Suggestions / BUGS PlecoDict

Jim

榜眼
The error messages mostly occurred at start up and the dictionary operated with no problem after that. I think there was once or twice where I got a second one when changing languages but I can't say for sure.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That happens in a couple of places actually - we're still adding some rare characters to our font files.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually this is not a bug at all, but a feature that's been there since the first PlecoDict release - which color scheme were you using before you switched to Silver?

mai

秀才
Hmm, never seen the effect before. So then it's a bug when it's not fading out?! I was using the color schemes "clouds" and "desert" ("Wolken" und "Wueste" in german).

Mai

It doesn't seem to be consistent. I usually use velvet. Usually the background text changes colour but not every time. The other difference is the background colour of the list on the right hand side and the character entry box. They change according to the colour scheme too. This might be worth pointing out in a manual as if some user finds they don't like the colour of those panels they may not realise they can change it in preferences.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If we keep the panel coloring we'll definitely point it out - I think we may end up making those panels black-on-white, though, text readability is more important than pretty colors.

Please keep the colours - I think it's cool to be able to change the colour scheme if you want. And I think the text will still always be black, and the backgrounds I think will always be pale colours so they should be very readable.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well maybe we'll make it optional... the Berlitz program makes excellent use of color themes and I suppose it might be nice to keep that going. It's silly to take out something that some people consider a feature without offering the option of restoring it.

gandq

探花
Bug report

i noticed a minor bug on my sony clie nx70. i normally run pleco dict in fullscreen mode with the list on the right and the HWR on the bottom. when i pop up the virtual grafitti area, the HWR switches to 'write anywhere mode' (or whatever i should call it). that is ok and makes sense, except that i cannot select text then or magnify a character, so i switch back to fullscreen after i enter text.

here is the little annoying bug: the HWR remains in 'write anywhere mode and has to be switched back to 'bottom mode with dedicated small input area' manually every time. pleco dict should remember that setting.

cheers,

jo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for pointing this out - we're already making some major changes to the way handwriting works and we'll make sure fixing this is included among them.

gandq

探花
bug

while playing around with the screen customisation, i found a bug in plecodict:

if the HWR is on the left and the list is on the right, the entry field buttons become messed up (some are placed on top of each other).

same with the list on the right and the HWR on the left.

cheers,

jo.

Pampuk

秀才
Bonjour,

This is a small note to be sure the 2 bugs that annoy me so much now will be corrected in March Beta :

1/ on my tungsten C, when I press the down arrow to see the bottom of a definition or to go to next definition, it just go back and forth rapidly, I have to use the screen to do those actions.

2/ when I enter character using CHOS character recognition, the look up is too slow or stupid : it search for first character entered and don't allow me to write the 2nd one until search is over : so if I start writing the 2nd one too early, character recognition doesn't work and I have just selected part a the first character definition instead. So I have to reselect the input line to continue inputing : Very annoying.

Thanks again for your hard work, xinkule.

David

举人
I have been using Plecodict for a few weeks now, and it is already indispensable for me. My PDA just messed up my memory card, so I've had to do without it for a while, which is annoying, but that's another matter. I use the dictionary almost solely in instant access mode because I use it from within Supermemo and because the lookup/display is faster.

Three requests:

1. Add an option for the search to be case insensitive. I use uppercase letters to indicate the tone of the word in pinyin. So that means when I copy the pinyin to Plecodict, the search doesn't work because of the caps.

2. Post the stuff we need to convert text files to custom dictionaries. Mike, I know you said that this already exists, but is very unfriendly. How about just posting the files in the forum here, instead of waiting for a more complete program, for now? I'm dying to try to add a Chinese-Chinese dictionary (and an English-English dictionary). (Even if I get it to work, I would still buy any one that Pleco offered.)

