2) 'Multiple-Choice' Test
Show: Head + Defn + Audio
Ask For: Headword

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b7(a)

radioman

状元
Mike,

Just to be clear, if I bring up the main dictionary screen and enter a simple period off the graphiti pad by tapping twice in the character area, thats when I see the crash. I can repeat this with some other punctuation marks as well.

For my settings I have my settings scheduled to start the search after 1.5 seconds after last input.

The other repeatable one was to go and create a manual flashcard, where once in the flashcard population screen, hitting the Hanzi select button on the left crashes the system.

You are not seeing either one of these?

I will get you more info when I do the memory reorganization.

###

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
estudiando - OK, reproduced that popup problem here - should be easy enough to fix. Hyperlinks as ipsi says are already enabled in B7, though only in the main dictionary (though we should probably bring them up in a popup window in other contexts, otherwise a lot of people will think it's a bug).

The Duelist - yep, reproduced that hyperlink crash here too - nice that we're finally seeing the same bugs :) Audio auto-play is actually deliberately disabled when audio's one of the "Show" fields, though come to think of it I'm not sure exactly why we decided to make it work that way. (so a feature change request, I guess)

radioman - nope, definitely not seeing that here. Any other settings changes?

Testing 2.0 on the E2 today I'm starting to appreciate just how tight the database cache memory on it is - if you install CJKOS with all available data files, that will literally take up 3/4 of the available memory just by itself, which prevents Pleco 2.0 from even starting up (not enough memory left to load its application code / handwriting database) and makes even 1.0 likely to die with a NULL handle error after a minute or two. So I think the general rule on the E2 is don't-run-anything-in-the-background-unless-you-absolutely-have-to; if you've been using CJKOS, turn it off and see if that reduces the crashing frequency.

Running out of database cache memory could theoretically cause crashes in both of the scenarios you describe - with the punctuation searches because it's cycling through every dictionary in the course of establishing none of them have an entry for those punctuation marks, and with the Hanzi select button in flashcards because even loading a form layout resource means a few extra K going into the database cache. Though I could certainly imagine other causes for them too - what manual card did you create that caused this latter crash? Could you spell out the exact sequence of button taps you used?

Bug Report: New Flashcard Session
-> Card Filter
--> Times Reviewed Filter
The Times Reviewed Filter Selection Doesn't Seem To Be Working Correctly
eg '=0' / '<1' Doesn't Select Cards That Havn't Been Reviewed Yet.

ipsi/mike, thanks. I was wondering what "link tap action" was. Just tried it and here is a new bug:

ge (underlined in ABC) doesn't seem to have a definition, so when you link tap it brings the definition of the previous link-tap

Sarevok

进士
mikelove said:
I meant the behavior with sessions ending on the next card after the system was put in standby - does that still happen with the flashcard file in internal memory? (the error message is definitely related to that Skip setting

To this day I couldn't reproduce that bug, so it was most probably caused by the flascards file being on the memory card (wonder how did it end up there in the first place, but it doesn't matter... it was probably some blunder on my end anyway). There was also a considerable increase in speed in everything that has to do with flashcards like adding new cards (took a few seconds before the "Card added" popup message was shown) or the actual flashcards sessions (was also a bit on the slower side before, revealing and moving to a next card happens almost instantly now)

HP iPAQ 211 Windows Mobile 6.1
Experimental B7 Stability-Fix Release

I just found this bug, not sure if it was in the pre-Experimental B7 Stability-Fix Release or not.
In Flash cards "Reviewing" mode if I click the Back Arrow, the Hanzi and Pinyin are refreshed, but the Description stays the same as the last card reviewed. The Audio also does not play again. If I start clicking the forward arrow again, the Description starts updating again once I have reached the last card reviewed before backing up.

Besides that all seems to be working great. Thanks for all the hard work. Great product.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The Duelist - seeing that here too, looks like a bug from one of the changes we made to the start-session query in B7(a).

estudiando - not sure what's happening there, it seems to work correctly when it's copied to the Input Field so this must be specific to the popup version.

Sarevok - definitely sounds like it's SD-card-related, yes.

johnowenschina - are you using the dictionary-remapping feature by any chance? ("Dicts" tab in Advanced settings) This sounds like it might have something to do with that.

sfrrr

状元
OK. I'm back from vacation and am anxious to get my report in, so I haven't read all the previous three weeks of posts in this thread. Also, I haven't installed the latest fix. I apologize in advance if my comments are redundant.

I'm now using my iPAQ 211 exclusively. PD, except for executable and handwriting, is on an 8 GB SD card that has about 1.5 gigs left.

