Beta 2 Bug Reporting

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

I thought we could do the same here ...

I found the followong:
-Speed of Stroke Order is empty now ...
-in general it seems that PD still has difficulties in recognizing which language a word is. I think in PD1 if you use the lookup this character button PD knows if it is chinese or english. PD2 usually takes english. But a big improvemen now is that the character is not deleted any more if you switch the dictionary.
-one point about 21st C: if I slowly type STUTTGART - I get strange changes in the list on the right ... seems to have something to do with the dot in the word. I don't really get that dot ... is it where to break the word?

besides that: great - really so far! This now is beta ...

Also found that probably my speed comparison between PD1 and PD2 is not fair since PD1 seems to be completely in ROM

regards
Daniel

'Assertion Failed' On Startup

Hi Mike

Just Installed PD2 Beta2 On My Palm T5.

I Am Unable Launch PD2 :(

The 1st Few Times I Launched PD2 I Always Got 'Assertion Failed' At the Top Of A White Screen.
The App Would Then Run.
The Few Things I Got To Try Seemed To Work Fine, And The App 'Seemed' More Stable.

Then Came The 1st Crash :!:
(I Think I Was Switching Dictionaries Or Languages.)

Now, I Only Get The 'Assertion Failed'
Then A Fatal Alert: MemoryMgr.c,Line:3843,Non-word-aligned handle (Reset) Box.

My PD2 Is Broken :cry:

I Hope There Is A Fix Soon :wink:
The Duelist

Edit: Tried A Re-Install of the Pleco Engine & Keyfile. Still Get Same Fatal Error

beirne

进士
assertion, searching, exiting

I see three problems so far in Beta 2 on my Palm TX:

• When I start PD the words "Assertion Failed" flash by. The program otherwise starts normally.
  • Interactive searching doesn't quite work as I would expect with the 21st Century dictionary. Say I want to lookup how to say Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. I start with Z and enter his name, but matches don't show up. The matches in the list on the right make sense after I enter the z and the i, but when I enter the m it switches to the CT dictionary and shows matches that don't start with zim.
  • Sometimes when I exit PD I get a blank screen that never exits. I have to do a soft reset to recover.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
On the Assertion Failed error - does this happen after you reinstall? Did you make sure to delete all of the Beta 1 data files, including the flashcard lists / user dictionaries? This sounds like a problem with the SQLite database system we use for those, but since it didn't come up in our testing my first instinct is to think it has something to do with the data files. This could also explain the blank screen beirne is experiencing on exit.

The search issue with the 21st Century dictionary is an old and well-known one, we still haven't cleaned up that data file to the point where it's perfectly alphabetized so there are some glitches due to out-of-order entries.

daniu - so there's nothing in that speed menu at all? The dots are syllable breaks and will be stripped out or at least made less prominent in a later version.

PD2 User Dictionary/Flashcard Files

I Didn't Delete The PD2b1 User Dictionary/Flashcard Files.
I Will Try Deleting Them.

What Are The PD2b1 Names For These Files?
I have PD1 & PD2 Installed On My T5,
So I Don't Want To Delete The Wrong Ones.

TIA
The Duelist

Edit: Deleting The Old PD2 User Dict & Flashcard Files Fixed My Problem
After Re-Installing The PD2 Engine & Keyfile
My PD2 Is Now Running :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The flashcard file should be called Pleco Flashcards; the user dictionary file names can vary, but probably "Pleco User DB C-E" and "Pleco User DB E-C" *with* a few digits at the end. ("PlecoDict User DB C-E" without any numbers is your old 1.0 user dict file, and "PlecoDict Flashcards" is your 1.0 flashcard file) Make sure to also delete any files with those same names and "journal" appended after them. Those files could definitely cause problems, the implementation of SQLite we used Beta 1 had a couple of file-corruption bugs in it and the new version is likely failing because of those bugs; SQLite itself wouldn't crash in that case, so the crashes are probably the fault of our code not properly checking values returned by SQLite for a corrupt/invalid database error.

gary

thanks mike. Deleting those files (there were none named journal) fixed the assertion failed. I'm now trying to import the HSK flash lists but it seems to have frozen. Perhaps it's importing but there's no status info. MyKbd works great with this release so perhaps I'll try to use 2.0 more.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Glad (and relieved) to hear it! There should be a count of cards imported in the corner of the display, so if that's not showing up then it probably isn't importing anything. Make sure you're using the correct text encoding for the file you're trying to import, and make sure to use PalmDoc format rather than a text file.

