewhere. I know I can send individual words to Pleco Flashcards, but I prefer using entire sentences in my SRS.

You can actually expand the selection to cover the entire sentence with the |-> button.

laurenth

秀才
There actually should be a vertical scrollbar on the side of the screen while you're scrolling

Ah, yes, you're right. It's there while I scroll and then it discretely disappears. Sorry I didn't notice that.

You can actually expand the selection to cover the entire sentence with the |-> button.

Again, you're right. I can select some more words and copy them to the clipboard. Yet, apparently, the selection tool |-> cannot go beyond a puncuation mark, including a stop, a comma, etc. Is there (again) something I'm missing?

Thanks for replying so soon.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
laurenth said:
Again, you're right. I can select some more words and copy them to the clipboard. Yet, apparently, the selection tool |-> cannot go beyond a puncuation mark, including a stop, a comma, etc. Is there (again) something I'm missing?

Sounds like a bug, actually - is this full-width (Chinese-style) punctuation or normal-width English punctuation?

laurenth

秀才
is this full-width (Chinese-style) punctuation or normal-width English punctuation?

Both. Originally, it was full width punctuation, but I've just tested a chinese text containing normal-width punctuation and I have the same behaviour: the selection tool cannot go past a comma, a stop, etc.

If it's any use, I have a Samsung Galaxy GT-P1000, version 2.2. Kernel 2.6.32.9 and my version of Pleco is 2.3.7 (freshly upgraded to check whether this behaviour was not specific to the 2.3.0 version I was still using).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
laurenth said:
Both. Originally, it was full width punctuation, but I've just tested a chinese text containing normal-width punctuation and I have the same behaviour: the selection tool cannot go past a comma, a stop, etc.

If it's any use, I have a Samsung Galaxy GT-P1000, version 2.2. Kernel 2.6.32.9 and my version of Pleco is 2.3.7 (freshly upgraded to check whether this behaviour was not specific to the 2.3.0 version I was still using).

OK, thanks! We'll investigate this and hopefully get it fixed in 2.3.8.