Quick Question

Hey Everybody,
I'm new to pleco and wanted to ask two quick questions. I've been using anki for the past year or so but recently accidently deleted my deck and decided it was time to switch.

1. I'd like to have some flashcards with charecters, some with pinyin, and some with the english definition so I that I can learn new words from all angles. So far I can only figure out how to have two kinds of cards in a deck (by changing subject selection to alternating). Is there any way to have 3?

2. I can't seem to figure out how to have more than one profile set to spaced repitition. Whenever I make a new profile the avalible settings shown match those of the "basic" profile. Even if I reset the values to spaced repiition, it still shows the same basic options, like Max # of Cards.

Thanks very much! I'm excited to get started to Pleco, just need to figure out how to get past these kinks.

Cheers,
Jack

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1) Yes - the reading / writing / listening names are purely arbitrary, so if you enable all three and configure them separately you can get all three types.

2) That's odd - what about if you duplicate your existing spaced repetition profile? (tap on a profile in Manage Profiles, then tap Duplicate)

Thanks very much for the help!

Your solution for problem number 2 works great, but I'm still having trouble with #1. The problem is that my Pleco doesn't seem to have a listening setting. There are options for "Test reading" and "Test writing" that I can check the box next to, but nowhere does it say "Test listening." I compared my screen to the screen in the user guide and that space just seems to be missing.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Download the free basic audio pronunciation add-ons in "Add-ons" - you don't actually have to use them but they're necessary for that Listening option to appear.

I'm still struggling - I downloaded the "Audio Pronunciation (female), then closed and restarted the program. I can now play audio on the cards, but that option still doesn't show up on my flashcard settings.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, sorry, just checked the code and it looks like that option only shows up if you have the paid audio add-on. Which doesn't really make any sense since we offer perfectly serviceable free basic audio on both iOS and Android now - must be a relic of the days when our audio module was paid-only.

Strangely enough, this issue has come up two times today after having previously sat there for 3 years without anybody noticing it - anyway we'll fix that in the next update, but I'm afraid you'd be limited to two options until then. You might want to look into the score-based option, though - a lot of people like that better anyway since it lets you study cards on a logical progression, mastering one area before you start reviewing them in another.