Searching All Light Tone Characters

dmmyccnt

Is it possible to use the wildcards on Pleco to search up every character that's listed as having a light (also called fifth) tone?

I've tried using "?5" and "*5" and "@5" and "%5" and "~5" but none produce results.

I know, in the past, Pleco required your to use 2 Latin characters before you could start to use a wildcard. Is that what's preventing me from just searching for every light tone in one list?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not something we support at the moment, no. It should theoretically be possible to do a search like that in 4.0, but it wouldn't be covered by our search indexes and so would be very slow (app would have to manually check pinyin for every character in every dictionary).

Honestly you might have an easier time just downloading the data for CC-CEDICT and doing a search-and-replace to find every neutral tone character listed there - can then import the resulting list into Pleco.

dmmyccnt

Thank you for the ideas!

What would the process be for doing a search-and-replace for a neutral tone character? Would it just be searching for the numeral 5 like in Pleco? Are CC-CEDICT entries tagged with "neutral" in some way?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
They aren't specifically tagged but you could look for a 5 followed by a ] to indicate the end of the pronunciation block.