2.0.2 Beta 3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, managed to reproduce it now - don't know how I missed it before. Should be easy to fix for 2.0.2b4 anyway. Thanks!

ben_gb

探花
Two other bugs I've noticed....

- sometimes it is difficult to select characters or words in dictionary entries (so they can be copied/pasted or copied to the search box).
I saw this before on my Touch HD too (using an older beta). When this happens, the process of selecting characters becomes very slow and the touchscreen becomes loses it's sensitivity. You have to press down VERY hard on the screen, and swipe over the selection very slowly, for the highlight to appear. It seems to happen when the dictionary entry is longer than a screen (so the scroll bar appears). I guess there may be some conflict between the scrolling and the selection function. I tried this with "disable Touchflow on fullscreen" switched on and off, but it's the same.

- when you are entering or editing a flashcard, if the entry goes onto the next line, the cursor is sometimes positioned in the wrong place. It seems to be related to the length of the word at the point when the word-wrap takes place and a scroll-bar is inserted. To reproduce: open a new blank flashcard to input, go to the Pron: line. Then enter "this is a test card what is the time" you will see that it ends up as "this is a test card ws the timehat i". I think this might happen on all the fields when they reach the end of the displayed field and have to put a scroll-bar in.

Ben

Tapcis Crash while importing new vocab list.

About word #105 or a little before, it came to an ambiguous entry. Looked like there were 2 entries, but the down arrow to examine the second entry didn't work. However, it might have already frozen. I waited a little while, and it came up with the Reset button dialog, and the device reset itself after I clicked on the button (didn't do the back hard reset). After reset, words up to that word seem OK.

I reduced the import file to just 20 or so entries, and it hung again on the same word just now. "Ambiguous Card", so it's reproducible for me at least.

Changing the Ambiguous Entries option to "Use First" got past that word, but it took 10 minutes to get to 19 our of 21 on the screen, and then reset again. I had Ambiguous: Use First, and Duplicate : Merge Looking at the words after the reset, all 21 words are there in the correct place.

Separate items. The new Organize screen
  • - fonts are a little too big within the two boxes of words.
    - The dialog screen does not stretch in landscape mode.
    - Also, the word "(all) appears between Copy and Move, in the middle, but there's no way to select all at once when one of the sides is "uncatergorized".
    - Last, it may seem silly, but could you put "uncategorized at both the top and bottom when there are many categories? It takes me about 15 taps to get down to it, since it opens at category #1 each time.

When importing, if I select "Prompt" for Duplicate Entries, I do not have a choice of "Merge Cats". Could this be added to the prompts, so that I can get the full range of possibilities within the prompt?

A feature request for sometime (?). When reading in the reader (a Harry Potter book here), it does not allow me to select text if that text isn't in a dictionary. I would like to be able to select names, etc. so that I can more easily add them to a user dictionary. So, allow selecting and copying text (perhaps if it didn't come from a dictionary with "to reader" button?). And/or add an option to select text and start a new dictionary entry right there. That's more useful, but seems more complicated, because of coming back to the reader, etc. But, that's your call, of course.

Shadowdh

状元
ben_gb said:
Two other bugs I've noticed....

- sometimes it is difficult to select characters or words in dictionary entries (so they can be copied/pasted or copied to the search box).
I saw this before on my Touch HD too (using an older beta). When this happens, the process of selecting characters becomes very slow and the touchscreen becomes loses it's sensitivity. You have to press down VERY hard on the screen, and swipe over the selection very slowly, for the highlight to appear. It seems to happen when the dictionary entry is longer than a screen (so the scroll bar appears). I guess there may be some conflict between the scrolling and the selection function. I tried this with "disable Touchflow on fullscreen" switched on and off, but it's the same.
Ben

This is probably the touchflo problem that many HTC phones have... you actually have to disable the touchflo if you want it to work correctly if there are scroll bars on the screen, this is also the case when writing characters on the full screen mode... you can also try to exclude Pleco from the touchflo function...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ben_gb - this first issue does sound like it's TouchFlo-related - the "disable TouchFlo" feature only works when you're using the fullscreen handwriting recognizer (basically it works by temporarily deactivating the scrollbar to trick TouchFlo into thinking it's not something it should try to scroll) so it wouldn't help with text selection unfortunately. If you disable TouchFlo scrolling at the system level, though, that should clear this up.

