Using Plecodict with Penpower

curwenx

秀才
I'm using Penpower as my handwriting recognizer with PlecoDict. In general everything works excellent. I do however have one small gripe.
I use the full screen character input (P1), and whenever I need to deactivate it, I have to press the calculator button three times. Since I have to activate and deactivate PenPower quite often (e.g. every time I want to select text), having to tap three times becomes quite annoying.

An option to enable/disable Penpower with a single button tap would be really nice.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm... I think you might want to write penpower about that.

But, there is a a way you can "turn off PP" to highlight text on the screen. Just do a quick tap on the screen and then hightlight. Works for me.

Attachments

• pleco2.png
    pleco2.png
    303.6 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_20110626_094827.jpg
    IMG_20110626_094827.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 566

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Almost exactly the reply I would have written... yes, unfortunately there's not really any way we can tell PenPower to turn off. However, you might have some luck with the "Use Pleco Insertion Point" preferences option - this will often trick PenPower into thinking that it's no longer in a screen where it can insert text, and therefore turn itself off.

curwenx

秀才
The tap-trick works quite well, thanks!
I can't really see any difference with pleco insertion point turned on or off though. What's that option supposed to do?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Basically, it uses our own code to draw the text insertion point instead of Palm's. The reason this is important is that PenPower checks to see whether the Palm insertion point is active before it starts to capture a character; if you'd like PenPower to be automatically disabled when using PlecoDict, turning this option on will trick PenPower into thinking it's not in a screen where it can input text, causing it to disable itself. (but this only works with Input Field Compatibility turned off)