Weird behavior when typing pinyin in lookup box

mirgcire

I have a new android (2.3.5) phone and I downloaded pleco right away. I have used it for years on my iphone and have no complaints. However something about the android version seems to be weird. When I try to type in "feng", I get "fend". As soon as I type "fen" it fills in the "d" automatically. I can choose the "fen" from the word bar, then erase a space and type the "g", that the seems inordinately clunky. I get this behavior no matter what mode I am in 中/英 or PLC/CC. Can anyone tell me what setting will return the lookup box to normal mode? Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mirgcire said:
I have a new android (2.3.5) phone and I downloaded pleco right away. I have used it for years on my iphone and have no complaints. However something about the android version seems to be weird. When I try to type in "feng", I get "fend". As soon as I type "fen" it fills in the "d" automatically. I can choose the "fen" from the word bar, then erase a space and type the "g", that the seems inordinately clunky. I get this behavior no matter what mode I am in 中/英 or PLC/CC. Can anyone tell me what setting will return the lookup box to normal mode? Thanks!

It sounds like the keyboard you're using has a bug that causes it to ignore the "don't make suggestions" system flag that we automatically set in the Pleco input field. Try switching to a different keyboard - does that help matters any? (to switch keyboards, simply double-tap on the keyboard button in the input method selection bar)

mirgcire

When I switch to from Samsung Keyboard to Android Keyboard the problem goes away. When I switch back to Samsung the behavior changes. The new behavior is that it just ignores the "g" when I type it. Other weird stuff happens when I type zhong, chuan, etc. Well, at least I have a work around. Thanks for the quick reply!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mirgcire said:
When I switch to from Samsung Keyboard to Android Keyboard the problem goes away. When I switch back to Samsung the behavior changes. The new behavior is that it just ignores the "g" when I type it. Other weird stuff happens when I type zhong, chuan, etc. Well, at least I have a work around. Thanks for the quick reply!

No problem! Sorry about that - still not sure why they'd be ignoring our "no suggestions" setting.