The other issue sounds like one of a couple of lingering bugs with editable multiline text fields - should be easy to reproduce / fix, anyway. Can you remember if this was in an earlier release too? We have made a couple of changes to text field display recently but with this particular sort of bug I think it's more likely it's been around for a while.

stephanhodges - could you send along that import list? Or at least the couple of entries that are giving you problems? If you're still having the profile / statistics issues you've been having in earlier betas I'd appreciate it if you could send your latest flashcard database too (the version we have is a few months old and didn't seem to show any of those problems aside from the now-fixed category rearrangement issue).

On Organize, I'm not sure if we can get resizing enabled in there in time for 2.0.2 but we'll try to do it in a later release at least. What do you mean by the fonts being "too big," do they go past the bounds of the lists or are they just too big to be comfortably readable? Good point about "all," we should hide that once we've hidden the arrow. We'll see what we can do with Uncategorized, probably best to just put it on top rather than have it on both sides and confuse people with the question of whether it meant a different thing in each. Not sure how we'd fit "Merge Cats" in that duplicate prompt screen without redesigning it completely, though I agree it'd be a good idea to add.

We've had a few requests for text selection in the reader, though to implement that we'd probably need to add a button to enable / disable normal text selection, so it needs to wait for the increasingly-anticipated reader UI redesign.

Sending the file via email.

As for text selection in reader, just being able to select text when it's not in a dictionary would be great for me, but I guess you're right. You'd need to perhaps add a button to temporarily disable the dictionary look up.

I had given up on the statistics issues, as it just had not been working at all, no matter what. I'll try it again and report back.

ben_gb

探花
mikelove said:
ben_gb - this first issue does sound like it's TouchFlo-related - the "disable TouchFlo" feature only works when you're using the fullscreen handwriting recognizer (basically it works by temporarily deactivating the scrollbar to trick TouchFlo into thinking it's not something it should try to scroll) so it wouldn't help with text selection unfortunately. If you disable TouchFlo scrolling at the system level, though, that should clear this up.

The other issue sounds like one of a couple of lingering bugs with editable multiline text fields - should be easy to reproduce / fix, anyway. Can you remember if this was in an earlier release too? We have made a couple of changes to text field display recently but with this particular sort of bug I think it's more likely it's been around for a while.

Hm...I dont want to lose the Touchflo scrolling everywhere! Could you add an option to disable it just in Pleco, or even just disable it when a full screen dictionary entry is displayed. Maybe this is a bug in Touchflo, as I notice there is a similar problem if you use Word Mobile. I'll try reporting it to HTC to see if they have any suggestions.

Regarding the editing problems...I did see these problems a few versions back on my Touch HD, but I wasn't doing much editing at the time, and had lots of other software which could have been causing them. Now I've got a new Diamond 2 and have been editing more, so I've been able to narrow down exactly when the problem is occuring.

Shadowdh

状元
ben_gb said:
Hm...I dont want to lose the Touchflo scrolling everywhere! Could you add an option to disable it just in Pleco, or even just disable it when a full screen dictionary entry is displayed. Maybe this is a bug in Touchflo, as I notice there is a similar problem if you use Word Mobile. I'll try reporting it to HTC to see if they have any suggestions.

Have you tried the exclusion feature...? I didnt have much luck with it in my TyTN II but have not yet tried it in my X1... will give it a go later and see if it works...

ben_gb

探花
Shadowdh said:
Have you tried the exclusion feature...? I didnt have much luck with it in my TyTN II but have not yet tried it in my X1... will give it a go later and see if it works...

Hm...I haven't heard of this feature! Sounds like it would be worth trying. But where is it? I can't find anything about it under the Touchflo settings (though maybe it's been deleted in the Diamond 2 version of Touchflo).

mfcb

状元
ben_gb said:
Shadowdh said:

Hm...I haven't heard of this feature! Sounds like it would be worth trying. But where is it? I can't find anything about it under the Touchflo settings (though maybe it's been deleted in the Diamond 2 version of Touchflo).

i think you need a free tool called "diamond TF3D config" to configure exceptions (google for it). i use a TouchFlo replacement, called FTouchSL, but that is not for free. i never had any of these "scrolling problems" ;)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - thanks! And I think we'd either need a button or a preferences option to have the reader not automatically adjust the highlight to reflect the longest dictionary match found - not sure what other negative consequences that might have, though.

ben_gb - no way for us to disable it (HTC doesn't seem to provide an API for that) - as I said, our thing is just a hack, we can't go disabling the scrollbar in definitions all the time - but those configuration utilities certainly might help. I suppose we could, say, create our own Pleco Windows scrollbar control which TouchFlo doesn't recognize as a scrollbar, thus causing it to leave TouchFlo off, but once again that might have a number of negative consequences (akin to those we've had with Input Field Compatibility on Palm).

caesartg

榜眼
Dear Mike

I haven't checked to see if anyone else posted this so might be repeating...

