3.2.x Bug Report / Feedback Thread

In a dictionary search for 來往 the result substring highlighting is unexpected in a reduplicated phrase. This may be a feature
Code:
/([來]+)([往]+)/
(with some tweaks), may be indicative of an underlying bug affecting other places, or may be undefined behavior that you're happy with.

Screenshot included, but the gist of it is this:

1. Search dictionary for:
來往
2. Get a result back that has this highlighting:
街上往的人很多。

iOS 13.5, Pleco 3.2.50

(Happy user, am technical so I notice things. Is this your ideal place to file quirks/issues/bugs or somewhere else? I sent you the last one on Twitter, but without thinking I tagged your personal account instead of Pleco, sorry.)

IMG_5574.PNG

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's actually not algorithmic at all, those ranges are marked in the data file (precisely so we can deal with duplications / split words / etc intelligently), so it seems like there's an error with that in this case - thanks.

rizen suha

状元
when searching a chinese "word", results in dictionary mode are sorted not primarily according to my-chinese-dictionaries-order, but primarily according to pinyin (it would seem) and (it would seem) _secondly_ sorted according to my-chinese-dictionaries-order.

i have toggled both search-engine>"sort chinese by pinyin" and definition-screen>"dont filter pronuciation" as well as other toggles (like search-from-first), still "word" always appears listed with a chinese-dictionaries order different from my-chinese-dictionaries-order specified in manage-dictionaries.

all of this is although "word" searched was chinese only.

by the way, in the reader, it seems that the dictionary-order _is_ according to my-chinese-dictionaries-order however the _pronunciation_ is taken from the entry chosen as first in dictionary mode!

well, a complicated explanation i know, but i would rather not spend too much time writing this more clearly, unless of course i have to;-)

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, that's the intended behavior - since dictionaries can sometimes be missing random useful words, we feel like it's better to aggregate all of them rather than showing you them one after another. However, if you turn off 'skip on button tap' in a dictionary's Manage Dictionaries screen, or simply long press the dictionary icon and switch to the dictionary you'd like, you can search for entries in just one dictionary without seeing them from any others.

rizen suha

状元
trouble is, i want to see all dictionaries. but i want to see and hear my prime-choice-dictionary FIRST (and as default when spoken in reader) when available and not have it overruled by a pinyin sorting. actually the crucial reason for my prime choice dictionary - cross straits - is to access the taiwanese pronunciations... but sometimes cross straits doesnt have "word" and the listing (should) continue with moe, gr, hdc, ...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're actually addressing that in 4.0 by breaking out "Taiwan Mandarin" as an independent searchable field, but there's not really a good way to solve that in the current app because it doesn't recognize the pinyin in Cross-Straits as being different from any other Pinyin.

rizen suha

状元
that sounds terrific. oh... by the way, when i say pinyin and pronunciation im actually talking about tones!... so eg. ma1 is sorted before ma2. i feel that in any case there should exist an option to list everything according to user specified dictionary order primarily, not being overruled by pinyin/tones sorting. eg. gr and scm also often offer "contrary" pronunciations/tones, so i also would not like having any other dictionary leapfrog them because of pronunciation/tones sorting.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That would be a little more complicated, but search results sort orders are arbitrarily customizable so it should be possible to put GR/SCM results ahead of those from other dictionaries; you'd just run the risk of missing useful results that way.

Shun

状元
Hello Mike,

after updating iOS to the final version 14.0 and Pleco to version 3.2.51 on my iPhone XR, the scroll bar is about 30% higher than the actual screen height in the Organize Flashcards screen, which means that it isn't possible to reach the bottom of a flashcard listing by dragging the scroll bar handle. Completely closing and restarting Pleco leads to the same result. In other places like the Dictionary screen, the scroll bar works correctly. Please see the following screenshots:

Scrollbar handle.png Card 5280 of 7548.png

Since scroll bars have been draggable by default on iOS since version 13 or so (with haptic feedback) and Pleco introduced this feature much earlier, would it perhaps be technically easy to add the same haptic feedback to Pleco's scroll bars, as well?

Thank you, best regards,

Shun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - it's not hard to switch to the standard iOS draggable scrollbars in cases like this, but since it is kind of a pain to support both systems simultaneously, we've generally been holding off on it until we get to the point of requiring iOS 13 as a minimum. But we'll see whether it's easier to support both systems in Organize or fix this bug directly.