Reviewing flashcards in multiple modes

djs

I'm switching from Anki to Pleco for flashcards because of the definitions and stroke order diagrams in-app. I am also trying to practice writing characters now after realizing that learning hundreds of characters on and off over the past couple years by sight wasn't enough to keep them in my permanent memory.

If I just choose spaced repetition, Pleco behaves as I would expect. However, I also would like to use the tone practice mode and I created a writing practice mode as well. This means that I need to go through cards at least twice (if not three times) to get the correct practice. However, when I attempt to review in a second mode after completing the first review, instead of getting new cards, I end up getting a popup and then the entire list of cards. This is okay right now since I have less than 100 cards, but clearly it won't scale.

Is there some way I can do a spaced repetition review of cards in multiple modes?

NomekSan

举人
Yeah, that's what I did.
I have 3 different scorefiles for 3 different modes:
  • listen->definition
  • definition->speak
  • read->definition&speak
So I created 3 modes for those methods and attached 3 scorefiles to them. Works quite well for me.

One question:
There is an optin called "Study new cards first". Do I understand it correctly that a "new card" is equal to an "unlearned card"? So if I set the "learned" amount to 300, it will show me the cards with a score of <300 first or will it show only those cards that have been never reviewed?

Last edited:

NomekSan

举人
@NomekSan - yes, "new" and "unlearned" are more-or-less interchangeable at the moment, though that will change in the future.
Great :) I just hope that if you change it that I am still able to use the system the way I described without reconfigurating everything. I finally have found my setup.

To be honest: it's really tedious sometimes if you wat to change an option for multiple profiles and you have to do it for every single profile. To be even more honest: I however have no idea how to make this more comfortable. Maybe some kind of a "batch" function that lets you set options for selected profiles? I don't know but it's not really an issue since I have my configuration set now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Should still work, yes. And that's definitely a pain point - we may eventually add some sort of "batch edit" function but we're waiting until we finish redesigning the settings first.

Im actually trying to do something where I take the cards I know really well and set up something based on those characters where instead of the simple review I have to practice the writing aspect. Still unsure what this will look like as its 5am in Beijing and 现在我太困了。Will be asking questions tomorrow Though. Thanks for the ideas.

NomekSan

举人
You could set up a test which either reveals the character and shows the definition or pinyin or audio before or a stroke order test. To only check single characters and only those you know really well you can set up a filter like:

-show only cards with length 1
-show only cards with a score between 1000-8000 (or sth. like that)

For the score filter you actually have to use the scorefile in that test which you are filtering the cards by. I think it would be better if the filter could use a scorefile independent of the scorefile that is used to save the score of that test.
So at the moment it seems not to be possible to create a test where you filter by cards you know well in, let's say, listening and save the writing score in another scorefile.

It would also be nice if there was an option to show the definiton after a stroke order has been revealed.

You could set up a test which either reveals the character and shows the definition or pinyin or audio before or a stroke order test. To only check single characters and only those you know really well you can set up a filter like:.

Howdy. I read your post while sleepy but it must have stuck as on my universal review test I was considering staggering the difficulty and learning modes.

Ive been thinkong of using the audio and definition then just audio and then definition as the test becomes harder and harder (i think for now i am going to have to just put writing on the back burner as im already swamped with all id like to do.)

Any thoughts on what natural progression of difficulty one might follow.

ANy suggestions from anyone trying a staggered approach and yes it would be great to some how deliniate practice in one format in the score files from Others.

For now i think ill try getting cards learned.

Then dedinition and audio. Then definition. Then audio. Hopefully after a few months time ill have an idea of words i know backwards and forwards and can then work on writing.

Another quick question if i have a learned score of 850 where should the next breaks be. Levels of 100 or 200 above to go to the next testing range?