There some random characters (like a 1 or a colon) on the right edge of the Char Info screen, especially when I choose some info under "Details" is not the default info.

I love the character info stuff Stroke order speed is so much better. I know your trying to trim things down to simplify, but If I'm looking at a list of Compounds, I would REALLY like to be able to ad the one I'm looking at to my flash card list with out having to go to the actual entry... (example, I learn the character jie1 for festival...I should be able to go down the list and add quite a few festivals without have to go back and forth constantly)...I tried using Command-W, which would be sufficient, but the menu doesn't work in the Char Info screen.

Also, can the a floating definition pop up when I click on a compound in the Char Info box? That would solve it. Right now, I mostly see the character and pinyin, and maybe one word of the definition. Oh, and the audio doesn't appear to work in the pop-up definition right now

I'm not my moving my flash-cards over yet, but I'm testing import stuff thoroughly because this feature is so important to me. Exporting some of my PD1 flash-cards, then immediately importing them to PD2 didn't work initially, so I decided just to use the CMESeparate file that I downloaded from the Pleco website. Then I tried progressively easier trials, and it either gave me a Fatal Exception alert, or a variety of other alerts that I can't reproduce now. Any ideas to make this feature testable?

I'm esspecially interested to see what method will be used to migrate my rather complex ranking system (23 ranks, designed to simulate a SuperMemo experience) over to the point system. BUT, right now, I'm just interested in getting import to work in some fashion so you guys get make some headway.

Also, I remember reading something about how the new system will allow only one profile at a time (that is, giving me the Character, asking me to give the definition on all the flashcards in that session-not a mixture based on their rank)...However, if I'm using "Automated" Scoring Type, and then Use Repetition Spaced Card Selection...won't it be possible that I happen to always get C-E for certain cards, and never get tested for E-C? Is there a way to alternate (or even better, scroll through) profiles as a card appears less and less frequently? This may be a pretty complicated, but the new SuperMemo brain isn't worth much if it doesn't test me both ways.

By the way...I've tried testing out the Automated scoring, and it doesn't seem to adjust the score of my flashcards when I mark it right or wrong...they are all stuck at 100.

Sorry for rambling, but I just kept this window open while I was messing around.

roddy

秀才
Installed and running, doesn't seem to be conflicting with Plecodict Original like it did previously on my TX. Much smoother than before, and starting to look much more like a finished product. Haven't explored in depth yet though.

One notable problem so far is that I can't exit the application without causing a soft reset. When I hit any of the hardware buttons along the bottom to take me to the apps screen, etc, the device restarts. Or is this a feature designed to stop us accidentally using any other applications? :wink:

Edit: Might have spoken too soon. Getting soft resets on start up now - sometimes after a blank screen, sometimes it starts to draw the screen then resets.

Edit Edit: Working again, and I can now exit the application as well. Happy Plecophile again . . .

Unable To Add Flashcards

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PlecoDict Beta2
- Unable To Add Flashcards Using Command Bar

I Only Have 1 Flashcard In PD2. (It's Ni3)
I Am Unable To See It in The Manage Flashcard Screens,
But It Shows Up If I Start a Flashcard Session.

At The Moment, All the Flashcard Options Are VERY Confusing.
Having Only One Flashcard, I Have A Limited Context In Which They Are Meant To Function.
(Selecting The Simple Flashcard Option Helps a Little).

The Duelist

beirne

进士
mikelove said:
On the Assertion Failed error - does this happen after you reinstall? Did you make sure to delete all of the Beta 1 data files, including the flashcard lists / user dictionaries? This sounds like a problem with the SQLite database system we use for those, but since it didn't come up in our testing my first instinct is to think it has something to do with the data files. This could also explain the blank screen beirne is experiencing on exit.

I cleared everything off of the card but left a few unfamiliar files in memory. Now that you mention it they do look like flashcard and user dictionary files. I just deleted them and the assertion went away. It also fixes the exit problem as you suspected. Thanks!

ipsi

状元
It doesn't conflict too much with Pleco 1.3, but on Palm it still only sees Pleco Engine in some contexts (like holding the Main button on the 680, or trying to assign it to a hardkey). I'm not sure why. I think it's because it has the same creator ID? Dunno.

I also got the same Reset on exit for a while that Roddy did. Not sure why it went away, but it did. *shrug*. Multi-choice is still having issues, or at least the Audio bit is, as it only shows the correct answer... On the plus side, it does format it correctly, with tone marks :). Free answer works fine though. :)

What I'd really like to see is a way to add flashcards consisting only of Pinyin, which would make it a lot easier to drill Tones and suchlike.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Clicking "Help", "About" it still says Pleco 2.0 Beta 1 although I have deleted all old Pleco files both from the SD-card and the internal memory and then downloaded and installed Beta 2 with audio files, fonts, new keyfile and everything.

After installing the keyfile I got an error message that not all paid components have been installed. However, for now I haven't noticed any problem using audio, stroke order and the new dictionaries.

-----------
Glofiish x500+
WM6

FUmminger

秀才
Treo 680
Palm OS Garnet v.5.4.9
Firmware: R01.34
Software: TREO680-1.09-ATT
Cellulare carrier ATT
2GB SDC card w/ 87.5 MB free after installation of Beta 2.0
9.6 MB internal memory free after installation of Beta 2.0

Beta 2.0 was installed with most components on the SD card using Palm Quick Install. Tried moving some of them into internal memory with no benefit.

CJKOS previously installed, but is now uninstalled.
Tried it both with FieldPlus installed and uninstalled.
Card Reader is installed.
PlecoDict 1.0 is installed, with most components on the SD card.

Problems:
None of the paid for components have unlocked, i.e. stroke order, audio, ABC and NWP dictionaries.
Audio button only creates a high-pitched repeating whine that continues until the program is exited.
Tapping on a character to get the char info causes the Treo to reset.
Trying to open a Big5 file with PlecoRead causes the Treo to reset.
Basically none of the cool new features are working for me :cry: .
There are two unihan.pdb files in the Beta 2,0 download; I'm not sure how to install them both without overwriting one, or if both are needed.

Frederick

FUmminger

秀才
Oops, I made some kind of mistake when installing the keyfile. Somehow I ended up downloading a keyfile1.prc file, which I thought was the right thing, but wasn't. Going back, getting the right keyfile.pdb file, and installing it has fixed the problems with unlocking and with PlecoRead crashing. However, I still cannot access char info or get audio working.

I also noticed that selecting "Help" under the "Help" menu causes the program to lock up; I get click sounds when I tap on buttons, but nothing happens. Exiting and then returning to the program fixes the problem.

Hmm, and then after a while the audio, stroke and NWP components, but not the ABC, have moved back to demo status!

Frederick

Okay, I'm a Sissy ... so I waited until Beta 2. My setup:
  • Palm T|X
  • LauncherX
  • 2GB SD Card, filled with PlecoDict 1 and some other stuff (moved PlecoDict 1 to /PALM/Programs/PlecoDict1).
  • PlecoDict 2 files installed on SD card in /PALM/Programs/PlecoDict. Left out 21cn.pdb, guifan.pdb and ctbiz.pdb (no need at my low level), otherwise installed all stuff including audio and strokes.
  • Pleco Engine.prc, keyfile.pdb, PlecoDict HWR Library.prc, PlecoDict HWR Database.pdb installed also in T|X Internal memory.

My first impressions: yeah! Stroke order diagrams, yessss!!!! Audio, yesssss!!!! (sorry :oops: ) I had been waiting for sooo long for this. Finally!

:arrow: Unfortunately, LauncherX cannot distinguish PlecoDict 1 from 2: it shows only PlecoDict 1 and does only start version 1. If I copy Pleco Engine.prc onto the SD card into /PALM/Launcher then albeit I see the Pleco Engine icon, LauncherX starts always PlecoDict 1. I have to exit LauncherX and drop back into Palm's launcher in order to start PlecoDict2.

:arrow: is there a way to set my preferred audio level? The sound is rather soft (piano) at the same level I use for other Palm applications.

:arrow: Please bring back the preference for setting the path where PlecoEngine looks for its files! :shock: If the files are neither installed in Launcher nor PlecoDict, the error box that appears incorrectly states "Pleco Dict" as the directory's name, instead of "PlecoDict" (without the space).

:!: Leaving PlecoDict sometimes leaves me with a blank white screen (with the Palm "toolbar" at the bottom), requiring a pressing the reset button on the back of the T|X.

:!: The background in the Char Info dialog is mixed gray and white; while Palm paints white, PlecoDict paints some areas gray. An interesting art experience for sure :mrgreen:

:arrow: "Slow" in the stroke order display is still way too fast! Could you add a "crawl" speed please? :wink:

:arrow: Input using the pen is a bit daunting at the moment: I need to pause after each character written because PlecoDict is busy scanning the dictionary and thus the digitizer is blocked. This was much smoother in PlecoDict 1, but then this is just the second beta.

