using English in the character headword field

michaelpl

秀才
I've been creating a set of flashcards to focus on chinese grammar points. So I need to put a few english words in the headword field sometimes.
For example..

越+Verb+越+Adjective

Unfortunately, the way Pleco renders the english words through a chinese font makes them rather long so you get an effective more like...
越+V e r b+越+A d j e c t i v e

making the title very long and harder to read. (above is a rough reproduction)

I've played around trying to use other chinese fonts in the font settings for Pleco but haven't found one that helps. Also, once you start changing from the default font it seems prevent me from displaying bold in the definition field.

Does anyone have experience with putting English into the headword field? I realize I am pushing Pleco beyond what it was designed for, but I find the flashcard system very robust and a good way to memorize, not just words, but grammar.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Why not just create them as English flashcards? (turn on the option for that in Settings / Flashcards)

michaelpl

秀才
They are both english and chinese, so would that work?
Also, i don't see that option..in Settings/Flashcards I see "enable English-Chinese" is that what you mean?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, "Enable English-Chinese" and you should then have an option to edit a card with an English headword. That should cause it to be rendered in a regular English font.

michaelpl

秀才
I see that, it works!
although I only enabled English/Chinese for a few cards which had more english in the headword than chinese, as you loose the pronunciation field.

just a clarification to anyone reading this later.. after you enable 'English-Chinese' you need to create new cards for it to work.. either in PLECO directly or via XML import where you should set <card language="english">