Beta 2 Bug Reporting

Rik123

秀才
Couple of things I've found:

Switching using the "Dict >Toggle Simp / Trad Chars" menu item or using the toolbar button causes the characters to update where necessary in the definitions and stroke order sections, but not in the list of other words that are on the right-hand side they always stay simplified. This works in PD1

If I leave my phone for a few minutes so that it turns to standby, when I press the power button to turn it back on PD2 will display for a second but then exit. Possibly related to this, pressing the power button several times to switch my phone on/off/on/off... will cause PD2 to exit. In both cases PD2 is no longer shown in the list of running programs.

E-TEN M600+
WM5 WWE

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The character set toggle problem sounds like a typical Lazy Programmer Error, but I'm not sure about the other issue - most likely the software is timing out too quickly waiting for the memory card to be re-enabled after you put the device to sleep.

Hi!

The following contains improvement proposals and bug reports, but I didn't know were to put it, so it's here:
If some point was said somewhere else please ignore it:

bugs:
1) list view with fullscreen handwriting recognition doesn't work properly, since two tabs an one line interrupts the handwriting recognition and marks the entry. This often happens when I try to write characters.
2) plecoBeta2 is very slow on my HTC Touch, but I think this will be solved soon.
3) plecoBeta2 character info doesn't work. Actually there are so many things that don't work that I'll wait till Beta3 for a detailed report.

improvement proposals:
3) chinese handwriting: a "following-character-list", which shows up when one character is recognized would make input much faster. Most of other handwriting recognizers have this. One list is for the written character, another one for characters that may follow to compose a word. (I think wordlists with frequency of occurrence are needed for that)
4) a thicker fullscreen-handwriting-line would make a much nicer look & write
5) Search in all indexes/automatic languange switch
6) a fast popup english keyboard would be very nice. Since then one could always use fullscreen handwriting and if needed popup the keyboard (windows mobile is very slow when switching keyboards) to enter an english word (which would be auto-detected without switching the language because of 5).
7) a backspace in handwriting recognition would be nice too.
8) support of windows mobile options in the input field would be nice: click and hold gets a popup menu with copy, paste,...

So this is kind of my wishlist! It may seem to be a little brazen/exorbitant/barefaced (I don't know the right word in english :)), but everybody is free to just ignore it.

Looking forward to a great Beta3,
Sebastian

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not quite sure if I follow you on bug #1 - could you be a little more detailed? How and where are you entering tabs? How are entries being marked? With #3, are you sure you installed the character reference (UniHan) data file, and that you've purchased/unlocked the stroke order diagrams feature?

With your suggested improvements, we've thought about adding something like #3 but it doesn't seem like it would be of much use since you're already getting a list of words that start with that character if you look it up in the dictionary. Frequency sorting has been discussed here before, but my take on it is that for a lot of people it's actually a negative since you may already know the most common words starting with a specific character - better to order words by some sort of consistent system like pronunciation.

#4 is a good idea, we've got a lot of improvements to make aesthetics-wise in general though some of them may have to get punted to 2.1. For #5, queries already search all of the dictionaries but we do need to re-enable falling back on full-text searches of E-C dictionaries if it can't find any results in the C-E ones. (or vice versa) With #6, there already is a keyboard in the fullscreen input box - where specifically do you think that should be improved? #7 likewise already exists, the button is right next to the input area at the top of the screen, and #8 we've gotten a bunch of requests for and will almost certainly be adding at some point.

@bug#1: tab==click with the stylus..; auto-detect after 1/2 sec is activated;
when writing fullscreen, one has to lift off the pencil and put it down again between two strokes of a character. If this put down occurs to be at a position which is in the same line two times, the handwriting recognition is interrupted (no character is recognized, written strokes are cleared), and the entry in the specific line is marked (=has focus).
marked: if one is not in fullscreen recognition mode and clicks (with a stylus) on one of the entries, the entry is marked.

The easiest way to reproduce it is to just try to enter some characters in fullsreen handwriting mode while in list view (maybe you have to write fast...).
If still unclear please ask. Sorry for my sloppy explaination first time.

@3.1) I've got "Pleco Stroke Order Dat" at "Purchased components"; PlecoStroke-file and unihan-file are on the sd-card, like the dictionaries,...
@3.2) I used this feature for almost 3 years and it made input much faster, although if it's sorted by frequency, and dictionary lists something similiar; it was still somehow usefull all the time. I think i use it almost 50% the times I search for something. Maybe because clicking is faster than scrolling. You get a list with the one char, but the word you're searching for still often is one (or more) screens below.
@6) I can just popup a fullscreen input palette. the on-screen keyboard i can just activate/deactivate in the menu. but maybe I'm still not familiar enough with the beta2.
@7) Sorry i overlooked this. I was used to handwritten backspace (just a stroke from write to left). But with the button this is not necessary.

Thanks,
Sebastian

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Tomcollins - on #1, sorry, I thought you were referring to the input palette in Pleco 2.0 (which takes up the whole screen and hence could be considered "fullscreen") rather than the on-screen handwriting input in PlecoDict 1.0. The latter isn't even supported in the current 2.0 beta yet, hence my confusion. But the use of more custom controls in 2.0 should make this work a lot more smoothly once it's reimplemented.

On #3.1, what happens when you try to open up Character Info? If it doesn't work at all, are you sure you've got it configured to come up when characters are tapped in Preferences? It doesn't work when run from the menu yet...

On #6, if you tap on the keyboard button in the Pleco input palette at the bottom of the screen that should quickly bring up an on-screen keyboard in the same place.

ssaito - it's called unihan.pdb and should be in the "encodings" folder.

Mike,

I got char info work. I always tried the menu. Sorry.
I think I should wait for a later version before post such small stuff.

Thanks for your help!