Zire72 and garbled chinese text display

smeenz

秀才
I downloaded the trial version of plecodict to play with today and was so impressed that within an hour I had purchased the full thing. I've been studying chinese part time for a year and your application is just brilliant.

There is one thing however that seems to be broken - while the dictionary definition area of the screen correctly displays chinese characters, the input box where I can type seems to always display text from the US-en character set, so when it tries to display chinese, I see garbled international (roman) characters instead. This happens if I accept a character in the handwriting recognition, or if I highlight chinese text and use the bent arrow toolbar thing to copy it to the text area, or if I use the palm /C and /P functions to copy and paste. I can copy and enter english text without a problem.

In all other areas of the application, chinese characters are displayed correctly.

Also, if I enable Instant access in in Prefs/Characters from a button press, all characters in the resulting box that pops up when I press the assigned button are also garbled.

I tried playing around with the (prefs/characters/external text encoding) and input field compatibility settings, but they didn't seem to make any difference.

My hardware is a Zire 72, OS 5.2.8, with a 256mb SD card, and with all plecodict databases and programs installed onto the SD card.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Turn off Input Field Compatibility and that should get the text to display normally in the Input Field - that option's only designed for use with external Chinese display systems like CJKOS. If simply disabling it doesn't work, exit/reopen PlecoDict and that should definitely get the characters to draw correctly.

As for Instant Access, there's unfortunately no way to use that without a Chinese display system, but you wouldn't want to anyway since it's mainly designed to look up characters in other programs (and you'll already need a Chinese system in order to display those).

smeenz

秀才
mikelove said:
Turn off Input Field Compatibility and that should get the text to display normally in the Input Field - that option's only designed for use with external Chinese display systems like CJKOS. If simply disabling it doesn't work, exit/reopen PlecoDict and that should definitely get the characters to draw correctly.

Ahh... thanks. It was that simple. I must have turned it on while trying to make the instant access work and hadn't realised the problem within the program only occured when I enabled it.

mikelove said:
As for Instant Access, there's unfortunately no way to use that without a Chinese display system, but you wouldn't want to anyway since it's mainly designed to look up characters in other programs (and you'll already need a Chinese system in order to display those).

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks