Beta 7(c) Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any new / not-fixed-yet bugs from Beta 7(c) in this thread. Hoping this will be fairly short but I've been wrong on that before...

Tapcis Palm

I clicked the drop down and selected a word from the history. (Must not be the topmost word)

Click on a character (I chose di3 from 彻底 che4di3, but it fails with all words I've selected), selected "Compounds" tab, then scrolled top window down and selected di3bu4 "bottom", and selected "Go to selected word". All OK so far. It puts the selected word into the entry line and shows dictionary entry (ABC for me).

I then tap the dictionary entry to see other dictionaries version for this word.

At that point, it reverts to the previous word that the dictionary was on, and in my case also erased the entry line, since I was just starting up.

I'd guess that this is also in 7(b), but too lazy to go back and check :)

In the Radical input screen, both of the 阝fù (left) yì (right) characters are the same (positioned on the left side of the "box". Obviously this is minor, but if you have a "right side" version for the yì (right) character, that would be cool.

Is it correct that the yi4 should be first (on the left) and the fu4 should be second in the radical selection screen? Seems confusing to me to pick the "one on the left" for the right side radical.

Tapcis

In the reader, even if I quickly jog the joystick up or down, I still get 2 pages (on screen) of movement. It's not possible to get a single screen (page up/down).

I don't have a problem with the left right (advance word).

The 4 button cursor pad does go up and down by one screen, but I still have to be a bit quick, or it will go by two screens. Strangely, the left/right buttons on the cursor movement pad do not move the word position cursor, they do nothing.

Tapcis

If I highlight an example (I tried this in the definition window below the reader) with a ~ (tilde) character in the middle, the tilde is omitted from the magnified window. So, it is not possible to see the example showing where the word would be inserted. If you cannot show the tilde, perhaps a small ^ caret at the bottom of the line in red, perhaps? I chose "liu4" saunter for my test.

In flashcard advanced settings for General tab, after selecting Repetition-spaced (was frequency), the "Points per day (default 100)" is set to zero. I have never changed this value, so I would have expected it to be 100, the default. I don't know if this is a bug, or an artifact of the betas, etc.

When running flashcard session, in the pop up definition window, click "+" to add a definition, that pop up selection window is still quite small (landscape mode),

Several of my cards (imported during 7(b) have definitions pulled from the chinese-chinese dictionary, even though I have ABC set as the first one to match against, and the words ARE found in the ABC. Example "che4di3".

I just noticed this when trying out edit function from Card Info screen.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - the compounds-selection issue is related to the same problem you mentioned before; unfortunately it's kind of tough for us to work around this by copying the selected word to the Input Field automatically, but if you just tap Copy to Input before switching dictionaries you should be able to find the word in other dictionaries that way. We'll take one more look and see if there's an easier way to get that headword copied to the input field but I'm hesitant to do anything else that might possibly introduce new bugs at this point (particularly after already doing several such things in b7c).

The other 阝isn't supported by our fonts, though it will be in 2.1 thanks to the new generate-a-character-rendering-on-the-fly system we're adding for that. (which will also be used to dramatically improve the radical system in other ways) The ordering is actually correct, the original character that the on-the-right version represents (邑) has one less stroke than the on-the-left version (阜) so they appear in that order (though farther apart) in Kangxi as well.

Not sure about that joystick bounce, we'll take another look though it may unfortunately be another weird Tapwave-specific button thing. (pity they didn't stay in business, I like the basic design of their systems much better than the TX/T5 et al) I'll see if we can do anything about adding tildes and other punctuation to font96.

The default points-per-day problem is probably left over from an earlier beta - for a while it was possible for flashcard settings screens to save out settings from hidden / uninitialized fields and checkboxes and that's probably when that setting got changed to 0. Good point about the Add to Flash button, that should be as big as the other ones. I just tried importing che4di3 here and it seemed to match the ABC fine - any chance the ABC might have been temporarily uninstalled / moved down in the list? How was that import word formatted - traditional, simplified, or both, with or without Pinyin, Pinyin with tone marks or numbers, XML or text, UTF-8 or something else?

