Using Pleco on a Dumbphone

astahxo

Hi everybody!

I'm thinking about getting rid of my smartphone and using a dumbphone instead.

However, Pleco is one of the only smart uses I make of my phone.

I wanted to know if anyone had experienced using Pleco on a dumbphone like the Nokia 6300 and whether or not it would work at all.

Thanks in advance

Shun

状元
Hi astahxo,

a dumbphone like the Nokia 6300 uses a different, simpler OS, so it can't run Pleco, which runs on either Android or iOS/iPadOS. I actually have one from Caterpillar which only needs to be recharged once every 20 days instead of daily like smartphones. I'd suggest that you keep your old smartphone with the SIM card taken out, and use it just for Pleco. Wi-Fi should still work for updates.

Hope this helps,

Shun

astahxo

Thanks a lot for the quick reply Shun!
I guess I'll either do that or use it on a windows android emulator.
I don't use Pleco on the go nearly as much as I used to.

Shun

状元
You're welcome! An emulator should work, if you don't need copy and paste or handwriting input.

Fernando

榜眼
I like to see threads like this cause I realise I'm not alone in believing that we're living through the 低頭族 apocalypse.

I think another alternative to using Pleco on a smartphone is just buying a cheap Android tablet. Unless pocketability is a must for you, a tablet will probably give you a better experience overall. I use Pleco on a basic iPad, the one Apple manufactures to get children hooked on their ecosystem. While not cheap, it's still cheaper than the cheapest iPhone.

Shun

状元
Hi Fernando,

I agree, though a smartphone you already own will always be cheaper than even a cheap Android tablet. ;)

Cheers, Shun

yee

举人
Consider smartphone without data. Just phone&text. Prepaid , no contract possible.

Can run pleco and have only 1 device.