Tempting eReader bundle

JD

状元
I’m drooling over the new eReader bundle that came out with the latest update. Is that a short-time item, or will it be around for a while?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There’ll be a bundle like it for a while, yes. (but at some point we might add more titles and raise the price, and/or launch a few more subset bundles like the Rainbow Bridge and 四大名书 ones)

Reactions: JD

JD

状元
It’s a great deal!! I’m going to wait 3 more days to let the credit card cycle flip, and then buy it. I have a few of the Rainbow bridge books, and even though they are individually inexpensive, the shipping from China doubles their cost. So much content!

I’d love for future bundles to be segmented (subsets) so you can buy earlier bundles without overlap with new bundles.

rizen suha

状元
hi, got the 4 classics. supposedly available in two guises, simplified and traditional (trad "generated by pleco"). i have everything-pleco in trad settings only. but in the reader im seeing these books, eg journey to the west, only in simplified. how to read/access the traditional "versions"? thanks (also, how does pleco "generate" simp=>trad?)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I’d love for future bundles to be segmented (subsets) so you can buy earlier bundles without overlap with new bundles.

I expect we will do something like that, yes, assuming the bundles in general prove reasonably popular.

hi, got the 4 classics. supposedly available in two guises, simplified and traditional (trad "generated by pleco"). i have everything-pleco in trad settings only. but in the reader im seeing these books, eg journey to the west, only in simplified. how to read/access the traditional "versions"? thanks (also, how does pleco "generate" simp=>trad?)

That’s odd - working fine here. It’s the same file and should switch automatically. Had you perhaps already opened the books before switching to traditional mode? And you’re running the latest version 3.2.63, right?

Generated = run through Google Translate, in this case. (Which is a pretty capable SC/TC converter, actually)

rizen suha

状元
thanks! great to hear that its only a glitch!! im on latest 3.2.37. nope, always and only on traditional. and generating = as suspected, appreciate your candor as always!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... are you looking at the table of contents by any chance? That’s currently simplified-only due to a bug, but the actual content should all be in traditional.

rizen suha

状元
possible hint. i think the pleco-book reader (as a special mode/object) may not be inheriting the global settings. eg the color scheme is not applied either.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Could you post or PM me screenshots of Settings/Languages and of the text showing in simplified? (Perhaps I’m missing something in trying to reproduce this)

JD

状元
minor nitpick: if one has Night-mode on in Pleco, the images in the Rainbow Bridge ebooks are negative images which look horrible.

I very much prefer the Night-mode for reading, but the pictures look poor.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
minor nitpick: if one has Night-mode on in Pleco, the images in the Rainbow Bridge ebooks are negative images which look horrible.

Yeah, we'd like to eventually go back and add better color-corrected night images (fully supported by our format, wouldn't even need an app update), but we had 35 Rainbow Bridge books to get through with a variety of color schemes and this was a fast minimally-functional solution at least :)

Reactions: JD

Alexis

状元
Say a fellow bought the 2019 Spring ebook bundle. Would it be possible for the "Pleco ebooks" menu to have a sub-menu for category, and/or options to sort from easiest to hardest? Also a way to mark a book as read.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Possibly, we'd need a consistent rating system for that first. But we definitely need to revamp e-book organization, yes. (TBH my current recommendation would be that you not actually download all of them at once but just download a few and swap them out when you're done with them)

rizen suha

状元
bad formatting in all pleco books. suboptimal use of space when using large font. pleco book example in grey. non pleco book in yellow.

Attachments

• F4491E03-8B0F-46CA-810C-6CF53450B53A.png
    F4491E03-8B0F-46CA-810C-6CF53450B53A.png
    392.7 KB · Views: 491
  • 69A70476-BE34-4C96-A821-2DEDF8FCE166.png
    69A70476-BE34-4C96-A821-2DEDF8FCE166.png
    523.8 KB · Views: 470

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Maybe tweak the font size? It looks like you could go a few points bigger for the Pleco one. (That being said, this is not a font size scenario we’ve done much optimizing around...)