Stability of Android beta e.g. HTC Desire Z vs. iPhone 3GS

mingoz

How stable is the current beta 3 on Android, e.g. HTC Desire Z? Is it stable enough to concentrate on learning Chinese? I tried Pleco on a Desire Z for 15 minutes in a shop and it crashed 6-7 times, so although I'd prefer Android, I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 3GS instead.

Background:
I've seen Pleco running on my friend's iPhone and am quite impressed :D I have just started a new Chinese course and would like to get Pleco myself within the next few days/weeks. I would mainly use Pleco to look up characters that I do not know, probably using OCR or handwriting on the phone. I have an old symbian phone -- E71, so I'm looking at replacing this with something that can run Pleco (I do not want to carry 2 phones around).

I'd like to keep costs low and I'm trying to decide between:
a) second hand iPhone 3GS at about 170e
b) second hand HTC Desire Z at about 250e (I like a physical keyboard for taking notes).

(It's somewhat safe to buy a second hand phone in Finland.)

I'd prefer the openness of Android, e.g. can play around on the system, access file system and install non-store things on the phone, etc. I tried a HTC Desire Z in a shop (Android 2.3.3) and installed Pleco with OCR (downloaded it today 16 Sep). In 15 minutes of testing, Pleco crashed about 6-7 times, e.g. mostly during OCR, sometimes after changing Pleco settings then pressing the back key, and at other times while looking up characters. Sorry I don't have the exact steps to reproduce the bugs as I had a very limited time in the store. I was also only using the demo versions of OCR and the hand writing recognition add-ins.

Is this the level of stability that other people have? Is Pleco running on the HTC Desire Z less or more reliable than other devices? From looking at the forums, I assume the final Android version will not be out for quite a few months, perhaps not even during 2011. I'd like to use Pleco now, but need to be able to concentrate on learning Chinese (instead of restarting Pleco / loosing my place).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Stability of Android beta e.g. HTC Desire Z vs. iPhone 3

I have been using Pleco on my HTC Desire S for well over a month now and haven't had any crashes or stuff like that, yet. Although it took me a while to get used to the Android interface as opposed to my prior Windows Mobile version, I'm really getting used to it and I think it's safe to say that even this beta (!) version is enough to work efficiently.

sfrrr

状元

I haven't really run it through its paces, but I have had no stability problems. None.

Sandra
Samsung galaxy IIS

boen

I get some random crashing. Maybe once per 2 hours of use. (I use Pleco often, 3+ hours per day) It seems to happen in any menu.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Could the two of you experiencing crashes possibly PM or email me with your crash logs? You can get them using the free Android Market apps aLogcat or CatLog - run one of those after you experience a crash and that'll give you the log data, which should hopefully help us diagnose and fix your problem.