2.0.8 Beta 3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any bug reports / feedback on the third 2.0.8 beta here, particularly the former since we're really trying to get this ready for release. Thanks!

daniel123

榜眼
Works quite good here. Just a one small issue:
It could happen that the new "History" field can show more information than the screen can handle to display. When the card has many reptetitions it overflows on the right side. Maybe it would be best to show just the last 20 values or any crolling mechanism.

I would like to use the feature "exlude from all sessions" but I am afraid that I forget about it and later I have no chance to change my mind and the card is like being lost. Is there any possibility to search for those cards? Maybe you can add any search option for that.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
"History" actually shows the history in reverse chronological order - newest scores first - so the overflow is only dropping the older history data.

Adding an option to search for excluded cards is a good idea - you can already un-set that option for all cards using a batch command (one of the "set priority" options), but it would make sense to support searching for it too.

marsch

举人
Re scoring: with "Old Automatic", "Only change once per day" doesn't seem to work. Score can increase twice in a row in one day. Haven't tested for decrease.

daniel123

榜眼
mikelove said:
"History" actually shows the history in reverse chronological order - newest scores first - so the overflow is only dropping the older history data.

You are right. No need to change.

mikelove said:
Adding an option to search for excluded cards is a good idea - you can already un-set that option for all cards using a batch command (one of the "set priority" options), but it would make sense to support searching for it too.

There is another thing I would like to search for sometimes: unlearned cards / learned cards or instead correct in a row lower / bigger equal than n. This works already for slashcard session card filters but not for manage flashcards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
marsch - how much time passed between those increases? Is there any chance that you might have passed over to a new "calendar day" (depending on how you've configured the day's start time) even if only a few actual hours had elapsed? None of the code for checking for multiple increases in one day changed at all between 2.0.3 and 2.0.8, so I'm not sure why this would suddenly stop working... we'll investigate it, though, maybe there's one part of the code using a slightly different time basis for its day start intervals than another part of the code.

daniel123 - it's actually a bit trickier to do that "in a row" search in manage flashcards searches, due to the way the inner loop of that query works, but we'll see what we can do...

mfcb

状元
hi mike,

configure (user) dictionary in manage dict dialog, the "full name" and "copyright" fields seem to be multiline (at least 2 lines) but i cant enter a second line (return key not working with hardware kb/software kb)

HW60

状元
When I enter "Strg" and then Return on my software keyboard, I can enter 2 lines in Full name and Copyright, but not 3. I made a screenshot to show, but I cannot find the button to make an attachment.

mfcb

状元
hmmm, i think i tried with "strg", "shift", but maybe only on the hw-kb...

anyway there seem to be more strange problems with these fields. copyright reverted back to an older value, could be that i did an undo of an import, but i would not expect that to influence the copyright...

marsch

举人
Sorry. I thought I had posted a reply already but that must have got lost somehow.

Time between increases: a few minutes, no new calendar day (changes at 4 am and I don't usually do flashcards then :) )
Changed my flashcard strategy, so the error (if any) may not be new.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 / mfcb - seeing that copyright text error here too now, very odd...

marsch - looks like it was an old bug, actually; not sure why nobody encountered it before now. Thanks!

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
The 讶异 link issue is a known bug, but it's already been fixed on iPhone and should be fixed in the 2.0.8 update on Palm/WM (already fixed in the beta).
aehm, just tried it, its not fixed in the beta 3...
and yes, i checked that i am running b3 and i installed the 2010-03-04 abc update....

HW60

状元
If the headword of a flashcard has 5 or more characters, it does not appear in flashcard sessions - only in review only.

mfcb

状元
HW60 said:
If the headword of a flashcard has 5 or more characters, it does not appear in flashcard sessions - only in review only.
hmmm, what kind of flashcard session? in my self-scored rep-spaced sessions i cant confirm this problem, today i saw several cards with headwords longer than 5 chars...

HW60

状元
mfcb said:
hmmm, what kind of flashcard session? in my self-scored rep-spaced sessions i cant confirm this problem, today i saw several cards with headwords longer than 5 chars...
I made some more tests, and now the problem seems to be a little more complicated:
- in Manage Flashcards I see a category with 20 cards; with Advanced / category AND # reviewed 0 I see no card.
- In Flashcards / Statistics I see 20 cards, 19 learned (3 in a row); the unknown card is 好久不见了created in July 2009; this card has a record of 0-0 and no history
- a New flashcard session for All cards asks for 19 cards (Free Answer, show Audio, Ask for Headword, no Card filter, Frequency adjust, Old Automatic). The missing card is the above and is the only card with 5 characters.
- with Card selection Fixed or Random I also get 19 cards, with Repetition-spaced 17 cards.
- with Fequency Adjust (probably does not matter) and All Cards and Review only I get 20 cards; with Review only and Card Filter Not correct in row 3 I get the above card only.

Then I looked at all my 生词.
- in Manage Flashcards Advanced Top category AND # Reviewed 0 I found 12 cards, all with 5 or more characters. The above card was not one of the 12.
- I exported the same top category (more than 2000 cards) with Flashcard Export / Text File / UTF-8 and copied the resulting file into Excel, counted the number of characters per word and found 20 cards with 5 or more characters, including the 12 cards. The 8 additional cards also had a record of 0-0 and no history.

My question (apart from being somewhat confused) is: how can I test the missing cards?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 / mfcb - flashcards longer than 4 characters don't appear in free-answer tests, but they do appear in every other type, or at least they should. (just not very helpful in multi-choice, since it has to find 4 other cards with headwords of the same length if you're going head->pron or pron->head)

HW60 - that does sound odd - could you send me your current flashcard database? Maybe we can diagnose the weird searches at least here.

As far as how to test the missing cards, I'd suggest doing a self-scored session with a filter to catch only cards that hadn't been reviewed recently; either that or do a search in Manage Flashcards for cards with length > 4 and add them to a newly-created category.

HW60

状元
I sent you my flashcard database.
With Manage Flashcards / Top Category AND length>4 I found 21 cards, but with self scored I only get 9 of them in a flashcard session - 12 cards are still missing.

Maybe it would be helpful if the selection criteria of Manage Flashcards Advanced and of New Flashcard Session Card Filter were the same and would lead to identical results - I think Daniel123 had a similar suggestion for 1 criteria recently.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

That sort of sync between Manage and New Session would actually be a little difficult to achieve - while they're dealing with similar fields, the search queries used to start a new session versus search for cards are actually quite different, and it's tricky to get them to behave the exact same way. We'll keep working towards that in future updates, though.

HW60

状元
Selecting "full card" in Manage Flashcards / Settings needs scrolling to the right to see the full information displayed.