Beta 7(c) Bug Report Thread

goog1e

举人
mikelove said:
KesterN - success! Thanks for the extra info - it turned out that there was a bug which could sometimes cause the dictionary to mis-calculate the position of the character you tapped on by one. The reason that resulted in a 耘 is that the character code for 耘 is 8018, which the software was using internally to specify the font size for the headword (18 in decimal is 24, which gets automatically doubled to 48 on a high-resolution Palm, matching the font48 magnified font file) - normally that code would be invisible but because the position was off it was reading the code and interpreting it as a regular character. Anyway, we've straightened it out now and in the process also fixed a related bug that could cause tapping on characters to not work if you tap on a character that's right next to an already-selected character. (耀 as reported by andreas.koenig is code 8000, which would also come up as a hidden character code, and goog1e's 耜 is code 801c = 28, which I assume is the font size he's using for headwords)

Good stuff! I look forward to testing the next version. Quite often I'm unable to highlight and tap-hold a headword to look it up (default stylus options) cleanly. The character becomes unhighlighted when I try and tap and I have to fiddle around with the highlighting which was originally how I started seeing my transformation in the first place. I'm wondering if that related bug you found will make the whole highlight process work more smoothly.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daniu - yeah, the manual's going to make a lot of those scoring questions clearer. The 1/2/3/4/5/6 are mostly used to make it easy for SuperMemo users to get accustomed to our system, since they use the same scoring - also seem like a logical number of choices, fewer (1/2/3/4) would do less good optimization-wise while more (1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8) would start to get confusing.

You can't actually mark the card as correct if Pleco scores it as incorrect, but you can keep it from recording that score by using the Skip Card button or the Score Change button. (with Score Change, the change from that will be applied instead, so you could for example set that button to increase the score by 50% and then tap on that if the card was marked incorrect but was actually correct)

The 7a/b/c moniker is because we don't want to go to the trouble of packaging up all of the data files / installers / etc every time there's a minor update - better to update just the application and have people install that after installing the beta that it goes with. Once we do update all of that stuff again that will be what we call Beta 8.

stephanhodges - OK, thanks, though at this point I think we may have to live with a few intermittent crashing bugs in 2.0.

goog1e - hopefully it'll help at least a little, though you might also want to try recalibrating your handheld's display just in case that's starting to drift.

radioman

状元
The tone color removal fixed the problem with the popup definitions. I would like to get the colors back, but the popup functionality is more important to me right now. Many thanks.

anchan42 said:
The Duelist said:
radioman said:
If I am in a flashcard session, and I flip the card and am looking at the headword and the definition. I want to be able to highlight the headword in whole or in part and have it bring up the definition in a pop-up menu. Right now, for example, if I have "pengyou" up and highlight "pengyou" in the headword and then bring up a pop-up definition, it would just bring up "peng". The reason I want to do this is because there are times (more than a few) that I want to look at alternate definitions (e.g., Tuttle) for additional information on the displayed flashcard. Right now the program only gives the first character of the highlighted headword. Within the definition section, it will look the full word.
mikelove said:
radioman - I'm not seeing this popup definition problem here - how exactly have you configured your Stylus Actions settings? Perhaps something else is triggering on just the one character.
I'm Also Seeing This Issue On My Palm T5.

I'm Using:
Highlight Headword (2+ Characters) -> Tap & Hold (Menu): Pop-Up Defn

I have got the same problem with my Treo 680. The problem is gone when I turn off the tone coloring.
Another problem I have with pop up definition is that I cannot change the dictionary. It always calls up OX definition for Chinese to English. I can change the dictionary just fine for English to Chinese.