weird problem plus random stupid questions

sfrrr

状元
In no particular order.

1. Where should the fonts reside--internal memory or lifedrive? My chinese characters aren't displaying. I just get the extended symbols for the western ASCII characters.

2. How do I convert a pd flashcard backup file back to pdb so that I can import it back into PD and use it again? For that matter, do flashcard files go into internal memory or lifedrive?

3. I don't think I dreamed this. Isn't there a setting that permits you (and me) to write your character (to be recognized) anywhere on the screen--i.e. not just in the HWR box?

4. Oh, phoo. Forgot.

And now for the weird problem. I've had my LifeDrive for two or three days. I immediately installed PlecoDict, FileZ. Paragon's 250 Solitaires, and three old, tiny programs (Nono, hMaki and Xoki). Sometime yesterday afternoon, the graffiti writing area disappeared. The bottom Palm toolbar also disappeared. I can still input (most of the time) by feel--I know where the lower and upper case letters and numbers go.) I can't bring the keyboard up no way no how. I can bring up the menus by tapping either along the bottom (now just a large white space, about half the screen) or in the top left corner of the screen. Deleting the old games and solitaire doesn't help and I doubt it's PlecoDict. And I'm not too keen on a hard reset and reinstalling the programs one by one to see if any one of them triggers the problem again. I've already spent too much time on this. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Sandra

Attachments

• alogcat.2012-12-29-17-25-31+0800.txt
    82.8 KB · Views: 512
  • alogcat.2012-12-29-17-26-24+0800.txt
    74.2 KB · Views: 454
  • alogcat.2012-12-29-14-55-27+0800.txt
    75.7 KB · Views: 333

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1. The fonts should be OK in either location; where in PlecoDict are the characters not displaying? If you've turned on Input Field Compatibility, turn it off - that will fix this problem in the text input field. If PlecoDict can't detect a font file then it won't even start up, so it's unlikely that the problem is related to missing fonts.

2. In what format did you export the flashcards? If they're a text file, you don't need to convert them to pdb - simply import the file as text and type in the location of the file on your LifeDrive. If you're referring to a backed-up PlecoDict Flashcards file from your old Palm, just install that to your LifeDrive and it'll replace the current flashcard file. (unfortuntaely there's no way to mrege in multiple flashcard data files)

3. Yes; just tap-hold on the handwriting recognition button, put the recognizer on the left/right/bottom part of the screen, then press the resize button to collapse the recognizer to a thin control bar. That will let you write characters anywhere.

No idea about this other problem, have you tried just doing a soft reset? You might want to contact palmOne tech support on this.

sfrrr

状元
O Great and Merciless Huang Di--

Thanks for the help. You solved all my problems. I think. Now that I'm used to it, the blank writing area doesn't bother me much. One day it will fix itself or I'll figure out the problem. What the hell...

Thanks again,

Sandra

sfrrr

状元
I just thought of something about my missing graffiti area (or rather visually missing--it still works). One person posted on the Brighthand LifeDrive forum that his LD did the same thing. He solved it with a hard reset. His graffiti area not only disappeared but didn't work blindly either. And it happened right after he installed two programs that were specifically for the Tungsten shenme. I can't remember, but the point is that the disappearance was caused by installing two inappropriate, shall we say, programs.

I'm satisfied with my status quo, but thought I'd tell you in case it affects your programming in some way. You don't need to reply unless you need more info.

Sandra

Attachments

• fareastevrydaybk1.txt
    26.6 KB · Views: 459

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yikes - that's probably a bug in that new experimental automated installer program. It's supposed to only install those files on the T3, but apparently it put them on your LifeDrive too...

sfrrr

状元
Is that the Program Installer I have in my LD's internal memory? If so, that suggests it's safe to delete it.