2.0.2 (final) Bug Report Thread

Stump

秀才
mikelove said:
Any chance you might be running low on memory? That would explain the initial failure and the subsequent refusal to even start another import. You can reset all of that saved info using the buttons in the "Misc" panel of "Preferences," so try the two buttons there (Reset all prefs and Clear recent search) and see if those make any difference.
Didnt change anything :/
I still have plenty of memory, there must have been a bug during the first import that is now blocking other attempts...

Anyway to perform a complete reinstallation of pleco (other than having to hard reset my cell) ?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman - fair point; since there haven't been any new bugs reported in 2.0.3 I'm thinking we probably shouldn't play with fire by introducing any new features in that at this point (particularly since the main point of 2.0.3 is to get it out quickly so we can launch the very exciting new dictionary that goes with it), but certainly something we can consider changing in 2.0.4.

Stump - I can't tell from your posts whether you're using Palm OS or Windows Mobile, but either way you can delete your flashcard database without having to reinstall the whole program. If it's Palm OS, you can delete your flashcard database by opening PlecoMover, tapping the Advanced button, selecting "Hidden Int" from the "Move from" menu, selecting your flashcard database file, and tapping "Delete." If it's Windows Mobile, exit Pleco completely using the Quit command in the Dict menu, then go to Start, Programs, File Explorer, and delete the "Pleco Flashcards" file listed in your "My Documents" folder (should be the first folder that comes up when you open File Explorer).

1) Instant Access button isn't working right on Windows Mobile 6.5. The icon displays just like on 6.1, but pressing it won't open Pleco. When I view my notification screen after pressing it, it reports that Pleco is not currently running, etc etc.

The icon displays...

But it seems to think that Pleco isn't running (oh, it certainly is) ...

2) The new Flash card organizer doesn't let me select additional categories. They show up fine in the Manage Categories window, but not in the Organize Flashcards window. **Although, good job on finally using my screen's space on this new window!

I've selected the drop down selection box on the right, but doesn't contain any entries...

Rob

Attachments

• Screen02.png
    Screen02.png
    90 KB · Views: 3,880
  • Screen03.png
    Screen03.png
    53 KB · Views: 3,890
  • Screen05.png
    Screen05.png
    90 KB · Views: 3,874

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We can't do much about 1), unfortunately - Microsoft changed the way notifications worked in WM6.5 and it doesn't seem possible to invoke anything when the notification icon is tapped anymore. So you're going to have to switch to PlecoLaunch as your method for getting into Instant Access, at least until we come up with another system for launching it.

2), however, we've just found / fixed so that should be corrected in the about-to-be-posted 2.0.3b2.

mikelove said:
We can't do much about 1), unfortunately - Microsoft changed the way notifications worked in WM6.5 and it doesn't seem possible to invoke anything when the notification icon is tapped anymore. So you're going to have to switch to PlecoLaunch as your method for getting into Instant Access, at least until we come up with another system for launching it.

Respectfully, that might be premature. It seems that both QQ and Live Messenger addressed the issue in their builds earlier this year. Both work fine through the notifications system on WinMo 6.5.

As for PlecoLauch, I guess I'm going to have to look up the manual and find what that is supposed to do. Truthfully, I've always just looked at that program in my \Program Files dir and scratched my head.

Rob

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well, there is one thing we can try - I'm e-mailing you an experimental fix, let me know if that makes any difference with IA from the toolbar. I suspect that HTC's customizations will prevent that, but you never know, we might get lucky.

sthubbar

榜眼
Even since installing 2.0.2 final my Treo has been having mysterious stability problems.

Backupman will reboot at odd places that I haven't seen it reboot before

My SDCard just became completely corrupted

Other weird crashes

I tried upgrading to 2.0.3b2 and the system seems even worse.

My Treo now crashed in the middle of a flashcard session.

I have Chattermail running in the background and that could be related, though it has never crashed previous versions of Pleco.

Now, I'm also in a bind because I have upgrade 3 dictionaries and I thought I read something about how these dictionaries requires a specific, maybe 2.0.2 version of Pleco. I think there was a Tuttle update with 2.0.2 and then another Tuttle update with 2.0.3, plust the ABC update with 2.0.3, plus the new AECD update.

What is the oldest version of Pleco that can use AECD and the most up to date dictionaries? 2.0.1?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This honestly sounds like a bigger problem than 2.0.2 could cause, particularly given that we haven't had any other reports of this sort of thing happening with it - 2.0.2 didn't really include many low-level changes on Palm, if your flashcards had disappeared after upgrading to 2.0.2 on Windows Mobile I'd be worried (since we made a number of significant updates to the SQLite database implementation on that) but the flashcard database code on Palm has been essentially unchanged since 2.0.0; the Palm OS 2.0.2 changes were largely on the surface / UI level.

So I'm more inclined to think that the combination of installing 2.0.2 and the associated new dictionaries stressed out your Palm in some other way, particularly given your e-mail comment that going back to 2.0.1 failed to restore things. What sort of "weird screen" did you get? Where is Backupman crashing? By "corrupted" do you mean that your SD card is no longer readable at all or that specific filenames have changed / gone missing? What action had you just performed when the flashcard session crashed?

Anyway, my main suggestion would be that you hard reset and reinstall everything - hopefully whatever it is will be cleared up by that. Update-wise, the Tuttle update will work fine with older versions of Pleco, but ACE requires 2.0.2 (if you can't get things working with that let me know and we can cancel / refund your order for that upgrade) and the updated ABC / new dictionary we're about to release require 2.0.3.

sthubbar

榜眼
OK, I'm removing the following files from the SDCard. Is there something in the Character info screen that requires one of these dictionaries?

P2audio-man* - I never use the audio feature
P2ADSO.pdb - I don't recall using this dictionary very much
P2CTBIZ.PDB - I can't remember this dictionary every coming up when I'm searching for terms
p2handedict.pdb - I don't speak German
p2handedict.pdb - see above :)
P2UNIHAN.pdb - I also don't seem to remember this dictionary being used very much

sthubbar

榜眼
BTW, after deleting these dictionaries, is there anyway to search though the flashcards to see if any of them were mapped to one of those dictionaries? I could see that causing a crash in the middle of a flashcard session.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Probably wouldn't cause a crash (the system is aware of that possibility and checks for / skips over any cards that link to unavailable dictionaries), but yes, you can certainly search for that - go into Manage Cards, do an Advanced search, and select "incomplete" as the field to search for.

sthubbar

榜眼
Him this "Incomplete" search comes up with 1857 cards. Any card that I create as a custom card is coming up.

Any other ideas?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... that shouldn't be. If you're up for installing those dictionaries again, do that, then do a search for cards in each dictionary - after you've found / fixed them you can delete them.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Possibly - do those custom cards have filled-in headwords, Pinyin, and definitions, or is there some section that's missing?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's the expected behavior then - "incomplete" covers any card with its definition missing, regardless of whether that's due to a deleted dictionary or the fact that it hasn't been filled in yet.

sthubbar

榜眼
Mike, is there a simple way to get a text version of the free dictionaries?

What I'm thinking is that I would like to take all of the free dictionaries and then combine them all into one dictionary that removes duplicates. I then have a grand theory of importing all of these as flashcards and removing all of the ones that are found in any of the paid dictionaries. I would then be left with a much smaller list of unique entries not found anywhere else.

Do you think this is feasible?