Beta 7 Bug Report Thread

mikelove said:
The Duelist - that's actually another deliberate-change-I'm-not-sure-about - now that we've got the Screen Left / Center / Right button options it seemed like it made more sense to control the field reveals that way, since otherwise there's no way to choose which field is revealed first.
OK, I've Sorted Out How The Left/Centre/Right Configuration Works. 8)

Minor Bug Report:
Inside A Flashcard Session,
If You Go Back/Forward Looking At Previous Cards, To 'Toggle Category',
The State Of The 'Toggle Category' Isn't Kept In Sync With The Displayed Card.

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b7(a)

Flashcard Toggle Category Causes Crash

Bug Report: Flashcard Toggle Category Not Working

Test Type: Multiple-Choice
Show: Audio
Ask For: Headword, Headword + Defn

Test Type: Multiple-Choice
Show: Headword
Ask For: Pron + Defn

1) Toggle Category Does Not Work.

2) Toggle Category (Tap & Hold) + Tap -> Crashes Every Time.

weight

举人
Hi Mike,

The up and down buttons on the TX's navigation pad can be assigned an action in "configure button action" but don't appear to work during an actual flash card session (they will navigate otherwise and there are no problems with the left, right and center buttons). It's not really a big issue because there are a total of 7 remaining that do work but these two are somewhat strategically located. Additionally, there doesn't seem to be a way to assign "skip card" to a button?

Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
johnowenschina - great! We're working as hard as we can to get the documentation done - there's quite a lot on the DocuWiki now, though.

The Duelist - well that's odd... are you sure you didn't move the database to the card with PlecoMover at some point? It should still have opened the one in internal memory first, though - how does it look like the whole database has been deleted? If you go into the Statistics screen are there no cards remaining?

Scroll up/down has been mentioned by a bunch of people now, definitely something wrong there. We'll take a look at the category not updating, might be related to the multi-choice options similarly not updating. The crash sounds like it might have to do with that database move - does it give you a specific error message? Does changing categories in the Card Info screen work? Has anybody else experienced similar problems? Not reproducible at the moment anyway...

weight - yeah, Skip Card probably should get a button command too.

sych

榜眼
2.0b7(a), Treo 680 - Occasional crash using full-screen HWR.

I'm getting an occasional crash (soft reset) when using full-screen handwriting recognition. The crash generally occurs right after I lift the pen at the end of a stroke. I haven't found any way to reproduce the problem on demand, but it's been happening about once a day since I started using full-screen input about a week ago. It seems more likely to occur after I have been doing a few searches. It has occurred both with B7 and B7(a).

FYI, my settings: Left-handed input interface, auto-rec after 1 second, palette is at the bottom of the screen.
I'm pretty sure that the crash happens on pen-up, rather than at the auto-rec stage.

NB, apart from this, the only remaining issues I have with PD2 are just cosmetic. B7(a) has been very stable for me.

Re: Problems Adding Categories To Flashcards

The Duelist said:
Bug Report:
Manage Flashcards -> More Options
Apply Changes To: 'Search Results'
-> Add Category (X)

This Function Isn't Working.

After Confirming That I Want To Apply The Changes,
A PD2 Counter Appears To Run Through Each Card.
At The End Process, It Looks As Though PD2 Has Deleted The Whole Flashcard DB :shock:
PD2 Had Created A New Flashcard DB On The SD Card,
& No Changes To The Original Flashcard DB.

mikelove said:
The Duelist - well that's odd... are you sure you didn't move the database to the card with PlecoMover at some point? It should still have opened the one in internal memory first, though - how does it look like the whole database has been deleted? If you go into the Statistics screen are there no cards remaining?

Scroll up/down has been mentioned by a bunch of people now, definitely something wrong there. We'll take a look at the category not updating, might be related to the multi-choice options similarly not updating. The crash sounds like it might have to do with that database move - does it give you a specific error message? Does changing categories in the Card Info screen work? Has anybody else experienced similar problems? Not reproducible at the moment anyway...
The Bulk Category Update Issue Was Repeatable,
But Seems To Have Been Fixed By Copying The Flashcard DB Out & Back In. :?

The 'Toggle Category' Bug &
'Toggle Category ->Tap & Hold' Crash (No Error Message)
Still Occur.