3. If I'm not mistaken, one can't search for the character "2cha1" (the second entry for cha1). You have to enter cha1 then move down to 2cha1. How about fixing that? I could live without this, but it would speed things up.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gandq - actually the bug here is that it shouldn't be possible to have two vertical palettes on a vertical display; in the final version that will be disabled. (there's supposed to be a widescreen hack coming out for Clies in a few weeks, so if you really want to have this sort of interface it should be possible soon)

Pampuk - these should definitely be fixed, #1 we're taking care of the same way we did in Oxford and for #2 we're adding an optional delay before searching.

David - #1 is already on our bug list and will definitely be fixed, and #3 should also be taken care of. As for #2, it's actually a lot more complicated than simply posting what we have now - at the moment we use the same program to encode all of our data files, and there are a number of things (like copy-protection) that we really can't make public. Plus, we're still making some tweaks to the file format, so any database you produced now would be useless a few weeks later.

rapoto

探花
Mistakes in Pleco Dict!

Mike,

here is another mistake in PLECODICT (newest version):

gab n. 空谈 kong1tan2; 废话 fei4hua4; 喋喋不休 die2die2-bu4xiu1: Stop your ~! 住嘴! Zhu4zui3! (别废话 Bei2fei4hua4!) / He has the gift of the ~. 他有口才. Ta1 you3 kou3cai2.

It should be:
(别废话 BIE2fei4hua4!)

I cannot tell you all mistakes I encounter since I dont always have the time (in meeting, on the road, etc.). But even some translations are not quite well done. And I encounter quite some mistakes!

Is there a way to have the dictionary:
a) reviewed by some group for obvious mistakes (spelling, wrong words, etc.)
b) at the same time review the translations on its acuratenes.

I know that especially b) will be difficult, but at least a) should be done.

Thank you,
--Rapoto

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, the text conversion on the NWP dictionary (which was done by a third party) has proven to be a bit of a disappointment - I'm looking into getting someone to review it for us (probably mostly (a) but a little of (b) as well), hopefully we'll have an improved version ready with the finished release of 1.0. We've already gone through and done a pretty thorough job of tagging it with traditional character equivalents, so the simplified-to-traditional conversion should be fairly accurate at least.

The ABC and Oxford databases are based on each dictionary's original source data and so those are quite pristine - the Pinyin conversion mistakes in the older Oxford Dict software were our fault and not Oxford's, and as the Preview Version of PlecoDict attests those are no longer a problem now.

I know it's not perfect, but given the paucity of good English-Chinese dictionaries out there I still think the NWP is well worth having. And for what it's worth, we've located a free English-Chinese wordlist with 110,000 entries at http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Projects/Chinese/ and we're planning to make this available as a free add-on for PlecoDict (along with its Chinese-English twin); the entries are very very short, so it's mostly useful for looking up rare/obscure words, but it should help matters a little bit at least.

BTW, I've said it before but since the subject has come up again: if anybody has any C-E or E-C (or C-C I suppose) dictionaries that they're particularly fond of, I'd love to hear about them - we're always looking for new titles to (attempt to) license.

gandq

探花
keyboard support

dear mike, i am using my clie and netfront to write this post, so it might be a bit messy. i would like to point out one more thing before i just lean back and wait for the beta: the input field of plecodict doesn't really work that well in combination with the keyboard of my clie and with my thinkoutside external keyboard. i can enter text, but there is no support for the direktional keys (the only one that works is the left arrow) and other funktions like delete (backspace works) and selecting text. i actually dont know if this can be fixed, but it would be very cool. i often use my external keyboard to type some translations and quickly switch to plecodict to look up unknown words. with regard to the use of a keyboard, i am also looking foreward to the input delay, as it would speed things up, especially when i delete text to enter a new pinyin search. that's all, cheers jo.

Henry

进士
Penpower and Plecodict

Related to above question,

When I start up Oxford Dict and type pin-yin or english it is automatically entered in the text input line.

However, if I use Penpower to write chinese characters on the screen I have to tap first to select the text input line, it is not automatically entered as when typing.

This is a tiny thing but it comes up often for me, if it were possible for the chinese characters (written with Penpower or any other program) to be automatically entered it would be great.

Thanks, Henry