Studying Flashcards by Chinese-English and English-Chinese directions

Ledu

举人
Hello everyone. I have been trying to figure out how to study cards by Chinese-English and English-Chinese? I have looked through the forum and can’t find any instructions of what button to press or setting to change.

If I go to Display> Headword> Force character set ON> (I can then choose) simplified, tradtional, simplified-only or traditional-only.

I am not seeing anywhere where I can change my study method from Chinese-English or English to Chinese. I am on an android. I also have the Pleco Professional Bundle UPGRADE. So, I should have the dictionaries to be able to do it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can configure that with the 'show' setting in New Test; just set it to 'definition' and you'll see the English instead of the Chinese.

If you want to make flashcards out of English-to-Chinese dictionary entries, the settings for that are in Settings / Flashcards ('Enable English-to-Chinese') and then in New Test / Card Language.

Ledu

举人
Thanks Mike. After enabling English to Chinese after a few minutes when I went to New Test the new feature popped up showing "Card Language"- between "Card Categories" and "Test Types". Now it is working. I appreciate it.

Ledu

举人
Well, I thought it worked. Then when I clicked English - Chinese to do a test, it said there were no cards and asked me to reset the profile. So, I did. I decided to just go back to studying Chinese-English as before and unchecked the "Enable English-to-Chinese". Now when I go to new test it some of my profiles are only allowing "Review-Only" and "Self-Graded" as test types. I am not really sure what to do now? Should I reset something?

Shun

状元
Hi Ledu,

if you keep the setting "Enable English-to-Chinese" in Settings > Flashcards turned off, you should be able to select all learning types again. One normally uses flashcards based on Chinese-to-English dictionaries and studies them in the English-to-Chinese direction. With English-to-Chinese enabled, one would be studying using flashcards based on English-to-Chinese dictionaries (of which there aren't all that many, such as the 21st Century English-Chinese dictionary).

Cheers, Shun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Turn the setting on again and set those profiles back to Chinese-English, that should give you all of the options again.

Ledu

举人
Turn the setting on again and set those profiles back to Chinese-English, that should give you all of the options again.
I did that and just left "Enable English-Chinese" on and then set each test to Chinese - English. Now all my profiles work. I think I will hold off from studying with English - Chinese. If I turn "Enable English-Chinese" off I will continue to have the problem where I only get Self Graded and Review Only.

I will just keep it on, study with Chinese - English. I can study enough flashcards with Chinese- English. Thanks for your help.