radical

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

Yesterday I was looking for the radical of a character and did not find it ... Did I not look thoroughly enough or is plecodict currently really unable to show this information?
I know I can lookup a word by the radical but ... I would like to be able to do the opposite - just like in CQuickTrans - CEDict seems to have this information (or is it the typeset?).

regards
Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Two ways to do this. If you highlight a character and tap on the radical input button, the radical input screen will come up with that character's radical selected. Alternatively, if you install the free add-on Unihan database that's available on our website at http://www.pleco.com/dictaddons.html, that will give you the KangXi radical number, with which you can find the radical on a radical chart.

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

Thanks for the reply!

In the meantime I found the second waymyself with UNIHAN But... the other way seems not to work on my Dell Axim X51V German version everything installed on internal memory

Is this a bug or just my installation? I am still using the old installation just upgraded to 1.0 without reinstalling - so this might be the problem...

regards
Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually, this doesn't seem to work on an X51v here either - odd. The code is certainly in there, so this should be easy to fix in a bug-fix update. Sorry about that.

thph2006

进士
Is there a way to find a character's radical and then display it along with its meaning? The MDBG online dictionary displays the radical as part of the lookup output. Clicking on the radical brings up a window with the radical's meanings. It's really handy for folks like me who don't have all the radicals memorized yet.

ldolse

状元
I just posted a radical dictionary in the flashcards forum - you could check that out. I didn't know about the feature Mike described in this thread, but it does work now(though you need to scroll up to the top to see the radical and it's variants). Once you've selected the radical it would be simple enough to cross-reference to the radical dictionary from there.

Aunty

举人
Mike's first method (highlight character, hit the radical button) certainly will work on all of your PDAs. Yes, it will tell you the radical for that character.

The trick is that you have to have your Radicals screen configured to come up in full screen mode, otherwise it won't lookup the radical for your character. You can press-and-hold the radicals button to get a choice of display types.

daniu

榜眼
Re:

mikelove said:
Actually, this doesn't seem to work on an X51v here either - odd. The code is certainly in there, so this should be easy to fix in a bug-fix update. Sorry about that.

Do I understand that post wrongly or does it say that this method in fact does NOT work on all PDAs? I am not 100% sure if there was an update after that though ...

However I do think that it still does not work on my DELL ... I don't care cause I assume it will work in PD2 ... (especially as Mike is using this PDA for tests)
Just wanted to make that clear ...

regards
Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That post is from 2005 and actually predates the release of PlecoDict 1.0 on Pocket PC, so no, the method should work fine on all PDAs now. When you highlight a character and open the radical screen, what happens? Does it go back to the same radical you were looking at last time or does it change to a different one?

But yes, 2.0 should certainly fix this since the Character Info screen now gives you several different ways to get a character's radical.

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

OK ok ... I was wrong - sorry! Did not get the logic immediately. Was expecting to see the radical in the box on top.

regards
Daniel