Screen Reader OCR Characters no longer smooth

michael16

Hi,

I'm running a Samsung tab 4, and ever since an update about 1 month ago, when I use Screen Reader all the characters have become much harsher and rougher, and it seems to affect the ability to recognise characters. I have tried uninstalling Pleco, and then clearing my tablet and starting again, and it happens again. I have tried enforcing font options, but that also doesn't appear to make a difference.

I'm wondering if you have any advice on what I can do to change it? Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm, sorry, is this Screen Reader or Screen OCR? What version of Android is this Tab 4 running?

michael16

Hi,

It is running Android 5.0.2. On the tab it says Screen Reader/OCR, so when you click the floating button and then it highlights all the characters. I have also bought the basic bundle, whether that makes a difference.

On my Samsung S7 it is still smooth. Is there a way to install an older version of pleco to test that?

I have tried changing the fonts to the system fonts and back. Here is a picture of it if you notice, on the 經 character it is very crooked and pixalated, it didn't used to be like that.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, the issue there is actually just that we disabled anti-aliasing on OCR overlay text to improve performance (can get a higher framerate in live OCR if we can draw characters faster). Perhaps we should make that a checkbox instead - to be honest on most Android devices nowadays the screen is high-resolution enough that anti-aliasing is barely noticeable, but on a pre-Retina-Display-era tablet like this one it still is.

Anyway, it's a known / intentional change and wouldn't have any impact on accuracy; if you've found that accuracy has gone down there must be some other reason. (does it help matters any if you turn on 'New OCR' in Settings / OCR?)

michael16

Do you think you could include that option, as I never use live OCR on that android.

At least now I know the problem isn't with my tablet, thanks for your quick replies.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, will either make it an option or just do it automatically in still image mode on low-res tablets in a future bug-fix update.

michael16

Thanks 皇帝! I always like supporting you guys, and I recommend all my students to use your software to learn Chinese (I teach Chinese medicine). You probably don't know, but your software has also allowed us translators in Chinese medicine to be a lot more accurate in using the same disease terms across texts. You are invaluable to our field!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thank you very much! (And yes, we’re very happy we’ve been able to help make this stuff a bit more accessible, though I understand that some in the community were a bit unhappy we used Wiseman’s standards rather than someone else’s)