Worse handwriting recognition in android than in IOS?

dlezcano

秀才
I recently switched from Iphone to Android and, since I make many flashcard tests with the "conceal handwriting until done" option turned on, I feel that handwriting recognition was more precise in my old Iphone. This wouldn't be a big deal when searching words in the dictionary, but in my flashcards sessions I have to change the score very often since pleco failed to recognize the character I wanted to write in first place.
My question is if there is something I am doing wrong or if it is actually something that depends on the software on different phones. If it is the latter case it would be great improving the accuracy.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you using the basic free handwriting recognizer or the 'enhanced' one? If you transferred your handwriting purchase from iOS then you should have access to 'enhanced,' but it might be that you never got around to downloading it; enhanced is the same engine as on iOS, the free built-in one is older and less accurate.

If you're already using the enhanced recognizer and it's still not working well, try turning off the options in Settings / Handwriting to recognize HK/Japanese and extra-rare characters; does that help?

If that doesn't help either, it could be some compatibility issue with your phone's screen or digitizer - what model of phone is this?

dlezcano

秀才
Yes I already had the enhanced handwriting enabled. Just now I disabled the recognition for rare characters and made a test session and noticed there may be an improvement, anyway I had to turn rare simplified characters on again since common characters like 窦 or 皙would not show up.
Compared to my old iphone, I would say the accuracy in my new samsung s20+ became just a little worse but enough to feel something had changed, for instance, out of 60 characters, iphone failed to recognize about 3, and on android it increased to about 10.
Anyway thanks for your help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... maybe a resolution problem? Does it work better if you draw characters so they only take up like 1/4 of the drawing area?

dlezcano

秀才
Hmm... maybe a resolution problem? Does it work better if you draw characters so they only take up like 1/4 of the drawing area?
Yes, that made the sessions much smoother even though the characters actually looked less recognizable due to their smaller size. This definitely solved the issue, thanks!