Beta 8 / Release Candidate 1 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any bugs found in B8 here, though bugs of the minor / graphical-glitch variety may not be fixed until 2.0.1.

ipsi

状元
"Scoring Type" still doesn't work properly. Every other modal box I've tried works just fine, but not that one. I can select Manual Scoring instead of automatic by tapping the box with the stylus and then tapping down on the five-way very quickly.

Also, when it I tap it, it doesn't seem to redraw the part of the screen below it correctly when it's gone. Even changing tabs doesn't bring it back. Have to close/re-open Advanced Settings.

EDIT: The combobox works fine when I change it to anything other than Automatic...

Brand-new bug: When I have selected 'Append Dictionary name to Definition" in Preferences/Display, it appends Tuttle's full name to *all* of my Custom Flashcards. It disappears when unchecked. I have *no* cards tied to a dictionary, so I've got no idea why it's doing that. Definitely wasn't there in 7D. It also only appends Tuttle's name, regardless of which dictionary I have open. It doesn't make it part of the definition, and if I uncheck the above preference, it goes away. Still a bit of a pain.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Must be something to do with the slider control, then - that's the only interesting change in the form between Manual and Automated. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Palm had done some sort of weird hack on slider controls... anyway I'm e-mailing you a test version with the slider changed to a popup list, let me know if this fixes it. (also fixed that append name issue - was fixing a bug that prevented that from showing up in user dictionaries at all and accidentally put it in the code that renders all entries from SQL databases rather than the custom-dictionary-specific code)

donneh

Really sorry if I'm reporting something that I'm obviously doing wrong here (first go at installing any beta here), but downloading the full WM, the install prgram crashes when I get to the screen to select the install location on the PDA.

I'm not sure how to provide more information but I can reproduce the crash each time:
Hardware:
EEE Laptop running windows XP connected to my
HP iPAQ 114 running WM6 (not 6.1) through MS ActiveSynch

I run pc2b8.exe, select the "all" installation, and everything extracts when the screen to select the install location appears. I have the "\: 176954 KB available" and "Storage slot: 1959680 KB available" (nearly 2 gig).

If I click on storage slot option it all crashes and windows asks me to send an error report to them.
If I don't click on anything but switch applications (for example I left it extracting in the background while typing this message, went back to it, clicked on nothing but then came back to my browser and it crashes as soon as the window loses focus.

Here are some things I copy/pasted from the error report
Code:
AppName: pc2b8.exe	 AppVer: 0.0.0.0	 ModName: msctfime.ime
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512	 Offset: 00004f10
This is what I think is the relevant part copied from drwtsn32.log
Code:
*----> State Dump for Thread Id 0xed0 <----*

eax=00171d80 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=00150608 esi=0012eed8 edi=0015bcb8
eip=755c4f10 esp=0012eeb4 ebp=0012eebc iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz na pe nc
cs=001b  ss=0023  ds=0023  es=0023  fs=003b  gs=0000             efl=00000202

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctfime.ime - 
function: msctfime
        755c4ef9 ec               in      al,dx
        755c4efa 8b4508           mov     eax,[ebp+0x8]
        755c4efd 85c0             test    eax,eax
        755c4eff 56               push    esi
        755c4f00 8bf1             mov     esi,ecx
        755c4f02 894604           mov     [esi+0x4],eax
        755c4f05 c70654145c75     mov     dword ptr [esi],0x755c1454
        755c4f0b 7406             jz      msctfime+0x4f13 (755c4f13)
        755c4f0d 8b08             mov     ecx,[eax]
        755c4f0f 50               push    eax
FAULT ->755c4f10 ff5104           call  dword ptr [ecx+0x4] ds:0023:00000004=????????
        755c4f13 8bc6             mov     eax,esi
        755c4f15 5e               pop     esi
        755c4f16 5d               pop     ebp
        755c4f17 c20400           ret     0x4
        755c4f1a cc               int     3
        755c4f1b cc               int     3
        755c4f1c cc               int     3
        755c4f1d cc               int     3
        755c4f1e cc               int     3
        755c4f1f 8bff             mov     edi,edi

*----> Stack Back Trace <----*

The next things I will try are:
a) Freeing more space up on my C drive - I noticed pleco auto extracts to C:\program files\pleco but I have no idea if it checks if there is enough space to do so... My EEE only has about 480MB free when I begin the install so that could be one problem if it needs more than that
b) Updating to WM6.1
c) Trying the manual install, although I guess this will avoid the problem not solve it.

ipsi

状元
EDIT: Ack, sorry, that 500 MB figure includes the extended audio files plus the female audio from the previous beta. Still might be worth trying the below...

Try a smaller install. I recall the full install taking up over 500 MB on my card, so that could be the problem. Go for the basic install first. If that works, it would probably be sensible to install the rest manually, or, assuming Pleco only extracts the files it needs, install them one-by-one, deleting each dictionary after it's installed, or try Audio first then dictionaries, or something like that.

donneh

Smaller install didn't help, and it appears that I can't upgrade to WM6.1 with this iPAQ. I'll try downloading the manual install although I suspect the problem is with the automatic installer rather than plecodict2 itself so am guessing a manual install will work.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
donneh - what language is your EEE localized in? If you download the pcunlocker.exe utility (referenced in the B8 announcement post) and use that to copy your keyfile over to your PDA, does that crash too or is it only pc2b8.exe that crashes? Does it crash when you install to internal memory instead of the card?

