3.2.x Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
'Max number of cards' has never been supported for repetition-spaced tests; we know Anki offers that option but we don't think they should, if you limit your maximum number of new cards and don't ever put in the effort to catch up you'll eventually be reviewing cards way past their due date and forgetting far too many of them.

You will be able to get 'max number of cards' on SRS in 4.0, though. (and all kinds of esoteric twists on that, like allowing cards that are a certain distance past due to not count towards that limit - basically you now build a list of of 'priority classes,' which can have various conditions / maximum numbers of cards associated with them, or you use one of our premade templates and don't think about that because there are only 4 or 5 options and we're doing everything else for you)

pdwalker

状元
Huh. Isn’t that funny. I could have sworn that that is what I remember seeing. Clearly I was mixing to the two selection types.

Nevermind. Thanks for settimg me straight.

rizen suha

状元
a rant about dumbed down interfaces (not pleco)

the trend of simplification of user interfaces that began around 2010 is good when it means easier access to functionality
but increasingly it is taken too far, everywhere and everywhen to cater to the main usage patterns and immediate apparent gratification (oh, it looks nice and soothing)
the consequence is crippling functionality and forced uniformation of behaviour and thinking
on the iphone ios 11 standard keyboard there is no undo button
now, as back in 2010 apple feels that you should just shake your iphone to undo
in the iphone mailbox, to go to the top of the list, there is no button for that, nor can you use the scroll bar
you should instead push an invisible button where the wifi signal icon is located
i could go on for hours, days and weeks with examples
apples arrogance is baffling and mindless
as is googles
and ...

pleco never! (please)
instead, as is the case presently, let the user configure the interface according to his usage pattern

Shun

状元
Hi rizen suha,

good rant. I also don’t like when functionality is taken away from me without replacement. However, it makes sense that you just have to tap the top status bar in any app to move to the top of a list. Also in the Mail app, it should work the same way.

Usually, both Apple and Google introduce sensible changes to their interface, at least that’s how I feel about it. If the changes are really not thought through, usually there will be a broad-based backlash from the users that is also being listened to. In an ideal world, an interface works the way the majority of users want it to work. About the "forced uniformation of behavior and thinking", I think this sort of "gleichschaltung" can only apply to opinions and world view, not to the way user interfaces force you to think. You adapt to the thinking, but you don't have to identify with it.

The places where Pleco lets you customize the interface aren’t completely fundamental to the interface, so that anybody can work with any customization without having to change their habits in a big way. That's the ideal way, I guess.

Cheers, Shun

Last edited:

rizen suha

状元
thanks shun

im all in favor for consistency, accesibility, “usability”

i dont really believe in the the broader user base to think critically about their needs
(look at history or how democracy currently is panning out in some places where effort and critical thinking are lacking)
with the passing of time we get more and more used to the state of affairs and adapt unknowingly to each new round of simplification
the current ideal of simplification is therefore scarcely contested and very few are even aware of an issue, of another way to do things
you could argue then that, ok, by default, the vast majority remain perfectly satisfied (as in challenged democracies)

the iphone issues: no undo button... just shake it! really? and elderly and disabled and standing crammed in the metro and?
this is pure arrogance, silly user, you dont need to undo, you need to search and consume and not to worry your little head
and wrt the top bar: you should literally hit within millimeters of the wifi signal icon
but these are merely examples (you should never give more than 2)

;-)

sorry for ranting. there are hundreds of articles about this topic out there, forgive me for not linking any one since the one i read and i really liked a couple of years ago, i can not find

thanks

Shun

状元
Sure! On my iPhone, I can tap on the whole length of the top status bar to get to the top. I also think the advantage of being able to shake the iPhone to undo is that you can do it almost everywhere. But don’t worry, I got your point and I partly agree. ;)

rizen suha

状元
thanks!

and for the tip: yes you can tap the whole length (top 3 vertical mms or so), does not have to be close to the wifi icon

:)

rizen suha

状元
inquiry: on the iphone 8 (on 6 and ipad pro all is ok) im getting a crackling noice when reading individual hanzi (eg 然) recordings (in principle not tts but may also occur there) through the external speaker (all is ok with headphones). if i have another app running that simultaneously accesses the iphones sound system (like a radio), although this app be silent (volume turned down), the crackling noise within pleco dissapears totally. is this a weird error in my device (amplifier, synthesizer, speakers)? or is it a general/known iphone 8 artifact (ios + hardware)? can pleco offer a fix? (accessing the sound system in another way). by the way, i have not been able to get crackling noise from other sound sources... any comment on this is appreciated. thanks

edit: the crackling comes immediately after the reading. could this hint at a sound system being closed down in an inconvenient manner (ios) - consistent with having another “sound” app running simultaneously preventing the sound system from being shut down?

Last edited:

JD

状元
When I look at the stroke diagram for 愿, it looks like the outer component is not coming down far enough to cover the lower 心。(see attached image).

