Using iTunes resets all Pleco add-ons

TGD

Hello, having a little trouble here....

I've purchased the OCR and Basic Bundle.

However, everytime i connect my iPhone to iTunes, all the add-ons, and extra dictionaries seem to dissapear. Even going into re-download them doesn't follow through. Pressing the download button doesnt do anything.

The only way to fix this is to:
- uninstall Pleco [i get an error if i try to use iTunes to uninstall it, so i have to use some dubious Chinese "91" software to uninstall it - which actually works better than iTunes].
- reinstall Pleco through USB.
- re-connect to the tediously slow wifi connection.
- restore and download purchases.

This takes some time, and as a daily occurence, it can be a little frustrating.

I have updated iTunes a number of times, and even went to an Apple store to buy a new official Apple cable for 228rmb. Hasn't fixed the problem. And i'm really unsatisfied with the functionality of iTunes and Apple in general.

Some background:
- I have multiple Windows PCs which i use to transfer files, etc (again, the "fascist" iTunes would prefer users to sync to only 1 PC :)
- i bought my iPhone in mainland China (before it's official Chinese release). I believe it is an imported model from either Japan or USA, i think it has been unlocked and jailbroken. Because of this i am weary about using the reset function because the sales folks told me i'd lose phone functionality if i reset it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
TGD said:
However, everytime i connect my iPhone to iTunes, all the add-ons, and extra dictionaries seem to dissapear. Even going into re-download them doesn't follow through. Pressing the download button doesnt do anything.

That's probably the strangest part of this - does your iPhone still have a working internet connection after you sync it with iTunes?

In general it sounds like iTunes is pulverizing all of your user-specific data for some reason - have you noticed data disappearing from any other apps, or is Pleco the main / only third-party app you're using?

Also, since your phone is jailbroken and you're not happy with iTunes anyway, have you thought about finding a jailbreak-based solution for transferring files? There are a number of utilities that'll let you transfer files to and from a jailbroken iPhone without any iTunes involvement - even from specific apps' directories - and I believe there are also tools that'll let a jailbroken iPhone use a USB cable instead of a WiFi / 3G connection to get on the internet.

gato

状元
It sounds like a password authorization problem, doesn't it?

It sounds like you have a complicated set (synching with multiple PCs, use of 91 Helper, which is used often for unauthorized software). There might be a conflict between the other software you have installed (particularly jail-broken non-App store software) and Pleco.