The new handwriting recognizer

curwenx

秀才
Hi,

I'm very pleased with the new handwriting recognizer. I find it recognizes my characters just as well as penpower which I have been using up to now. There are however still some small things I miss from penpower, hope you have time to consider them eventually :)

Firstly, an option for auto-recognizing a character after a selectable timeout.

Also, when you accept a character, the recognizer automatically turns itself off. Since most words in Chinese are two characters long, this doesn't really make sense. On average it would be faster to turn it off manually.

Furthermore, the ability to use the whole screen area for writing (except perhaps the toolbar at the bottom) would be really nice. Now I cannot use the input and toolbar area.

Finally, an option for setting color and brush thickness would be great. As it is now I find the character I write very difficult to read.

PS: The title for the PlecoDict forum still says "Discussion of our new Chinese dictionary product, recently made available in a preview release." I think that title deserves an update.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
A couple of these are in there already, actually. In the "Input" section of Preferences there's an option for "HWR auto-rec"; enable that and the characters will automatically be recognized. You can also un-check the "Disable palette HWR after input" option to keep the recognizer from turning off after every character.

We didn't set the recognizer to work on the entire screen because the fade effect doesn't work well if there are colors other than black under it. But I suppose if we implemented selectable color and brush thickness that we could offer the option to disable the fade effect and extend the writing area.

I've fixed the form title - thanks for pointing that out, I'm surprised I didn't notice it earlier.