2.0.3 Bug Report Thread

daniel123

榜眼
Some time ago I reported a small bug: when opening IA while the keyboard is already opened it overlaps the IA window. The keyboard also cannot closed while the IA windows is opened.

This just happends if using IA via taskbar icon. If instead using IA via start menu I can open or close the keyboard without any problem.

So the problem just affects the IA when using taskbar icon. Unfortunately this is the only possible way to use it in WM 6.5.

Scoox

举人
Copy to Input stylus action bug

System: Palm Zire 72s, Palm OS v5.2.8, Pleco 2.03

Summary: Executing the 'Copy to input' command when no text is selected crashes the system.

Reproducing the bug: This bug can be reproduced in various ways, but all of them feature an attempt to 'Copy to input' with no text selected.

1. In the preferences, set stylus tap-hold action to 'Menu'.
2. The Pleco screen has two parts, the list and the definition. The list may or may not be hidden, this does not matter.
3. Look up a word that has a short definition, so that the definition part of the screen has some empty space with no text.
4. Tap-hold in an empty area of the definition, i.e. not tapping on any text so that nothing is selected. After a short delay, the menu comes up (Copy, Copy to Input, Magnify, Char Info, Popup Defn).
5. Tap on any one of the menu options except Copy to Input. For example, tap on Copy.
6. The menu disappears.
7. Tap and hold again in the empty area of the definition.
8. [BUG 1] The menu does not come up this time (the menu would have come up if text had been previously selected)
9. Tap and hold once again in the empty area of the definition. The menu comes up this time.
10. OK, that's one bug. Now comes the big one. Tap-hold in an empty area of the definition (same as step 3 above). The menu pops up.
11. [BUG 2] Tap on Copy to Input. The system crashes with the following error message: Fatal Alert: MemoryMgr.c, Line:3722, Nil Ptr :shock: Looks like an uninitialized pointer to me.

You can also set the stylus tap-hold action to directly copy to input (thus bypassing the pop-up menu stage), and the system will crash too.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daniel123 - we'll take another look at this, but it may prove difficult to fix - IA already exists in kind of a nebulous gray area windowing-system-wise and I'm not sure if we can get it to consistently overlay the keyboard, though perhaps we can at least get it to relocate itself so it only occupies the non-keyboard part of the screen.

Scoox - thanks, this should be easy to fix.

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
Hopefully Microsoft will fix I) in the upcoming Windows Mobile 6.5.3 release. (which I imagine will show up in ROM updates for a lot of devices)

II/III we've got a preliminary fix for now, doesn't even seem to sap performance much so we'll try it out in the first beta of 2.0.(8?) - thanks for the reminder on that.

We'll see if we can get IV) done for that first beta as well.

hi, i'm back using my touch pro, replaced the touchscreen and it worked again (although a few moments i thought i might be unable to assemble it again). currently i am using a WinMo 6.5.5 beta release and the list view problems with selecting items are gone, cant say anything about 6.5.3.

dont want to put any pressure on you, mike, but how late in january are we ? :lol: any new timeline? recently i check the forum 3 times a day, hehe

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Another week or two for the beta WM update, I'd say - distracted a bit by an unexpected-but-positive personal matter.

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
Another week or two for the beta WM update, I'd say - distracted a bit by an unexpected-but-positive personal matter.

Mike, congratulations on your baby/marriage/engagement/date/promotion/graduation or whatever it is! :D

jiacheng

榜眼
Not sure if this was reported before, but I've noticed some display issues on entries that include variants on ABC (possibly other dictionaries as well).

looking up 症(zheng4 : disease) for example yields:

症[症/-]

which is already strange, because I have it set to display both sets of headwords, so I wouldn't expect there to be any dashes.
In addition, it seems to have picked the wrong variant to replace with dashes. switching to traditional mode, you can see the other variant:

症/證[症]

So i can see all the variants here.

