Beta 7(d) Bug Report Thread

kkuguru

秀才
Mike,

7(d), did not seem to fix the issue I most recently mentioned on the 7(b) thread. On my WM, I can not use the up/down nav buttons to control the query history drop down menu. (I don't think it needs to bring down the drop box, but once the box drops from a screen tap, the up/down nav button should then work to scroll the history).

Thx,

K.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, looks like there's a bug with that on some devices - should work correctly in B8 though.

Palm Tapcis
The crash I reported on 7(c) is still there, and is much easier to reproduce than I made it sound. I did read your comment about possibly deferring a fix for this.

Landscape mode (not sure if that's important)

Just click on "send to reader" for any entry. Then immediately try and resize the bottom dictionary window. It resets immediately.

Reader Settings:
Text Encoding UTF-8
Show Highlight Bar
All others unchecked.

feryl

On my Treo 680 selecting the value of "Dict/Preferences.../Toolbar/Search Bar" more than 8 would reset it. I had to delete and reinstall.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - found/fixed, thanks. We're certainly planning to fix all of the crashing bugs we can reproduce, it's just the nebulous once-when-I-did-this-it-crashed-but-it-doesn't-crash-now-when-I-do-the-same-thing type bugs we may be willing to let slide.

feryl - also found/fixed, thanks - that setting was actually only supposed to go as high as 8 on Palm. (it goes to 10 on Windows Mobile because of the extra-long 800x480 displays on some Windows Mobile phones)

Shadowdh

状元
Hi Mike, first off I have now switched fully from Pleco 1 to Pleco 2 as my main tool and so far its pretty awesome. Love the audio and its all coming together, I didnt use the 7c release as the 7b was working fine for me and I didnt have much time to play or be of much help to you and the others, this one is so far looking great too, but I do have one little glitch in that when I have characters in the look up bar at the top of the definition window (sorry my terminology sucks) I used to be able to highlight say 2 out of 4 characters and then just delete those two, in this version I highlight the two characters and all 4 get deleted... I like the functionality of being able to delete just some of the characters to bring up different definitions or carry on with other things. Any idea of what this might be?

Using a Kaiser/HTC TyTN II/MDA Vario III with Windows mobile 6.1

Shadowdh

状元
Also when I go into preferences and then go into change the display settings, in particular the font rendering mode, I change it from one rendering mode to another it then changes the choose panel to another section, in this case I changed it from gray to win gray it changes to the results panel... and it seems that each rendering mode switches to the corresponding panel ie mono is display, gray - query etc...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yikes, I'm seeing that preferences bug too - sloppy programming there, sorry about that. It'll definitely be fixed in b8. (for anyone else dealing with this bug, the setting will still be saved after you select a new one, you'll just be taken to another Preferences screen immediately after it does - you can go back to the other screen to verify that new setting)

I'm seeing the other problem too, relates to something we did to make multi-line editable fields a bit more stable - should be easy enough to fix, though. (technically it would probably be better if clear always cleared the whole thing and the newly-added backspace toolbar command was what you used to clear just part of it, but since everybody's used to clear clearing the selected text in 1.0 it's probably not a good idea to change it)

feryl

"Add/Edit Custom Entry..." :

Custom user dict entry supposed to stay locked unless you hit the "unlock" button. Simply tap the screen will unlocked it/enabled editing. I actually like it because it save me a couple taps. Unlocking/editing custom entry now seems much more stable, no crash. Great job Mike!

Device: Treo 680

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
hairyleprechaun - that's odd, are you sure you're using b7d? (check the about box) That bug should have affected pretty much any WM system, it wasn't dependent on anything platform-specific.

feryl - I'm glad to hear it's working more reliably, but I'm a bit concerned about the change to Unlock - what do you mean by "tap on the screen" - where are you tapping? Do the existing fields become editable or does a brand new blank entry come up? Is there any warning message first or do the fields just become editable? Are you able to edit all of the fields or just some of them? Do the changes actually appear in the database? The database system won't allow an existing entry to have its headword / Pinyin edited, the only thing it can do is delete the old entry and create a new one, so it sounds like either it's doing that without putting up the Unlock prompt first (which would be a bug, though not too serious of one I guess) or it's not actually saving changes to anything but the definition.

Tapcis Palm

When using TWO external cards at the same time, in Plecomover, the option to backup to "SD Card" is ambiguous. Which card will it back up to? Also, is that ACTUALLY the "Internal (Card)" spot? (That's perhaps a second ambiguity, along with my post in the suggestion thread).