1. Let's say I've searched for jiu/old, but am not certain about the tone so I don't indicate it.
The list starts with the jiu1 words, so I tap on the first possibility. Up it comes. But this isn't the jiu I want, so I scroll down the list to the next jiu character. I tap on it, and instead of taking me to the second jiu, PD jumps me to an A word (Chinese). I an work around it by tapping my selection (that is, the next jiu candidate) three times very quickly. But I mean VERY quickly. If it jumps to the A word, though, it's very hard to get PD to forget the As and go back to the jiu list. The A words seem random, but don't go beyond af...--I get A-ban, a, aba, ading..., ac..., afei. This is a barely intermittent problem, meaning that it happens almost all the time, but every once in a while, PD works properly.

2. I can't get the list to persist. That is, as soon as I select a word from the list (which I have running vertically on the right side), the list goes away and I have to use the list toggle icon in the toolbar to retrieve it. (The input panel always runs along the bottom, if this is pertinent.)

3. I can't get any audio in the flashcards.

4. The Launch PD and the PD app take the same amount of time to boot up--17 to 22 seconds. I have about 2000 flashcards and maybe a 100 custom definitions as well as all of the supplied dictionaries.

5. Flashcards load quickly--a second or so at the most.

6. Language detection started out great. I'd use the keyboard to enter a word, and PD would switch me from, say, Chinese into English. Doesn't work reliably any longer. In fact, mostly doesn't work.

7. I can get only 13 icons (in portrait) on my toolbar, even though I have specified 16. And that includes the eraser icon. Isn't this supposed to be scalable for VGA displays?

8. Almost every time I close out of Preferences, PD shuts down. I guess this is a crash, although it's a very polite crash--PD saves all my changed settings before it closes.

9. Also, I deleted every PD file I could find in main memory, file store, SD, and CF cards. (And the registry, but there were no registry entries, as you'd expect, since I didn't use an installer to install the program. However, my categories persisted, even though I started my flashcards all over again.

There are more, but I'll wait until I've played with the experimental stability fix.

Hope something's useful here.

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
#s 1 and 2 sound like misfiring preferences settings - set List Tap Action to "None" in the Stylus Actions part of Preferences and they should go away.

#3 I'm not sure about - do you get audio elsewhere? Is the flashcard session actually configured to play audio? Does it make any difference if you turn off the "skip words not in database" option?

#4 is slow because you've got lots and lots of files on your Pocket PC and Pleco scans all of them whenever it activates to look for new ones - go to the External section of Preferences and turn off "Search for new files on program activate" and this get it to start up much quicker with PlecoLaunch (or otherwise switching to it when it's already running in the background).

#6 sounds like it might also be something preferences-related - which settings have you changed from their defaults? Could you give me some examples of how it doesn't work?

#7's been on the bug list for a while, just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

#8 I'm not so sure about - might be that file search command again, definitely try turning that off.

#9 there'd still be registry entries since Pleco would create them itself, but the flashcard categories shouldn't persist - are you sure you deleted the Pleco Flashcards file in My Documents?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
A few clarifications:

#1 is partly a bug too - with that List Tap Action set to Mode (or Mode/Hide) it was in fact jumping to the wrong entries (a ban/etc), though it sounds from #2 like you didn't intend to have it set that way anyway. We'll add "(Sel Entry)" to the "None" item in that list to make it clearer that None doesn't actually mean it does nothing but simply means it does what it normally does, I can imagine that might be confusing for people since with everything else on the screen if the choice is None it does absolutely nothing.

#7 actually isn't a bug after all, it's just that on a VGA screen 13 is the maximum number of icons you can fit (they're each 48 pixels wide) - the list goes up to 16 because on the new extra-large 800x480 screens you can squeeze in up to 16.

HP iPAQ 211 Windows Mobile 6.1
Experimental B7 Stability-Fix Release

I just found this bug, not sure if it was in the pre-Experimental B7 Stability-Fix Release or not.
In Flash cards "Reviewing" mode if I click the Back Arrow, the Hanzi and Pinyin are refreshed, but the Description stays the same as the last card reviewed. The Audio also does not play again. If I start clicking the forward arrow again, the Description starts updating again once I have reached the last card reviewed before backing up.

Mike Love Replied:
johnowenschina - are you using the dictionary-remapping feature by any chance? ("Dicts" tab in Advanced settings) This sounds like it might have something to do with that.
mikelove

I still haven't figured out all advanced settings, looking forward to the final documentation. But on the page you mentioned, Advanced>Dicts, I HAD selected the "Force defns from dicts:" checkbox, and removed some of the dictionaries from the left panel, I only left ABC, and Oxford C-E.

Now I have cleared (unselected) the "Force defns from dicts" checkbox and returned all of the dictionaries to the left panel, BUT now only the Hanzi shows up when I start a flash card session, no pinyin or definition or audio. This is from the start, not just when backing up using the left arrow.

I haven't tried to re-import my flash card list yet. Maybe that will put it all back together.
Update: I tried all the other flashcard display options, such as Self-scored, Free answer, and Multiple-choice, and they all work correctly, ONLY the Review mode does not.