Coincidentally, there may also be a problem with this entry, because I think the differing tradtional variant of 症 should be 癥 instead of 證.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is fixed in 2.0.8; see the beta forum for early access to that. With 癥 in general, they seem to have made an editorial decision to remove all of those from the ABC dictionary back in 2002, at least that's what it says in the notes - it does seem kind of strange, but apparently 症 and 证 have essentially the same meaning now (the entry for 证 includes "disease; illness" as a definition).

koxinga

Hello, some little glitches I noticed, sorry if they already have been reported :
  • If I am in simplified character mode and I look for 著, I find the answers containing 着, placed before. It is true for the character alone, but also for the compounds like 显著.
  • In the entry 讶, there is a link to ya4yi4 讶异. However, when we follow it, we are taken to 亚裔 Ya4yi4 (at least with my settings).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
On the first item, that's happening because entries with the same character / characters are sorted alphabetically by Pinyin - zhao1 comes before zhu4 in that order. I suppose it might make sense to add an option to prioritize standalone characters over characters from the opposite / not-currently-selected character set, though it could be a lot of work...

The 讶异 link issue is a known bug, but it's already been fixed on iPhone and should be fixed in the 2.0.8 update on Palm/WM (already fixed in the beta).

aaroned

I've just reflashed my HTC HD to a Windows Mobile 6.5 ROM (perviously was 6.1) and I now have a new bug with the handwriting recognition tab likely due to TouchFLO. (My wife says she's also had this problem for a while. Her HD was flashed to 6.5 several months ago)

Whenever I do a right-to-left stoke in the handwriting recognition tab, touchFLO recognises this as a swipe, and moves on to the next tab, the Radicals tab.

Ideally I would like to keep TouchFlo usable in other areas of Pleco, so would it be possible to block TouchFlo from interfering with the handwriting or possibly implement the tabs a slightly different way?

p_noch

Hello Mike,

On my Samsung i900 it seems that every time i look up the word "满" in ABC Dictionary, most of the time Pleco would act funny and sometime I would get kick out from pleco then I would not be able to get back in Pleco again, unless I removed ABC dictionary from Pleco folder first.

Thanks,
Noch

p_noch

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the confusion
I am able to reduplicate this every time on my i900 omnia
and I have tried uninstall/reinstall pleco, re-downloaded ABC dictionary, delete flashcard/user-defended file in My document.
but problem is still there

by "acting funny" (with the input "满" and switching dictionary to ABC)
-with Fullscreen HWR on, any ink on screen would not be able to clear out as normal. (it would stuck as lighter line)
-top and buttom bar is missing and no respond
-Most of the time pleco would freeze and I have to soft-reset or sometime pleco would exit itself.

ONLY way to get pleco back is to removed ABC dict. from pleco folder

but today I have tried to do the same thing on my friend's dell x51v 2.0.3 (same version as mine)
but I can't reduplicate this "acting funny" on his dell.

Thanks,
Noch

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... have you tried installing the 2.0.4 beta-test version (latest release at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2208)? It's actually more stable than 2.0.3 in a number of ways, in spite of being a "beta," so you might find it works more reliably on your Omnia.

Another possibility is that there might be something wrong with a particular region in your Omnia's flash memory - even if you delete and reinstall the ABC dictionary, without wear leveling (which I don't believe WM has) the dictionary could still end up being reinstalled to the exact same place. If you look for a nearby word in ABC, say "mao1," and start scrolling up, do you encounter any problems on other entries or does it just act funny when you get to 满?

p_noch

Thanks Mike

I will try the new version as soon as I have time.
And on the ABC all the words other than “满” are perfectly fine.

Thanks,
Noch

p_noch

Hello Mike

look up "满" in ABC Dictionary kills Pleco and have to reset.
The only way to get Pleco back to work normally is to removed P2ABC from Pleco folder.

Thanks,
Noch

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, we still don't have a good explanation for that unfortunately - other people seem to have the same problem with different characters, but always the same character for the same device. Hopefully some explanation will emerge soon.