[Suggestion] Add "highlighter" feature for Pleco Reader

Hello,

so, when I'm reading something with Pleco Reader I usually understand most of the sentences thanks to the pop-up definition feature. However, sometimes there are whole sentences I don't get regardless and usually I "collect" them and later on ask natives about them. However, I think it's kind of tedious having to manually copy each sentence and paste it somewhere. That's why I think it would be useful to implement a way of highlighting sentences (and afterwards having them automatically saved to a database). This way, I can just mark the sentences I don't understand and later on view them in the list where they are saved. Maybe there even could be different colours, so that one can categorise them like Yellow = "Sentences I don't understand" and Red = "Expressions I'd like to learn" etc. What do you think of this idea?

i paste difficult sentences into google translate. although the translation may be a little off, in 95% of the cases, it gives me enough clues to unravel the exact meaning. hence, rather than mechanics for later consultation, i would like integration with google translate, to be able to translate within pleco. as offered fx by wechat with bing.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Mostly implemented for 4.0, though it's still on the bubble in terms of possibly getting punted to a later update if we can't finish it efficiently.

i paste difficult sentences into google translate. although the translation may be a little off, in 95% of the cases, it gives me enough clues to unravel the exact meaning. hence, rather than mechanics for later consultation, i would like integration with google translate, to be able to translate within pleco. as offered fx by wechat with bing.
Quick tip: Give the bing translator a try (http://www.bing.com/translator). I find it generally gives better results than google translate.

bing is definitely not bad. i find that, for the texts im translating, it beats google on ~1 out of 3. having access from pleco to both google and bing would be perfect. even when both are wrong, they complement each other with the clues provided. actually, i would like a combined access to translate via both google and bing through "one click".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No dates, not even internally; it'll be done when it's done, we want to get it right + not leave a lot of stuff dangling or half-finished.

let me revise my previous assesment of bing translate versus google translate. it is probably a tie. so i would definitely like pleco to integrate with both. i would like to hear about the experience of others wrt bing vs google! with very advanced texts?