2.0.3 Bug Report Thread

gweipo

秀才
Hi
I created a new category for my new chinese textbook (My chinese classroom intermediate 1), and added 10 subcategories for each chapter, and then added all the flashcards for the new words. Used it all vacation no problem. Got back home and synced my HTC using window's mobile 6.1.6965 and all those flashcards have disappeared (or at least the categories and subcategories have) - my other "older" categories are still there no problem.
Any idea what could have gone wrong and how I can stop this happening in the future?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gweipo said:
I created a new category for my new chinese textbook (My chinese classroom intermediate 1), and added 10 subcategories for each chapter, and then added all the flashcards for the new words. Used it all vacation no problem. Got back home and synced my HTC using window's mobile 6.1.6965 and all those flashcards have disappeared (or at least the categories and subcategories have) - my other "older" categories are still there no problem.
Any idea what could have gone wrong and how I can stop this happening in the future?

Could be that the flashcard database was still open when you synced it - we've locked it down in a bunch of ways to try to prevent that from causing problems but it occasionally still does. So the best way to prevent this from happening in the future would be to exit Pleco completely (open it and choose "Quit" from the "Dict" menu) before syncing your phone. Very sorry about that, though - I hope it's not too difficult to reconstruct.

gweipo

秀才
I don't think it was open, in fact I'm pretty sure pleco was shut down. I'm going to try and add some flashcards and replicate and see what happened. Before I do the whole lot. It was about 400 flashcards spread over 10 categories - groan.

gweipo

秀才
I've tried to replicate it. First created the category, put cards into it, shut pleco and synced. No problem. Then created new category, filled with some cards, synced with pleco open - no problem. This is weird. Could it be because I had a category with subcategories?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gweipo said:
I've tried to replicate it. First created the category, put cards into it, shut pleco and synced. No problem. Then created new category, filled with some cards, synced with pleco open - no problem. This is weird. Could it be because I had a category with subcategories?

More likely it was a transient issue with the sync - it's extremely unlikely that it had anything to do with the particular structure of your flashcard categories, it's much more likely that either a) the sync replaced your newer flashcard database with an older version, or b) the sync put a second flashcard database on your device and Pleco's opening that instead of the first one; if you exit Pleco completely (Quit command in the Dict menu) and reopen, does it give you an error message about having multiple flashcard databases? (this would only happen in 2.0.4, so update to that if you haven't already done so)

gweipo

秀才
Ok, will update, no I never quit from the dict menu just by clicking on the cross on the top RHS. Don't get any error message when I quit and re-open, and I've started making the cards again, and get "card added" not "duplicate card" on the cards, so it must have disappeared into the digital black hole.
Thanks for the help anyway.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This still could be a problem of a duplicate flashcard database - I'd really recommend trying out 2.0.4, or just searching through your handheld's filesystem to see if there's a second / backup flashcard file lurking somewhere; a second copy of the flashcard file could very easily explain this problem.

gweipo

秀才
Have updated,to 2.0.4 and checked the files, there's no duplicate. I've started re-creating and it seems to be stable.
Fluke? I'd not synced for the month I was on holiday so maybe that threw it.