Bug Report: Multiple Choice Flashcard Sessions
ABC Dictionary Flashcards

Bug 1:
Test Type: Multiple-Choice
Show: Definition
Ask For: Head-Word + Pron

Flashcard Question Shows 'INVALID" Where Pinyin Should Not Appear

Bug 2:
Test Type: Multiple-Choice
Show: Headword
Ask For: Definition

Flashcard Answers Show 'INVALID" In Front Of EVERY Answer Option.

Tried 2 Things:
Batch Remap All Flashcards To ABC Dictionary.
Backout To Beta7 ABC Dictionary

Problem Still Exists, So I Think There May Be A PD2b8 Software Problem.

Performed Complete PD2b8 'Clean' Install
inc Dictionaries/Audio Files
Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b8

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yikes, yeah, I'm seeing that too - thanks for noticing that, result of an ill-advised workaround for the problem of people accidentally making blank / invisible user dictionary entries. (I could have sworn I did a multiple-choice definition test just yesterday that didn't have that problem, but now it's there clear as day). This is why we do so many betas :)

You are making awesome progress Mike. If ever you are unsure of your progress just remember to look up Trillian Astra's time line once in a while.

Darrol

Hello Mike,

I can confirm that pcunlock.exe works fine with my system. (Sony Vaio Laptop running XP SP3).

I am still having issues with the "Hide: Input on small screen" though. When I tap on the popup keyboard/transcriber/letter recognizer/pen power/etc... the input palette which I have set to the bottom of the screen does not disappear as it used to.

I checked under "About" and it says that I am using Version 2.0b8(a) as it should since I did a complete uninstall of 2.0b7(d) before this install.

Darrol

donneh

My EEE is localised in English (United Kingdom), I also have the Chinese PRC IME installed, but not 'enabled' when installing pleco.

Its a weird problem as the crash doesn't appear to be instant all of the time. When I get to the select installation path today I had a few seconds before getting the same error, trying again it was instant. Note that the crash occours BEFORE I click 'next' to actually install to that location, it happens when the screen for selection comes up.

Re your suggestions:
Installing onto the memory card - I had to be quick, but it worked! I held down enter so not give any time over to a possible crash and went straight onto the copying screen. With my new found faith I uninstalled so that I could check if an 'all' install would now work but it didn't.

The uninstall revealed two minor bugs which you might want to note for 2.1 or something...
1) Uninstalling pleco didn't remove the pleco converter tool from my PDA (not sure if this is intentional or not).
2) The final uninstall screen says something like "Pleco has successfully been installed" :)

Running the pleco unlock program works as far as I can run it. Becuase I can't install pleco (apart from that one time I mentioned) I can't get to my new system ID to get a pleco2 key emailed to me...so I have nothing to convert.

If there are any error files generated which you want me to look for I can try too. Sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter!

I'm seeing the same behaviour as donneh except I'm running on Windows Vista Home Premium and WM5

This is also my first time running the installer. It crashes at the same point donneh mentions. However, the second time I tried to install it did the same but crashed slightly earlier giving the message:

Could not load: C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\nsw7D69.tmp\nsDialogs.dll

By this point the heading of the window has already changed to "Choose Card", but the rest of the window is still showing the progress bar for the previous screen (copying files across, I suppose)!

It seems that each time I run it, it says it can't load some file in the temp folder. That file is often different from one run to the next. When I check using explorer, the file does exist, so maybe something has some kind of lock on it?

I've run the installer about 10 times so far. One time it succeeded when I selected just the Pleco Engine. A second time I tried with the same selection, crashed, however.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
hairyleprechaun - thanks! With the hide input feature, is the input palette in question the fullscreen handwriting recognizer one? We actually excluded that from this feature in 2.0 since it takes up so little screen space.

donneh - hmm... well the disk space might have something to do with it, I guess; it would explain something happening after the screen's already come up, since Windows might be doing something in the background. Though that error message you mentioned actually involves the text input system so I'm not sure what that would have to do with it... So installing just some small portion of the system, Engine say, doesn't make any difference?

westmeadboy - how's your system doing in terms of disk space? Could also be a Vista-specific issue in your case - can you try running it with less aggressive security settings?

ipsi

状元
I'll give it a shot when I get home from my Windows install (XP SP 3, 30GB of free space or so), so if it explodes there something more fundamental is wrong...

donneh

Freeing up more space on my C: drive (to about 700 meg) hasn't made much difference, similarly just installing the engine doesn't help. I've just done a manual install to the card which has worked however! Also the pcunlock.exe worked with no problems.

Vista has 20-something GB free
WM5 - 31MB free device memory, 720MB free storage memory

How do I run with less security? I've tried running in WinXP SP2 and Win2000 compatibility modes but no luck there.

I tried that thing donneh mentioned about clicking on "next" really quick and it worked to some extent. The crash happened much later - during the Copy ZYSong font.

However, normally the crash happens before the Next button appears, so I have to run it several times to even try this out.

Also, its important to note that the crashing seems to be happening at a different point in the progress bar, each time. Maybe I'm wrong, but this doesnt sound so much of a security issue, as a race condition.

Hello Mike,

Yes, it is the single line "fullscreen handwriting palette". Well, I guess that means there isn't a bug with it since it was not intended to hide itself in the first place. Interestingly enough, back in beta 7(a) it would hide for me, and, I quite liked the feature since it gave me more screen real estate when using my other keyboards/input methods.

Darrol

Shadowdh

状元
Not sure if this is a bug but when I installed Pleco 2b8 I completely deleted all my folders with Pleco 2 from my HTC and then when I manually installed everything again (including the Chinese reading I had in the folders I deleted as I forgot to save those... sigh) I didnt need to re input my key... it just gave me access to everything with no demo appearing in the definitions side of the screen... apart from that its running well now (touch wood) and all the little bugs I noticed in the previous edition are fixed...