Hello Mike,

OK. I am now also experiencing the issue with the preferences jumping to the next section when changing the font rendering mode. I ended up finding that I was still using beta 7(a), though I had previously installed 7(b), 7(c) and 7(d). Apparently, when I pasted the newer versions into the program files folder within the windows start menu they were not overwriting the older version because I had used the "menus" application under settings to add Pleco directly to my start menu. By doing this, WM apparently just moved that particular version of Pleco (beta 7(a)) out of the program files folder and up one folder into the start menu itself. Therefore the subsequent versions of pleco I thought I had installed had never actually replaced it! Sorry about the false report!

feryl

Dear Mike,

It happened on the "Add/Edit Custom Entry" screen. I have a lot of custom user dict entries, here's what I usually do to edit one of them:
1. Select the existing entry
2. Select from the menu: "Modules" , "Add/Edit Custom Entry..." or simply press the shortcut "Menu - a"
3. Now the "Add/Edit Custom Entry " screen appears with my existing custom definition :
Simp: xxx
Trad: xxx
Pron: xxx
Defn: xxx
4. Tap screen anywhere on the "Defn" field area, then the "Defn" field would be editable with no warning, but not the other field (Simp, Trad, Pron). The changes definitely appear in the database.

You're right Mike, only the Defn field is editable without unlock warning. On second thought I realize perhaps it was designed that way, not a bug at all. It allows quick change to definition only. I like it that way.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - it should go to the first slot, unless there's no card inserted in which case it will go the second. Since the Zodiac is I believe the only multi-card-slot Palm that can actually run Pleco 2.0 I don't know if we can justify adding a separate interface for multiple SD cards, but if you check the first card after tapping that backup button you should see the file there. And no, the main PlecoMover screen does not ever back up to internal flash memory (hidden or the visible one on a T5) - there's not really any point to backing up a file to there since it doesn't get backed up on a HotSync and won't be retained if your handheld is reset. You can back up to those places through the Advanced screen, though.

hairyleprechaun - OK, makes sense. You should see quite a lot of improvements in that case :) The preferences issue should be fixed very soon.

feryl - thanks for clarifying - that's a relief, I was worried it was letting you edit any field. The definition isn't supposed to be locked anymore, actually, it should be freely editable without using the unlock button; locking only applies to an entry's headword and Pinyin. So it sounds like it's working fine.

ipsi

状元
Here's a concerning one:

I've recently updated my NPCR Flashcard set to include Book 4, and fix a number of errors. I decided that the best thing to do would be to delete and then re-import my flashcard collection. All worked well (though it was quite slow importing, at least at first). Then it finished, and I figured I'd make sure it worked, so opened up Manage Flashcards screen. Checked the cards, and everything was good. Cool. But I couldn't exit that screen. I don't know why, but it ignored my hitting the 'OK' hard button, the 'ok' button in the top-right of the screen, or indeed any of the hard buttons. I could still turn the screen on/off by holding the red 'hang-up' button on my Pro, or hitting the power-off button on top. I could also get to the Batch Mode screen, but again, couldn't leave it.

Soft-reset the device, and now all is good.

Also, I can't change scoring away from Automatic. The combo box flashes briefly, but I can't touch anything in it. :(

ipsi

状元
When there is no text selected in the reader, the right five-way button will select the first character, as expected. However, the left five-way will select the second-to-last character on the page, not the last as would be expected. If the second-to-last is a punctuation mark (e.g. 。), it will instead select the third-to-last character. It will only select the last character if it would form a word when combined with the second-to-last character.

Also, I think this is a problem with the WM File Browser, but it only looks one level deep on the SD card - I'd like to be able to separate the various texts I have into subdirectories to keep them organised, but it seems I can't do that. (e.g. I would like Chinese/Lu Xun, but it would find any files that deep - I must store them in Chinese/).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The hanging Manage Flashcards screen was probably a crash - Windows Mobile's error reporting system is less than stellar, so while crashes are less likely to bring down the whole system (you can usually end a frozen program through the Running Programs tab of the Memory settings panel without having to soft reset) they'll sometimes happen without you knowing about it; probably the code that was responsible for saving / cleaning up the Manage Flashcards screen ran into a problem somewhere and silently died without cleaning up the screen.

You should be able to change the scoring if you use a stylus instead of the direction pad - we're still working on getting hardware button control working reliably for those (the new preferences-panel-switches-whenever-you-change-a-setting-with-a-popup-list bug is related to those efforts).

I'm not sure what's going on there with reader text selection - we can take a look at that, but since the cure could end up being worse than the disease (e.g. if it causes it to sometimes scroll to the next page) it may get left as-is for now. The SD card directory crawling is indeed a platform-wide WM issue - I haven't actually seen one of these, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone had come up with a hack / system extension for WM that gives you a better file open box.

ipsi

状元
Ahhh. That would explain it. I have had one or two program crashes, but they haven't brought down the system, which is very good. :D. One of them was launching Pleco, removing the Micro SD Card, then forgetting that and trying to change dictionaries in Pleco...

Nope, I can't change the scoring mode at all. I get the same behaviour regardless of whether I use the 5-way keys or the Stylus.

Fair enough. I don't see it being a particularly major issue at any rate. Also, having a file browser is a better situation than on Palm, so I'm happy for that at least :).