Mike: I have emailed you my import text file, as well as backups of the flashcard database, and an export of the category. It seems to me that export is messed up, since it exported several words as chinese only when they are in mixed English/Chinese on my flashcards.

ipsi

状元
The crash with looping cards seems to have disappeared, which is good to see :).

Minor consistency bug: When you finish a resumed flashcard session, it will return to the main screen rather than to the flashcard menu like it would if you'd finished a regular session. Not sure if that's what you intended or not.

Tapcis

Fatal Alert (crash) Fatal Exception 10
8000003F 20051F03
2005203E C175D53C

I was on the import flashcard screen, and I just left it there for several minutes (forgot about it) while working on my computer.

Unit was plugged into power with setting of "always on", so am not sure what caused it.

Mator

秀才
Hey Mike,
1. Going along with stephanhodges suggestion,
When running flashcard session, in the pop up definition window, click "+" to add a definition, that pop up selection window is still quite small (landscape mode),
the pop up selection window in manage categories/default category is also still quite small. The others are great and also the new default category highlight is helpful.

2. Not a serious problem, but if it's easy to fix it has been annoying to me several times: In the same popup windows as above, when I scroll quickly through the lists using the up or down arrows, if I don't stop tapping before the last category (when the arrow disappears) it will select the last one and close the window. So if I'm saving a flashcard I have to go into manage flashcards and find the card and then remove it from that category (太麻烦). If the windows are bigger maybe you could just put a regular scroll bar in or just make the spot where the arrow was a dead spot.

3. In flashcard session, the am/pm of the clock is still cut off by other info (just doesn't look finished)

The Duelist said:
Crash Report:
Flashcard Session
Test Type: Review Only
Show: Any Option With 'Audio'

If I Tap/Click-Button Past The Last Card Quickly,
ie Before The Hanzi Has Finished Reading.
PD2 Crashes.

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b7(b)

Re-Tested.
The 'Fix' For This Has Caused Audio To Stop Working In Both The Dictionary & Flashcards.
ie After Advancing Past The End Of The Session.

Also: PD2b7(c) Is Still Incompatible With HWPen. (Crashes) :(

Software: PD2b7(c)

The Duelist said:
Crash Report:
Input Panel
If The Input Panel Is Open (Hidden),
When I Try To Enter A Number In A Blank Search Field PD2 Crashes.
This Occurs For All Input Types: Hanzi/Radical/Pinyin ...
ReTested, Issue Still Exists.
(Not Sure Which Reported Bugs Have/Haven't Been Addressed. :? )

The Duelist said:
Minor Bug Report:
Radical Input
When I Clear The Radical Box, Then Tap It Again,
The Previous Radical Reappears,
But Doesn't Re-Display The Hanzi For That Radical In The Selection Box.

mikelove said:
I'm not seeing the radical bug, though - what do you mean by "clear the radical box"? Do you tap on it to select a radical, then tap on it to cancel? Because that seems to be updating correctly here.
I Mean Re-Tap The 'Square' Radical Box After It Has Cleared.
On The Second Tap The 'Cleared' Radical Reappears,
But The Box That Displays The Hanzi to Select, Doesn't Filter/Redisplay Hanzi For That Radical.
(The 'Initial' Radical Selections Are Displayed)
ReTested, Issue Still Exists.
PD1 Has The Behaviour I Was Expecting To See In The Radical Input Panel.

Software: PD2b7(c)

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

For my flashcard display problem this version is way worse ... sorry! Actually unusable. I think I will switch back

In free-answering mode the old answer now covers the new entry box so that you can input some new answer but you cannot see what you wrote or only partially ...

best regards
Daniel

caesartg

榜眼
With 'Review incorrect cards at end' checked, when I want to quit a flashcard session half-way through, if I got any card wrong, it will then still try to retest me and I have to again select quit. Not sure if this is by design but I like the feature of reviewing incorrect cards at the end but when I want to quit, I want to quit not be asked twice. Maybe there's the possibility that people would want to end early and review missed cards but for me it's an irritant.

The male 'jin3' single character vocalisation booms slightly compared to the other ones and seems out of place.

I've ended up using only the male voice simply because it has much greater clarity than the female's. The female's recordings need some more post-processing I reckon to bring it up to the same standard.