I am reluctant to throw away all my flashcards and start again. Any suggestions?

Tapcis Palm Landscape Mode

When I configure the second toolbar buttons (I have 6 right now), there's ample room for a 7th between it and the right end of the entry line. I.E. the entry line could be much longer in this case.

When I configure for 3 (the default), it still appears to me that there would be room for 4 buttons.

If I turn on the input area (resulting in a square screen area for Pleco), it's too close for me to tell if there is still enough room for an extra button or not. So, I suspect that this is what's driving the overly conservative narrowness of the input line.

Bug Report/Feature Request:

In Flashcards Self-Scored Separate Reveal Mode,
The Assigned 'Reveal/Answer' Button Should Reveal Answers One At A Time.
(As It Does In PD1)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
johnowenschina - what have you selected from the "Show" list in the New Session form? Review-only will only show you the fields you've selected there, it won't reveal the rest of the card at all, so if only the headword is selected in that box then it would make sense that you'd only see it in the session. (so the fact that it was showing you something else with that remapping option enabled would actually be the bug)

stephanhodges - the reason for the gap is that the system needs extra space to draw the Graffiti Shift Indicator (the arrow that shows up when you're in capitalized / punctuation input mode). It might look like there's enough room for an extra button, but if you took away a button's worth of width there wouldn't be enough left for the shift indicator.

The Duelist - that's actually another deliberate-change-I'm-not-sure-about - now that we've got the Screen Left / Center / Right button options it seemed like it made more sense to control the field reveals that way, since otherwise there's no way to choose which field is revealed first.

Mike Love's reply:
johnowenschina - what have you selected from the "Show" list in the New Session form? Review-only will only show you the fields you've selected there, it won't reveal the rest of the card at all, so if only the headword is selected in that box then it would make sense that you'd only see it in the session. (so the fact that it was showing you something else with that remapping option enabled would actually be the bug)

It doesn't matter what I have selected, Pron, Defn, Audio, Head+Pron, Head+Defn, Pron+Defn, HPD, HPA, PDA, All... they all only show the Hanzi when I have selected "Review only" as the Test type.

This is the first drop-down list to the right of Initial: for the 400, 800, and 1600 the all have "Head" selected.

I just changed the selections for 400, 800, and 1600 to HPD and now it shows me H P D not just Hanzi. So what is the difference between the selections for Initial, 400, 800 and 1600?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Go to the General tab of Advanced settings and set "Subject Selection" to "Simple" - that will get you back to just one field selection box and should get things to behave more logically. You had it on "Score-based," a feature which allows you to change which parts of a card will be visible depending on its score - those number fields specify the score thresholds above which the system will use a particular set of fields.

(the danger in having so many options is that it's very easy for even experienced users to accidentally change something without realizing it - hence the need to further streamline the flashcard configuration interface in 2.1)

Reply to Mike Love:
Go to the General tab of Advanced settings and set "Subject Selection" to "Simple" - that will get you back to just one field selection box and should get things to behave more logically. You had it on "Score-based," a feature which allows you to change which parts of a card will be visible depending on its score - those number fields specify the score thresholds above which the system will use a particular set of fields.

(the danger in having so many options is that it's very easy for even experienced users to accidentally change something without realizing it - hence the need to further streamline the flashcard configuration interface in 2.1)

Great! It works now. Glad to find out it was just one of my settings and not a bug. Looking forward to the "finished" documentation. I agree with a previous post, that online help built into the system would be nice, expecially owing to the complexity of the flashcard system. I build a desktop program based on the Modern 1000 Chinese Characters book. All the components were a breeze, until I got too aggressive in my flashcard system. That is where I got bogged down, as I wanted to add too many "like to haves". In the end they messed up the "gotta haves." Looks to me like you have a great system going. Keep up the good work.

BTW, I understand your need to wait for the finished program until putting out the documentation. I am a technical writer for a multinational telecommuications company here in China. Marketing is always pushing us to deliver the documentation before the major bugs are fixed, even often just after the System Requirements Specification (SRS)stage. Talk about 头疼... we are re-writing the documents everytime there is a minor system change. So that said, though I look forward to the documentation, I can wait!

Problems Adding Categories To Flashcards

Bug Report:
Manage Flashcards -> More Options
Apply Changes To: 'Search Results'
-> Add Category (X)

This Function Isn't Working.

After Confirming That I Want To Apply The Changes,
A PD2 Counter Appears To Run Through Each Card.
At The End Process, It Looks As Though PD2 Has Deleted The Whole Flashcard DB :shock:
PD2 Had Created A New Flashcard DB On The SD Card,
& No Changes To The Original Flashcard DB.

Bug Report:
Flashcard Configured Button Actions: Scroll Defn Up/Down Aren't Working In Flashcard Sessions