marsch

举人
a few more problems:
1. import: sometimes new words are not matched as I would expect. E.g. I imported dai4 带, and that created a new flashcard, although I already had several (?!?) flashcards with that same headword and pinyin. I noticed, though, that those I had all had a traditional character. Could there be a problem if a flashcard has a traditional character that is different from its simplified form? Found a few more examples of double flashcards, but none where simplified and traditional are the same - so that the traditional would not show. Sorry my explanation is a bit confusing...
2. session, card filter: "last review date" doesn't work and is not persistent, changes to something weird when I reenter the screen
3. the "Calendar" option (advanced settings - general) is only visible when "repetition spacing" is selected - does it also affect the "only change once/day" or is that a wrong observation?
4. manage flashcards: time filter seems to operate on GMT, so with me sitting in GMT + 8, I've got a problem.
5. filter by score: cards without scorefile (i.e. default score 100) don't appear
6. no pinyin in dict entry => no audio in flashcards. There's obviously nothing you could do about that, but I sometimes wonder why there are still cards hanging around (i.e. score 100), but I never get to see them. This seems to be one reason (at least when I'm doing an audio session). Maybe a warning? Not sure where and how, though.
7. I imported the "Chinese Made Easier" Flashcards and mostly it works fine. Have some problems with statistics, though: e.g., for category "Book 1" (which includes sub-categories for Lessons 1-10) I get a total of 47 cards with a score of 100, but if I sum up lessons 1-10, there are only 2 cards with score 100 which is also what I see in "manage flashcards". Total number of cards is 475 in all three cases. ??? Needless to say the "missing" 45 cards don't appear in a session, or else I might have been able to figure out what the problem is...
8. Not sure whether this is a bug report or a feature suggestion (my wife hopes it's a bug :) ), but there is no color coding on the pinyin, only on the Hanzi.

bglasow

举人
Touch Diamond, Beta 7(a), CE-Star

I wanted to confirm that I am also seeing bug reported by johnowenschina - there is a repeat definition problem when moving backwards to review old cards on multiple choice flashcard sessions using dictionary remapping.

Also, I am consistently able to hang Pleco under the following scenario:
Start a multiple choice flashcard session (20 cards, Show Definition, Ask For Headword + Pron, dict remapping on or off, Loop incorrect cards at end, show statistics at end)
Answer 3 or 4 flashcards
Exit the flashcard session and choose Yes to save session for later
Leave Pleco (goto the Today screen)
Comeback to Pleco and choose Open Flashcards...
Screen will simply hang and I eventually must return to the Today screen to close Pleco entirely and reopen it.

I have reset preferences to the defaults via the button to make sure no strange settings were interfering. I have also tried deleting the Pleco Saved Flash Session before starting Pleco in case it was for some reason corrupted, but the error seems to occur regardless.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sych - that's odd, I don't think we've had any other reports of this - have you installed HWPen, PenPower, or some other non-Pleco handwriting recognition system on your Treo? Is PlecoDict 1.0 still installed too? Any other software that has something to do with screen input capture, like TealScript?

The Duelist - still not reproducing this here - did you try changing categories in Card Info yet? What happens when you do that? (that'll help to establish if this is a problem with database updates or with the interface)

marsch - on #1, unfortunately to fix this we'd need to add another option for whether or not to ignore traditional characters in imports / duplicate-checks, and we're not adding any more options until after 2.0 is out. Right now it does check for a matching traditional character, since that seems like safer behavior than ignoring them and only checking for simplified matches. (the duplicate-checking algorithm may not be perfect but it's a whole lot better than in 1.0)

Not sure what's going on with #2, we'll take a look at that. #3 you're right, that should be visible regardless - we'll see if there's a way we can squeeze it in with the other checkboxes (otherwise we'll just note in the manual that you have to temporarily switch to rep-spaced to change it). #4 we haven't seen this here but that code was just changed recently so we'll take a look. #5 has already been reported / fixed for the next update. #6 I agree a warning might be nice, but it would be difficult to check for / implement so probably another post-2.0 change.

#7 we haven't actually tested the CME cards with 2.0 yet so we'll try doing so. It sounds, however, like some of the cards in those lists might have matched cards already in your flashcard system, which is why a lot of them aren't coming up with score 100; if you set the duplicate handling in the importer to "allow", that should allow you to bring in all of the CME cards with scores of 100. #8 is indeed a feature suggestion, right now we only support coloring for characters - wouldn't be too difficult to implement it for pinyin, but again it's another new preferences option and hence something we can only consider after 2.0 is out. (there might also be duplicates in those lists, which would explain the missing 45 cards)

bglasow - we just ran into that saved session crash bug the other day, actually; related to the other bug with sessions not saving at all on WM2003 devices. Both should be fixed in the next release.

Eggwind

举人
I thought I had seen this described in an earlier bug posting thread, and kind of assumed it would have been fixed by now, but I have an annoying issue on my Toshiba G900/X01T Windows Mobile phone. The problem existed with the standard WM 6.0 ROM, and continues with the unofficial 6.1 ROM I am now using.

It is difficult to describe it, but when I use full-screen handwriting recognition, the handwriting recognition is very choppy for a short time while the background text is turning gray, and it does not show any of the input until the entire background is gray. The time this takes varies between 0.1 seconds and nearly one second. About 5% of the time it lets me start writing before it has started the background-graying, but then it starts the text graying thing again and it gets choppy. There is seemingly no pattern for how much time it takes, so it's quite annoying. No change of settings makes any difference. Even after a hard reset with all default settings it's still the same. Other than this issue the program is very spiffy, except when switching between landscape and portrait mode.