Attachments

• 672DE0D7-19C9-417D-8711-A6CA6C4E9747.png
    672DE0D7-19C9-417D-8711-A6CA6C4E9747.png
    313.5 KB · Views: 494

pdwalker

状元
When I look at the stroke diagram for 愿, it looks like the outer component is not coming down far enough to cover the lower 心。(see attached image).

It does on mine. What you are seeing is a style difference in the display font.

There is an option to use a second font for the strokes. I don’t remember how I got it or enabled it, but if you have it installed, you can switch between the styles and see the difference.

I’ve noticed that the characters can vary considerably depending on the font, so I’ll always check multiple styles before deciding how I’ll write my characters.

If you look closely, in the bottom left is a character above the rewind button that allows you to switch display fonts for the stroke order diagrams.

pdwalker

状元
inquiry: on the iphone 8 (on 6 and ipad pro all is ok) im getting a crackling noice when reading individual hanzi (eg 然) recordings (in principle not tts but may also occur there) through the external speaker (all is ok with headphones). if i have another app running that simultaneously accesses the iphones sound system (like a radio), although this app be silent (volume turned down), the crackling noise within pleco dissapears totally. is this a weird error in my device (amplifier, synthesizer, speakers)? or is it a general/known iphone 8 artifact (ios + hardware)? can pleco offer a fix? (accessing the sound system in another way). by the way, i have not been able to get crackling noise from other sound sources... any comment on this is appreciated. thanks

edit: the crackling comes immediately after the reading. could this hint at a sound system being closed down in an inconvenient manner (ios) - consistent with having another “sound” app running simultaneously preventing the sound system from being shut down?

What version of iOS?

JD

状元
It does on mine. What you are seeing is a style difference in the display font.
.....deletia....
If you look closely, in the bottom left is a character above the rewind button that allows you to switch display fonts for the stroke order diagrams.

I noticed the same thing before I posted, and didn’t mention it my original question....probably should have, but I was typing quickly. The other font does indeed look better, but the one that I showed in the attached image looks wrong to me. It looks like a 原 with a 心 under it. That “seems” to me to be more than a font issue, but was hoping Mike might comment on it.

Edit: here’s an example of one that looks right attached as image for 應. So the display appears to be able to display the enclosing character correctly...but just is not doing so for the first case.

Attachments

• D91BA65A-8363-4D5F-9052-2DC6DD07281D.png
    D91BA65A-8363-4D5F-9052-2DC6DD07281D.png
    243.9 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@rizen suha - cracking might be an audio gain issue, i.e. the sound files are too loud when they're playing by themselves (hit your phone's volume limit) but when they're damped down by another audio stream playing at the same time they no longer are. Does it help if you turn down the recorded audio volume in Settings / Audio?

@JD - yeah, looks like a bug in the stroke order diagram file, thanks.

rizen suha

状元
@rizen suha - cracking might be an audio gain issue, i.e. the sound files are too loud when they're playing by themselves (hit your phone's volume limit) but when they're damped down by another audio stream playing at the same time they no longer are. Does it help if you turn down the recorded audio volume in Settings / Audio?

@JD - yeah, looks like a bug in the stroke order diagram file, thanks.
thanks, the crackling is present even at a barely audible volume level...
also: no crackling sound if the offending character (eg 然) is not the last one read (eg 然後)
because of this and the above mentioned, im inclined to think that this is a software bug (ios) but one that might be circumvented (if everybody else has this same problem on new iphone models) by pleco
thanks

edit: if the problem lies in how the current audio stream handle (or port or however it is called) is closed down and how this closure is handled by the ios and sound system, maybe changing some action or parameter in the closure (delay it some microseconds, emit a microsecond of a non audible sound just before, ...)

Last edited:

Bob P

秀才
Is this the right place to submit bug reports for the latest version? Where does the Pleco team prefer to receive reports?

At any rate, I came here to report that on iOS, the feature to automatically look up words from my clipboard (Settings->General->Misc->Startup->Search for clipboard text and Only if Chinese) seemed to be clearing my clipboard if I go back to the app a second time. But I can no longer reproduce it -- fixed with the latest release 3 days ago? If so, thank you! If not, I'll report again if I see it again. It was consistent.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@rizen suha - will investigate but TBH we'll probably need a few more reports from other users before we can track this down.

@Bob P - There's a fix in that update that might have addressed this and might not - if you do see it again please let us know. Forums and email both fine for bug reports, thanks.

Here’s a fun one:
5EDC08DC-8554-4223-98AC-DD7B54256334.png

Tone numbers getting substituted with something else. Also jacking-up keyboard language menu:

CB11BAF5-DE41-4400-AABF-EDFD6FEB1046.png

Korean IME gets replaced with hashes.

Also, I believe my tone numbers got replaced with hashes at some point too.

Then I began playing with the tone numbers to see what would happen:

2FD30546-B2B3-4C2E-A0A2-EC428861F981.png

Oh, they all got turned into ‘A’s.

Not sure how to reproduce atm, but anyway, there it is.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That pretty much has to be an iOS bug somewhere - no way anything in our app should be able to affect the keyboard switcher menu. Which version of iOS is this? It's not 'jailbroken,' right?