Recommended storage space on iPod Touch?

各位好:

I am looking to upgrade to an iPod Touch (so that I can run Pleco on it :mrgreen: ) and was wondering if the 8GB would be enough space to run the program.

I have around 4GB of music and videos used on my current iPod. For Pleco, I will transfer the ABC Chinese-English Comprehensive Dictionary, NWP English-Chinese Pinyin Dictionary, and Hanwang Handwriting Recognizer (which I had on my old Palm) and will probably buy a few other add-ons.

Will I be able to run Pleco smoothly with 8GB, or should I go all the way to 32GB?

Thanks so much!

-小陶

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
8 GB will be plenty of space - a fully maxed-out installation right now only takes up around 650-700 MB, and more than half of that goes to the extended audio files.

Wonderful, thank you so much for your help! Thank you for also allowing users to transfer from one platform to another! You're the best :D

character

状元
xiaotao216 said:
Does that mean that it will run less smoothly, or just slower?
I have an 8GB iPod Touch (2nd gen, which is the same as the current 8GB model) and am more than happy running Pleco for iPhone on it. That said, I'd recommend waiting until the end of the month to see if Apple releases new iPod Touch models, and consider getting more storage if you plan on putting lots of podcasts/videos/etc. on it. So it probably runs slower than a 3rd gen model, but it's been perfectly adequate. If you play games, the 3rd gen Touches might be a better choice as they have an updated graphics chip.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
And FWIW, I only have a regular old iPhone 3G (partly as an incentive to make the software faster, partly because I'm hoping to switch to a Verizon iPhone soon and don't want to re-up my contract with AT&T in the meantime), which has a slower processor than the 2G iPod Touch, and the software seems to be plenty smooth. But yeah, if you want the best possible experience for games especially the higher-capacity models do have faster processors / better graphics.

Thanks to all for their replies!

I will only use the iPod Touch for playing music and (some) videos, and using Pleco (of course!). I will probably not have much more than 4GB of music and videos on it. I probably won't play any games on it (other than Solitaire when I have absolutely nothing else to do). However, I will use it for browsing the web.

I probably won't make my purchase until February, so I can wait until the end of the month. But for my purposes (playing 4GB of music and videos, using Pleco, browsing the web) 8GB should be okay, right? Hmmm... I am quite an indecisive person if you can't tell already. :p But thanks so much for the help!

numble

状元
Has anybody done any comparisons between the new processor and the old processor? I have the old processor, but people have said loading things are generally snappier--it might mean loading is slower, and maybe Pleco's HTML live mode might be slower?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The loading is actually more I/O-dependent than processor-dependent, and in our limited testing at least there isn't much of a difference loading-wise between models; there's much more of a difference owing to caching (how recently you've opened Pleco) and how many other things are going on in the background. That's also true for searching, FWIW; an awful lot of that is I/O-dependent, though with Chinese at least, the difficulty of caching rendered character bitmaps means that processor speed does improve text rendering performance a bit (faster to re-render an outline font character that's not in the cache). And Live Mode should benefit from every bit of processor speed it can get.