That problem I mentioned to you before - of not being able to close the character info screen in a flashcard session and having to kill the app to get out - I worked out what's happening. Sometimes, when I open the character info screen by holding down over the character for a few seconds (I think this is how I set up my mouse gestures), the pop-up definition window also appears but then loses focus and is behind the character info screen. Then the character info screen for some reason can't be closed unless the pop-up definition window is closed first, but because it can't be seen, no can do. (In the case where the pop-up definition has focus and is closed, there is no problem and the character info screen can also be closed).

I forced this to happen a few times and I am pretty certain this is where the problem lies.

Cheers

Ben

daniel123

榜眼
Hi Mike,

I found two Problems, maybe they are already reported.

1) somtimes when I want to close "Open Flashcards" dialog via "ok" button to go back to normal dictionary I see "x" instead of "ok" in the upper right corner. This closes whole Pleco instead of just closing Flashcards. It is not very often but from time to time. Maybe three times during the last week.

2) In the normal dictionary mode I sometimes run in the problem that the entered words are ignored until I leave Pleco with Quit. When this occurs, deleting, new inputs and so on all do not have any switch reaction to the dictionarys. No matter which dictionary. Just mark a word and copy to input line works (switches the dictionary to the new word) but any other input via keyboard will be ignored.

Hope you can find it easily.

Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
caesartg - thanks! That isolates the problem perfectly - should be quite easy to fix now that we know what's causing it.

daniel123 - we've had a few other reports of problem #1, though it's the type of bug that can be caused in a bunch of different places - do you happen to remember which screen you were on immediately before you ended up in the main flashcards screen with an "X" in the corner? I.e., which screen you exited to the main flashcards screen from?

On #2, this is a new one - so clearing the Input Field (with the eraser button) doesn't make a difference? What about switching languages?

amosnomor

Hello,

I created a user dictionary and flash card entry for the following tongue twister:

四十四 隻 石 獅 子- forty four stone lions

On audio playback the 隻 is pronounced incorrectly, sounding like 遮. Yet looking up each of the words individually, they are pronounced correctly.

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
daniel123 - we've had a few other reports of problem #1, though it's the type of bug that can be caused in a bunch of different places - do you happen to remember which screen you were on immediately before you ended up in the main flashcards screen with an "X" in the corner? I.e., which screen you exited to the main flashcards screen from?
in my case i see this happen many times (maybe every time?) when i start a flashcard session, that does not produce any cards to review. after the dialog that tells me that there are no flashcards to review, many times i end up in the main dict interface when i close the flashcard session.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
amosnomor - any chance you might have entered the Pinyin for that character incorrectly? It goes by the Pinyin you entered when pronouncing the full card, not by the Pinyin in its own databases.

mfcb - OK, thanks! This should make it easier to find.

amosnomor

mikelove said:
amosnomor - any chance you might have entered the Pinyin for that character incorrectly? It goes by the Pinyin you entered when pronouncing the full card, not by the Pinyin in its own databases.

Thank you. You are correct. I had entered the Pinyin incorrectly. Sorry for the noise.

daniel123

榜眼
mikelove said:

On #2, this is a new one - so clearing the Input Field (with the eraser button) doesn't make a difference? What about switching languages?

#1 I always saved an existing flashcard session to look a word in the normal dictionary mode. When this happens it helps to open and immediatley close for example "Manage Flashcards". Than the "x" is replaced by "ok" as it should be.

#2 Clearing the input field and entering new Pinyin does not help. Switching languages also does not help. I tried many things but the only thing that helps is to exit Pleco and open it again.
I am not sure if it was always but sometimes it happens after I pasted a word from clipboard (via WM context menu).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, #1 at least should hopefully be fixed by the just-released Beta 4. #2 I'm not so sure about - sounds like the software might be silently crashing in the background, have you configured your PDA to display crashing error messages or to keep them silent?