Reader forgets last read page

kiraven

举人
Hi Mike,

I often use pleco reader on my iPad to read Chinese e-books. One issue I frequently encounter: when opening Pleco again to continue reading, the reader reverts to the first page of the chapter instead of the last page read. this happens often, but (I think?) not always. This seems especially to be an issue in long chapters (>100 pages) - though perhaps that’s only my perception, as shorter chapters are also more likely to be read and finished in one go, leaving less opportunity for this to happen. in long chapters, this seems to happen >90% of the time. the only way to find the last location again is to take screenshots (as skimming to find the location again is much harder in Chinese)

I’ve encountered this with multiple books. the current book was bought on Amazon and converted to ePub using calibre.

anything I could do to fix this?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Do bookmarks still work correctly even if saving the last location doesn't? Also, what model of iPad is this and what version of iOS / Pleco is it using?

kiraven

举人
iPad 8. Generation, iOS 16.1, Pleco 3.2.70

1. just opened Pleco, after last reading yesterday: correct page still showed
  2. set a bookmark, swiped pages in either direction, used the bookmark: jumped to correct page
  3. forcing closure of Pleco, reopening it: Reader reverts to first page of chapter
  4. used bookmark again: still jumping to correct page

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks.

Sorry, another one: does it make any difference if you run Pleco in Split View mode? (that actually has a big impact on state saving behavior)

kiraven

举人
Not a regular split screen user, not sure what steps best to test. What I did:
  1. Opened Pleco next to chrome
  2. switched to Home Screen, reopened split screen via either app: correct page
  3. ran 3DMark benchmark in the expectation that it would gobble up all resources. Re-opened split screen: correct page displayed after brief loading period
  4. rebooted, reopened split screen: correct page displayed after longer loading period
  5. exited split screen, reopened single window Pleco: correct page displayed
  6. forced closure of Pleco (swiping out), reopening: correct page displayed
  7. 2nd forced closure of Pleco, reopening: Pleco reverts to first page of chapter

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks, that pretty much confirms my theory about the cause - we'll add this to our to-do list for the next bug fix update.

kiraven

举人
One more observation which seemed odd: switching to night mode just led to the reader reverting to the first page of the chapter too. Immediately before that, I had used a bookmark to manually jump to last read position, as the book opened on the first page of chapter when I opened Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, there are a bunch of random scenarios where iOS randomly has our app redraw itself in several different configurations in case it should have to display a preview of it in the app switcher in one of those orientations.

Hi Mike,

8+ year plus user of Pleco here ( both Android and iOS ). I'm currently still encountering the described problem where the reader resets to the beginning of the chapter. This is the only problem I'm facing in an otherwise perfect reader app.

Would you know if anything is being planned to address this