2.0.8 Beta 3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

ben_gb

探花
Hi,

I'm just starting to play around with this beta.

It's great to see the changes to the flashcards to force cards into the checking pool.

One feature which would make this even more useful: when you add a card (using the + button in the dictionary), could it bring up the 'card editing screen' (what comes up when you press 'i' in the Manage Flashcards section)? This would let you make any changes you want, or force the card into the pool at that point. Otherwise, you have to add the card, then remember to go into the Manage Cards area, search for the card and change it's settings.

For me, I find that throughout the day I am adding cards, some of which I know when I add them that I want them to go straight into the queue. Others I just want to be in my word database, but am not bothered when they come up. It would work better in this scenario if I can make changes or force the card into the pool at the time I add it, rather than trying to remember (but usually forgetting) to do all the editing etc later in the day.

(Maybe there would need to be a preferences option for this, so it could turned off for people who prefer the old way?)

Thanks.

Ben

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 - good point, though horizontal list scrolling is actually a surprisingly tricky feature so I'm not sure if we can get it done for 2.0.8.

ben_gb - good idea; we've actually had quite a few requests in the past for some additional options on adding cards, a lot of people would also like a better duplicate prompt that shows you other cards that it thinks are duplicates rather than just telling you you've got a dupe and asking what to do. Again, though, probably post-2.0.8 since right now I'd really like to get the darn thing out (though there will be a Beta 4 to check on a few new bug fixes).

mfcb

状元
hi mike, just want to report back on the "resource problem" that pre-2.0.8 versions had. its definitely solved (at least for my wm6.5.5 rom). i open nearly as many apps as i want besides pleco (qq, fetion, wm player) all of them at the same time, and none of them is automatically closed (like happened nearly always before). this was most disturbing during text messaging, what use is a dict-lookup, when i have to start over with the message again and again at each lookup :mrgreen: but these problems are history, i definitely love 2.0.8!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Great! I'm glad we were finally able to do something about that WM resource issue, though it's a shame it took us this long... thanks!

Sarevok

进士
I noticed some strange behavior in flashcards. When I mark a card as "correct", the difficulty doesn't change as it should (according to the parameters chosen in advanced settings it should increase by 4 points on 6, decrease by 4 points on 4... but it ways stays the same). When marked "incorrect" it does decrease all right...

When the "If rep-spaced early:" option is set to "scale exponentially" it gets even stranger. It often treats the card as if it was never reviewed - the score is set to 200/400/600 (corresponding to the initial score increases on answers 4/5/6) when marked correct (no matter what the original score was - sometimes it is as high as 15000 or more and there is still such a sharp decrease on the correct answer... when it shouldn't decrease at all in the first place). Occasionally the score is increased to 36500 on the correct answer (exactly one year, which I have set as maximum). Again, the original score value doesn't matter - it could be as low as 400 or so and it still gets increased to maximum. There is no such problem, when set to "change normally". What strikes me as strange is that the option shouldn't affect those cards in the first place as they are not being reviewed early - they are late (I have a backlog of about 700 cards at the moment). Changing the option for late cards (I have set it to "scale logarithmically") doesn't cause any such behavior...

At first, I thought it might be caused by upgrading the flashcards DB, so I copied over my original backed-up file, but the problem still persists. I also upgraded to WM6.5 about a week ago and bought the 21st&Guifan bundle at the same time, so it might be tied with that - I have started noticing said behavior roughly at that time... it might have been there before as well but went unnoticed (I upgraded Pleco to the current beta only a few days before the WM upgrade... with not that many repetitions in between).

Alexis

状元
I have tuttle set up as my first dictionary and ACE as my second dictionary.

When I search for "gen3" it stays in the Tuttle dictionary and reports "no matches". When I look for other characters and pinyin combinations, Pleco properly finds a match in the ACE dictionary if it is not found in the Tuttle.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sarevok - hmm... do you save / resume sessions a lot? There's a chance that might screw up the date it's using to calculate early versus late review times, though we haven't actually seen a bug in that yet. It looks like there was a small bug that could cause "scale exponentially" to massively lower your card's score in certain rare cases, which would then leave you with a score of 400 (or whatever the initial score was) because the software would see that the flashcard's current score was lower than that and it had just been answered correctly, so if we can figure out why the "early" behavior is being applied here the rest should be taken care of.

As far as the difficulty not changing, that probably has to do with that same mistaken flagging as "early" - I don't suppose there's any chance the system clock on your handheld might have gotten screwed up, is there? That's actually a good idea for a new feature in a future release, checking to see if the system clock is set to an earlier time than the time of your most recent flashcard session (or some other regularly-updated thing) and putting up an error message if so so that you can reset; less of an issue on new devices, though, since anything with a cellular antenna or an internet connection generally sets the correct time by itself.

Alexis - I'm not seeing that here - how are your search / results preferences configured? What other dictionaries do you have below Tuttle / ACE?

Sarevok

进士
System clock was the first thing I checked... no problem there, it is set up all right. As for saving and resuming sessions, I almost never do that, I quit the session completely once I am done with it for the moment...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... in that case, could you email me your latest flashcard database? Perhaps that will shed some light on this.

Also, do you use "Hours" or "Calendar" based date calculation in rep-spaced? There's a bug that might have caused all of your problems, but only with "hours" based date calculation.

Sarevok

进士
ok, sent...

I use "hours"... I switched to the "calendar" mode (still in Beta 3) and the problem with difficulty (not increasing/decreasing on correct answers) disappeared, which means you are on the right track...

off to test Beta 4 now...

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
Alexis - I'm not seeing that here - how are your search / results preferences configured? What other dictionaries do you have below Tuttle / ACE?

I tried again after installing beta 4, and it is no longer a problem. Thanks! :)