Text entry on "Search Settings"

dcarpent

榜眼
Hi. I'm a fairly new Pleco user, using an old Palm Tungsten E that a friend gave me. I am still exploring everything that this program can do, which is quite a lot! I've run into a difficulty with the search function when managing flashcards however. The "Search Settings" panel lets you search for flashcards by, for instance, degree of difficulty. There is a line for entering a value, with the default value of "0" showing. If I tap on that line I get a blinking cursor ready for text input, but there is no text entry icon on the page to use for entering text, and the Tungsten E's native keyboard doesn't function when I try to access it. So I am unable to specify a value for any of the search criteria that require one. I'm I missing something? Is this a shortcoming of the Palm Tungsten E? Is it a program bug?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
What about if you write text in the Tungsten's built-in text input area (the box below the screen where you can handwrite characters and numbers) - does that work correctly? The input button should show up in those boxes in most modes, but perhaps it's not showing up with numerical ones like that degree cutoff - if you do a search for, say, "headword," does the input button appear then?

dcarpent

榜眼
If I do a search for a headword then I see an input icon (the ru4 character) to the right that I can use to call up the Pleco text entry screen. If I have the main search page set up for a headword search and then go to "Settings" at the bottom of that same screen the resulting "Settings" screen does indeed show an input icon next to "headword". But if I change the search parameter to any of the options that require numerical input (score, length, difficulty), there is no icon. Furthermore, the inbuilt keyboard on the Palm doesn't seem to be available. I touch the icon that is supposed to call up the keyboard ("ABC") and nothing happens.

By the way, thanks for such a great program. I had not heard of Pleco until Tom Bishop of the Wenlin Institute recently told me about it. I've been using Wenlin for two years and love it, but needed a portable version as well, which he doesn't offer. Now I have both, which is great. Your flashcard system is awesome. I'm really getting a lot of use out of it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I think we hid the icon intentionally, actually, though in hindsight it seems kind of stupid - should be easy to fix in the next bug-fix update, anyway. The abc button not working is just a function of the non-standard way our text input fields work, so that's not really a fixable thing.

And you're very welcome! Glad you're finding it useful.