Zire72 battery draining?

Aunty

举人
Since starting to use the Pleco flashcards a few days ago, I've found that the battery on my Z72 is getting mysteriously used up. Maybe it's something else, just a coincidence, but I'll describe it in case anyone else sees similar.

It's gone according to this pattern (as I remember it) at least three or four times:
After an overnight charge, I play an mp3 for 15-20 minutes on the way to work.
An hour or so later, I use the flashcards -- testing and/or maintaining -- for about 5-10 minutes.
I might look up a phone number or respond to an alarm a while later, or I might not. Then after 2-4 hours, I turn the PDA on for a flashcard session over lunch, and find that the battery is around 30% or down to almost empty.

The first couple of times this happened, Pleco came up with an error message, one time it said something about insufficient memory and suggested deleting something to make room. That's when I returned to the main screen to check free internal memory (2mb left) and noticed the battery was down to a thin coloured line. Now I check the battery state before trying to use it! :)

Previously I'd been able to have many long mp3 sessions and several reading and writing scheduling and game sessions through the day, with occasional use of Pleco's Instant Access but no flashcard use, and the battery never went low. It's possible that I'm doing something else new, too, but I can't think of anything so far. I have made one change within Pleco when starting use the flashcards: I've set the 5-way button centre and right to reveal and OK the flashcards.

(BTW I'm aware that this model has a known issue with the battery draining if you use the lock feature and I've never used that at all.)

If it is something to do with using PlecoDict, maybe it's simply using more power than my normal apps, or maybe I need to return to the PDA's main screen after use in order to prevent the battery continuing to be used. That's where I'm experimenting right now.

When I work out what's going on, be it Pleco or something else causing it, I'll report back in case someone else ever has the same problem. Meanwhile if I'm not the first to see this, please let me know.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It certainly could be a Pleco issue, particularly since you've just started using flashcards - the system we use to temporarily take over the Palm's hardware application buttons for that seems to muck up the Palm OS' power management system for some reason, many people can't even turn their Palm on and off during a flashcard session. In 2.0 we're disabling support for those buttons and limiting flashcard button input on Palm to the (much safer) 5-way navigator only, so this should definitely be fixed in that.