Is there really no one else who has noticed this issue? Sorry if it has been mentioned; I tried searching but didn't find anything.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, we've noticed this on VGA devices - the gray fade seems to create a large slowdown. Not quite sure what to do with it since the code is essentially just calling a built-in Windows function to do that fade - we'll probably end up using a faster-but-uglier algorithm on VGA screens (like the one we used in 1.0).

What's the issue with landscape/portrait switching? I don't think that's been mentioned before either - Microsoft still hasn't released a simulator for 800x480 screen devices so it's tough for us to test for problems on them ourselves.

Eggwind

举人
Faster-but-uglier sounds great.

Actually, after doing some checking, I think the orientation changing issue was caused by another application.

I apparently did something to make Pleco refuse to look up multiple syllable words in the ABC dictionary though. Will only look up multi-syllable words in Oxford now. Sigh. EDIT: Restarting once didn't fix it. Restarting twice did fix it. Figures. I think I need to switch to a different phone.

Re: Problems Adding Categories To Flashcards

The Duelist said:
The Bulk Category Update Issue Was Repeatable,
But Seems To Have Been Fixed By Copying The Flashcard DB Out & Back In. :?

The 'Toggle Category' Bug &
'Toggle Category ->Tap & Hold' Crash (No Error Message)
Still Occur.
Sorry For The Confusion About My Last Post.

Adding/Deleting Categories Individually Through The Card Info Interface Works (No Problem) :)

Add/Delete Category To Search Results Is Now Also Working :)

However, Both 'Toggle Category' Issues Still Occur. :(

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Eggwind - that's odd; wonder why the second restart might have helped. Perhaps the flash memory card driver had a memory leak or was otherwise screwed up... anyway glad it seems to have improved now.

The Duelist - still no luck on Toggle Category, but we'll take another look at the code and see if that explains anything. Does the tap-and-hold crash happen before the list draws, after it draws but before you tap on a category, or after you tap on a category?

One minor bug related to this: when you first configure the buttons in Display, if you don't select a category from the list next to Toggle Cat (but just leave it on whatever it already is, check it and click Done), it'll be saved out with an invalid category. If you select a category from the list on that screen, then click Done, then start a flaschard session, does the button now work correctly?

weight

举人
If it hasn't gotten a button yet then it must mean that no one is using the flashcards similar to myself - in any given session skipping about 25% of the more difficult cards, picking off the low hanging fruit and then finishing the skipped cards in a second test. Maybe it's because my ADD is more acute than most people's that if I'm slowed down by even a single baffling card, I'm liable to start spacing out. Anyway, I hope that more people will eventually chime in about wanting this.

mikelove said:
Weight- yeah, Skip Card probably should get a button command too.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually looking at this today I realized it does have a button command, it's just called "Remove Card" instead of "Skip Card" confusingly enough - we've now renamed that to "Skip Card" systemwide since that's a much better description of what it does, but if you select "Remove Card" as a button command (not "Delete," "Remove") that command will prevent the card from appearing again in the session without deleting it.

mikelove said:
The Duelist - still no luck on Toggle Category, but we'll take another look at the code and see if that explains anything. Does the tap-and-hold crash happen before the list draws, after it draws but before you tap on a category, or after you tap on a category?

One minor bug related to this: when you first configure the buttons in Display, if you don't select a category from the list next to Toggle Cat (but just leave it on whatever it already is, check it and click Done), it'll be saved out with an invalid category. If you select a category from the list on that screen, then click Done, then start a flaschard session, does the button now work correctly?
Selecting A 'Toggle Category' In The Configuration Screen Fixed The 'Toggle Category' Issue. :)

Toggle Category -> 'Tap & Hold' Crash
This Crashes With A 'Fatal Exception' Reset Popup.

Observations:
Tap & Hold Brings Up The Category List OK.
(Can Scroll List Up/Down OK)
However There Appears To Be A 'Blank' (Invalid???) Category,
That Doesn't Appear In Any Other Popup List.
(I Don't Know Where It Comes From, Or How To Get Rid Of It.)
Attempting To Select A Category Causes A Crash.

gato

状元
Hardware Button Scrolling under Management Flashcards
Can you enable the up/down hardware buttons to scroll between words under "Management Flashcards"? There might be other places where enabling hardware button scrolling would be helpful. This is one of the more obvious places.

Minor Bug Report:
New Flashcard Session: Card Filter
Category Filters Lose Their Category When Deselected.
I Think The Last Category Selected Should Be Saved With The Session Profile.

BTW:
I Was Still Having Issues With The 'Add Category' To Search Results Function.
I Tried It Several Times & It Didn't Work.
The Worst Thing Was, It Corrupted The Flashcard DB, And 'Lost' ALL My Flashcards & Session Profiles. :?

Luckily, I Had A Backup On My SD Card. :)