Using Plecodict to read docs on a Pocket PC

caesartg

榜眼
Hello Mike Huangdi,

I've just got myself a Pocket PC, but sadly no charger, USB cable, software or anything else for that matter. However, I managed to install my new copy of Plecodict before the battery gave up.

Anyway, just need to ask you: Is there any equivalent of the DA Launcher tool for the PPC version? I've managed to get Chinese docs to show up in Word, but I'm guessing there's no simple way to lookup what I'm reading. Will I have to wait for the new improved Pleco to do this? And if I post over a thousand messages here, do I also get to be emperor?

Cheers

Ben

ldolse

状元
Tie Pleco to a hardware button

Tie Pleco to one of your hardware buttons - I replaced the PIE button with Pleco.

Once you've done that just highlight the words you want with your stylus, then click the hardware button. The words will load into Pleco. I typically highlight whole sentences or phrases at a time, and then go through different dictionaries to see where the words break. Once I'm satisfied I understand something I delete the words at the front of the sentence and pleco will automatically look up the next ones.

Pleco can act a little strange when you put a whole sentence of characters in the search field - I typically find I can't type in new characters or spaces to get Pleco to do a new search, so it's helpful to add the search button to the UI (in preferences) to force it to search again when it gets confused.

The other thing is there are some OS limitations where Pleco won't always see the text you highlighted. It should work fine from word, but it won't work from many other applications. Poutlook emails don't work as a for instance. If something isn't working I'll just copy/paste what I'm reading into a new note using the notes function, as notes work without fail with Pleco.

Thanks,

Lee