Very impressed with the Flashcard management tools - I had an idea of some things I wanted to do with a batch of FCs but thought no way would you have provided the means to do them. However, you did.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - exporting some cards as Chinese-only is normal, actually, it can't export definitions for licensed / encrypted dictionaries. You can enable the "Remap" option in the export screen to try to fill those cards in with definitions from free dictionaries, though. I saw that crash exiting the software on a Tapwave once here too - not sure what's going on there.

ipsi - glad that looping bug is fixed. And it actually is supposed to return to the flashcard menu, it does it on WM but it looks like that isn't working correctly on Palm.

Mator - right on #1, we should make them all that long. #2 unfortunately would be really tricky to fix, it's a longstanding Palm OS interface quirk that popup lists behave that way. #3 unfortunately because of the way our screen layout code works it would be nearly impossible to automatically resize the top fields to make sure longer ones get extra width, so we're leaving that bug in too at least for now - it's only an issue on Palm OS Treos, actually, on other devices there seems to be enough room.

The Duelist - just found/fixed that audio problem, thanks! With HWPen, we unfortunately weren't able to do anything to stop it from crashing except to turn off handwriting recognition altogether, and since I imagine you'd rather not have Pleco refuse to activate its handwriting recognizer whenever it detects that HWPen is installed I think the best bet is for us to leave things as-is but put a note about HWPen in the knowledge base / other places where people might look if they encounter problems.

Finally managed to reproduce the radical input bug when I realized you were referring to the panel version rather than the separate Input screen - that's fixed now also. With the number entry problem, I'm still not seeing that here - could you give me the *exact* steps you use to reproduce this? Are you entering the number using the keyboard or Graffiti? If Graffiti, is it in the onscreen Graffiti area or are you using the write-anywhere-on-the-screen option? Which settings in the Query and Input sections of Preferences have you changed from their defaults? Is HWPen running?

daniu - eek, right, that is bad - found/fixed that problem now, sorry our regression testing missed it. Have you had any other flashcard display problems aside from answer boxes covering each other up in Free-answer?

caesartg - we deliberately added the repeat-incorrect prompt there, actually, per a couple of user requests, but it was actually only supposed to come up if you canceled in the middle of an Endless session - however, now that it's been working the other way for a while I imagine if we change it there'll be half a dozen posts from people who really liked being able to review incorrect cards when they cancel in the middle of a repetition-spaced / 200-card / etc session and are upset that we took that option away, so I think we're going to have to leave it as-is. (but all of you review-incorrect fans can feel free to chime in here, it'd take all of 5 seconds to make that change if nobody objects)

I agree the male audio sounds a lot better, I've toyed with the idea of making that the default instead of "alternate" but don't want to be accused of male chauvinism :) Glad the flashcard management is working well for you, one of the biggest advantages of the SQLite switch is that we can easily do a lot more of that powerful whole-database-spanning stuff.

mikelove said:
The Duelist With the number entry problem, I'm still not seeing that here - could you give me the *exact* steps you use to reproduce this? Are you entering the number using the keyboard or Graffiti? If Graffiti, is it in the onscreen Graffiti area or are you using the write-anywhere-on-the-screen option? Which settings in the Query and Input sections of Preferences have you changed from their defaults? Is HWPen running?
I Have The Onscreen Graffitti Panel Open.
Writing A Number (RHS) Causes The Crash.

Query Prefs:
Auto Detect Search Language
Clear Input Field On Lang Switch

Input Prefs:
Auto Enter Best HWR Match

BTW: I Really Like Being Re-Tested On Incorrect Flashcards When I Terminate A Session 'Early'.
I Have All My Profiles Set To Show 'All' Cards, But Rarely Get Through Them All In A Single Session.
Now Zhuangyuan :)

Hi Mike

The Hide HWR On Small Screen Now Works. :)

Just Wondering If This Could Be Tweaked A Little?
Would It Be Possible To Allow The 'Minimized HWR', ie Write 'Anywhere',
To Be Still Available On Small Screen? (As In PD1)
This Allows An Option To Enter Both Pinyin & Hanzi Without Closing The Grafitti Panel.

TIA
The Duelist