Samsung Firmware Update Failed: Can I Use Backedup System Files To Move Flashcards to an IPad 1?

LinZheFu

进士
I used to use Pleco on an old iPad 1, but about 10 months ago moved to a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, an Android system, and had extensive flashcards on it. Yesterday Samsung told me I should update the firmware on it, so I used their horrific Kies software to do the firmware update. Not trusting Samsung, I made a backup of my Galaxy Tab using Kies. I also manually copied a few folders that looked important such as a folder named com.pleco.chinesesystem. Then I did the backup, following instructions carefully. Partway through came the message that there was "an unknown error." Kies offered to do an emergency restore. Same thing: "unknown error." Now my tablet is essentially a brick. So much for the wonders of open source.

Having lost all confidence in Samsung (I have 3 Samsung devices on the blitz now, including a camera under warranty that died the same week as the tablet), I'd like to at least temporarily turn to my old iPad until I buy a new one when I'm somewhere that doesn't charge China's high import taxes. Can I use the files in com.pleco.chinesesystem or in Kies's backed up APK or other files to get something I can important into Pleco on the iPad?

FYI, being under warranty isn't all that useful when you are overseas. I took it to Samsung's local service center in Shanghai and they refuse to help since it was bought in America. Called US tech support and since it is under warranty, they will accept it, if I mail it to them in Texas, but they can't mail it back. Only to a US address, even if I offer to pay shipping. Crazy. But I can ship it to friends and hope it gets here someday. But shipping from China

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yikes, sorry about that.

Yes - should be in com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases, the format is identical to that used by our flashcard database backup / restore files (and is also identical between iOS and Android) so you can certainly take your flashcard file from there and bring it into Pleco on your iPad.

LinZheFu

进士
The problem, FYI, was the Samsung USB cable. Once I tried a 3rd party cable, I was able to complete the emergency repair and get the device working again. I'm not sure if the firmware update & Android system software update was the cause, but Pleco is a lot less stable now - many crashes. Will investigate this further.