Despite the quirks: Thank you, Mike!

ipsi

状元
Fred, have you installed the keyfile? If not, there's the reason. Were they all working under B1? Everything works fine on my 680.

FUmminger

秀才
Yes, I installed the keyfile.

I just did another reinstall of everything, and this time all components were properly recognized as purchased and the audio worked. Then the audio started looping again at the end of a word. I exited the program and reopened it. Now most of the components are listed as demos again and audio no longer works.

It was pretty cool while it worked 8) !

Frederick

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wow, lot of responses here... thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Fleminator: the graphical glitches with Char Info are well-known, it's the least mature of our dynamically-laid-out interfaces at the moment. Add to Flash in the component lists is a great idea, and I don't think it would confuse things too much, though we do need to do something about dictionary selection since right now it gives you some pretty weird results if you use while the software is in E-C mode. Floating definitions might also work but that does seem like it might be a little too much UI. Audio doesn't yet work anywhere except the main dictionary interface and flashcards, the programming interface for that is a moving target and we didn't want to keep having to update it in half a dozen different places.

We've basically only tested flashcard import with the HSK lists, so try one of those and see if you have better luck. Best to do it on a new / empty flashcard file, too. The rank migration will basically just map all of those ranks onto the new frequency-weighting "scores", so all of those repetition-spacing values should come over almost exactly, though once they've moved over the software won't be using the same algorithm to update the scores after each test so the intervals will develop differently than they did in 1.0. And that's a good point about profiles, the "scorefile" system is designed to deal with that but that's admittedly rather complicated and we really might benefit from a more streamlined approach.

roddy - great! Not sure about that soft reset on exit business, we haven't seen that at all here - probably something being freed more than once, we did a lot of work in eliminating memory leaks so there may be some redundant and potentially-crash-producing cleanup code in there now.

The Duelist - try deleting your flashcard file (again if you already did) and you should have no trouble creating lots of flashcards in the new one. In Manage Cards, the date field is a little glitchy so go back and manually reset it to, say, all cards created after 1/1/2000 and it should show you your card. And yeah, we do need to do something about the "standard" flashcard interface along with adding the new simplified one.

beirne - glad to hear it. In FileZ you can also look for files with type "PSDB", those are all flashcard or user dict files.

ipsi - yikes, you're right, the creator codes are still the same. We updated the creator code in the debug version but not the release one... anyway, we'll fix this soon but for now if you use FileZ or another file manager utility to change the code to PLEN that should get rid of the conflicts. (you could also open up the .prc file with a hex editor and manually change the first "PLDE" in the file to "PLEN", it's right up in the first hundred or so bytes of data)

Multi-choice still needs some extensive debugging, yes. Not to mention eliminating a few of the more goofy modes, like audio-based multi-choice Pinyin, which is pretty silly/easy if it's changing the syllables along with the tones; even someone who hadn't studied a day of Chinese could probably hear 'wo' and correctly tap on 'wo' instead of 'ni' or 'ta'. For Pinyin flashcards, we're actually thinking about adding a whole separate little mode which drills you on pronunciation without requiring flashcards at all; it's the same ~400 syllables regardless of what level you're at, so just a little extra screen you could go into that would play you random audio selections and ask you to correctly input (or select from multi-choice) the result could be very helpful.

TaiwanSwedey - that's very odd, the data file has definitely been updated to say Beta 2. Any chance you might have accidentally installed the wrong application file? Not sure about that paid components message, maybe it's noticing the fact that we've only released a partial set of audio files so far.

FUmminger - the duplicate unihan was a dumb mistake on our part, the two flies are identical so you don't have to worry about installing both. But glad to hear the unlock at least briefly worked for you... have you tried unlocking, immediately exiting PlecoDict, soft resetting your Palm and then opening again? Does that make it any more likely to "stick"? The "Help" glitch is a known problem, we haven't gotten around to implementing that form yet so right now it doesn't even know to exit when you tap on the appropriate button.

haraldalbrecht - use FileZ to change the creator code of Pleco Engine to PLEN and the launcher problem should go away. Good idea about having a preference for the audio level, it's a bit soft for us too. Custom file paths will definitely come back once we get around to implementing string-based preferences, we may even consider implementing them on Pocket PC to reduce startup time (no reason why Pleco should have to search every directory every time you run it). A slower stroke order setting has actually been requested by a few people so that should definitely happen, and for pen input, have you tried increasing the "search delay" setting in Preferences?