3.0 New Dictionary Bug Report / Feedback Thread

image.jpg
hdc doesn't have a def for this word just examples

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That one we've already fixed for 3.0.1 (can't magically a definition to HDC for it but we can make examples show when there's no definition available).

mikeo

榜眼
-spaces in the hanyu da cidian sample sentences (which causes pauses on the read out)

-multiple entries on hanyu da cidian that should be combined in one entry. For example, 支撑. It displays two entries for the word because there's different ways of writing it in traditional (but since i have my settings on simplified, it displays the same characters).

-also 亦作 or 见 should link to the word after
And will 3.01 also link HYDCD entries following 犹,as in attached screenshot?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 719

BrianTung

秀才
This may not be a bug, I'm not sure, but perhaps you can explain what some of the odd characters in the 60-year-cycle entries mean. E.g., 甲寅 is defined as "51st year Ǎ of the 60 year cycle, e.g. 1974 or 2034." What is that 'Ǎ' mean there?

There are similar characters in some of the entries, such as for 戊寅, whereas for others, like 庚寅, it's a letter-digit combination (G3, in this particular case). Can you explain?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The Ǎ is a glitch in our Pinyin converter; the letter-number codes in general I believe are simply a way of referring to the 60-year Chinese calendar cycle, but for a more detailed explanation you'd have to consult Wikipedia or some other expert source.

BrianTung

秀才
Actually, I wondered at first if some of the letter-digit codes were mistakenly being treated as ISO-8859-1 codes, but it turns out that A-with-caron isn't in ISO-8859-1, so that probably isn't the explanation. (Although, now that I think of it, could it be something similar, but with another code sequence?)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Nothing so complicated, just a matter of A3 being interpreted as A-with-a-third-tone. (we parse words in CC definitions that look like Pinyin as Pinyin, since there's a lot of embedded Pinyin in them)

I noticed that KEY often lists duplicate entries with variant characters (e.g. 裡/裏, 為/爲, etc.). Any chance those duplicates could be merged into one entry one to reduce the clutter when you perform a search?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I noticed that KEY often lists duplicate entries with variant characters (e.g. 裡/裏, 為/爲, etc.). Any chance those duplicates could be merged into one entry one to reduce the clutter when you perform a search?

Possibly, but it'll require some manual intervention on our part since I don't believe there's any data about that in KEY's own database that we can mine.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
For 玉石眼 there are some ABC editors' notes that suggest they're still trying to sort it out:

rem df “jade eye”? A kind of dog's eye, without pigment, genetic defect? Horses too? Albino? “blue eyes”? cremello?

鱼是鱼 is a relic of character set conversion, I think - not in GB-2312 and a common tactic in those cases is to replace the character with two different ones. Usually enclosed in parentheses, though - definitely pre-dates us since we'd already switched to Unicode by the time we were adapting NWP.

There are quite a few other bugs in HDC similar to the one I posted above. Just type each letter of the keyboard separately and almost every one of them returns some of the buggy entries. (the easiest way for them to show up on top is to make the search results display entries by tone).

gato

状元
A bug in Guifan in definition of 嘌呤. See attached screenshot.

The definition says 嘌呤 is a translation of the word "beer". That should be "purine". Don't know how they got the two mixed up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 628