Two separate SRS systems possible?

I was wondering if it is possible to run two separate SRS sets at the same time.

I am trying to learn the pronunciation and definition by looking at a character in one set. In the other set (ideally) I would look at the definition and pronunciation and write the character from memory on a whiteboard.

Let's say I go through my cards for the day and learn the definitions and pronunciation. If I then want to work on my writing, I am shown the same cards again regardless of how well I know the characters or not. Since I just started, this isn't a problem. But in the future the system might become super inefficient, making me write characters I know really well and not focusing on one's I frequently miss when writing. In other words, the system will come to know my accuracy with recalling definitions and pronunciation but not how good I am at writing the characters.

Maybe I am approaching this whole thing wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Shun

状元
Hi Ethan,

yes, there is a way to do this efficiently in version 3.2 (I don't remember how it will work in version 4.0). By creating two different profiles, each with a different scorefile, Pleco uses two separate histories for each learning direction. Of course, at the beginning, you will be shown the same cards for both tasks, but as you progress, in one profile, you will only see the cards you had trouble with in that direction, and in the other profile, you will only see the difficult cards in the other direction.

If you feel you're are shown the same cards too often with this setup, you could lower the "Learned" threshold from 400 to 300.

Personally, I must say I prefer the "Random" card selection method with filters added sometimes. I feel it gives me more control over which cards I get. But it should definitely work with SRS the way I outlined above.

Shun,

Thanks, that worked like a charm. Just get Pleco yesterday so I am still a bit overwhelmed by the level of customization.

Thanks again,

Ethan

Shun,

I bring bad news. It appeared to be working at first since I have very few flashcards, but in fact Pleco had been sharing the flashcard data with each profile. I tried creating duplicates of all of the cards and then assigning each set to each profile, then reset one of the flashcard stats for one set... turned out that deleted the stats for both sets of cards. Oops. Any other ideas?

Ethan

Shun

状元
Hi Ethan,

oops, that sounds like no new scorefile was created. If you create a new scorefile in "Scoring > Scorefile > Manage > New" and select it for one profile, then change to the other profile and select the other scorefile there, you have two separate sets of flashcard data for each type of test. Two separate profiles using the same scorefile will just give two different sets of settings, but one set of score data.

I apologize for just mentioning "scorefile" and not telling you exactly where to go. :)

Cheers,

Shun

Last edited:

pdwalker

状元
Hi Ethan,

Have a read through this thread - this may give you a better idea of how to set things up based on the examples provided.

I use up to 5 score files (3 commonly) to keep track of the various things I want to test.