2.0.3 Bug Report Thread

cbc

Re: 2.0.3 (final) Bug Report Thread

hi,

just downloaded and installed v2.0.3 on a motorola a3100 running win mobile 6.1 simplified chinese. everything works okay except for the flashcards. I just get an (almost) completely blank screen after i select New Flashcard Session. i added 5 new cards, 1 to uncategorized, 4 to a new list. when i run, it cycles through 4, or 5 chars depending on whether l select all, or just my new list, showing 1/5, 2/5 etc in top left corner ofthe screen. However, all i can see is the stop button and the next (blue right arrow button) - nothing else is visible. am i doing something stupid here?

thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Hmm... do dictionary entries still display correctly? If so, perhaps there's something wacky with your flashcard font configuration - go into the Display tab of Advanced Settings, make sure the "Defn size" is set to 14 and "Head size" to 28, tap OK, and try starting a session again - does that make any difference? If not, try creating a brand new profile (tap Manage next to the Profile menu at the top of the main flashcards screen) and testing with that - does that help?

cbc

thanks for the reply.

ok. that definitely helped. Now i get an english word showing at the top and by messing around with the other advanced settings i can get some of the other parts to display so it's starting to look like the display in the user manual. The one thing i can't get to show up is the box to practice writing the characters when i select chinese to english.

this is way more complicated than v1.0, but i love it.

jiacheng

榜眼

Hi Mike,

I'm experiencing some problems with my flashcard database after importing a large number of flashcards. From what I've seen so far, some cards are appearing in categories where they don't belong, and others are missing from categories where they should be. I've recently imported thousands of words from chinesepod lessons, so I'm not sure if this is a problem with the import, or if it's corruption in the database. I did recently compact user databases, so maybe that's a factor as well.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

cbc - Great! That box is enabled by the "show sketchbox" setting in the "Tests" tab of Advanced Settings.

jiacheng - if you send me your flashcard database we can take a look and try to see whether or not it's been corrupted / how badly. Are you noticing any screwed-up data other than the incorrect categories? Have these only applied to newly imported cards or are you also seeing older cards put in the wrong categories / missing from categories they're supposed to be in?

jiacheng

榜眼

I've noticed something interesting about the entry that seems to be finding its way into categories mysteriously. It seems that for every category that the rougue card is finding its way into, there exists 2 consecutive lines of just tabs in my source file. Could it be that the import is confused by just seeing tabs and instead of ignoring the entry, somehow matching it to the rougue card?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

That makes a ton of sense, actually, and having just checked the code it seems like there's a definite possibility that this could be happening - thanks. (I'll respond to your email later, sorry it's taking so long)

HW60

状元

In flashcard mode the statistics can be opened with different profiles showing up. Usually the chosen profile does not matter. In my review only profile however the statistics information, especially cards learned, differs completely. I can't imagine what the figures mean. Probably it is best not to show any information with a review only profile open (if the chosen profile is to have an impact on the statistics information) or to show the same information for all profiles.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

That's probably because your review profile has been linked to a different scorefile - go into the Advanced Settings screen with that profile selected and you should be able to switch it back to point at the same scorefile your other profiles use.

HW60

状元

You are right - it was linked to the default scorefile. Thank you for your help.

anchan42

探花
Sometimes, when move back and forth in flash card, the translation would not change accroding to the head word. Please see picture.

Attachments

• HRCapt20091221171934P.jpg
    HRCapt20091221171934P.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,242

anchan42

探花
After reviewing a few tens of flash cards,I start hitting back button. Everything will work fine until I come across a flash card from TL dictionary, then the translation will get stuck, ie not changing with the head words. However if the next card after that is from the TL dictionary, pleco will show the correct translation.

In other words, the back and forward buttons work normally until they come across cards from TL dict. After that translations from any other dictionaies will not be displayed.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Must have something to do with the length of the entries - we'll check it out for the 2.0.4 (.5? .6? not sure what we'll end up calling it) update.

Scoox

举人
Wasted space to the right of search field

On the PalmOS version there is one button's worth of wasted space to the left of the input field, as shown below.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,202

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's actually space for the Graffiti Shift Indicator - press the shift key on your Palm and you'll see an up arrow appear in that space.

jiacheng

榜眼
Just had a major bad thing happen today.

I was trying to make a backup of my pleco flashcard database. Oringally, I had made a copy onto my CF card. Unbeknownst to me was that pleco began to use the backup copy as the active copy automatically without telling me. When I tried to make another backup, I overwrote the active copy with the old db file that pleco had stopped using over a month ago. I really wanted to yell and break something when I realized what had happened, but I was on an airplane and didn't want to go to jail or anything.

So I do have an entire XML dump of my flashcard database from 12/25, which sure would be nice if I could restore it, but when I try to import it, I am getting an error.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
See my email reply on this (if you didn't already) - turned out that there were a few header bits missing from the beginning of the XML file. We really need to add a detector for multiple flashcard databases, though - might make startup a tiny bit slower, but I think it'd be worth it to prevent situations like that from happening.

Alexis

状元
In flashcards, for certain ABC entries, when I set the "show" option to "Pron + Defn", it does not show the definition until the headword is revealed.

For example:

5pi2 CHAR. in pi2jiu3

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's happening because those technically aren't dictionary definitions at all, but rather cross-references, which we try to mask out to avoid giving away any hints to the card's pronunciation. Though for cards without a definition we probably ought to re-enable them; if you go into Advanced Settings / Display and set "Definition parts" to "Show all," that should make them visible for now.