Beta 8 / Release Candidate 1 Bug Report Thread

My impression is that things are a bit faster (Tapcis, Palm). The male voice is noticeably clearer on the one word I checked (multiple syllables). I left in the old female voice files.

I didn't see any "reader" files in the install anywhere. I downloaded the complete Palm install. I think it should include a couple.

kiwi123

I get a "Sorry your handheld is not compatible with Pleco" when I run pcb8.exe.

My setup is Win XP SP3, Palm Tungsten E2.

I installed Palm Desktop 6.2 but it doesn't make a difference.
Also, when I ran beta 7 I kept getting crashes - hopefully RC1 will be better (once I can install it)

Please help!!!

Alan

ipsi

状元
I think the installer is for Windows Mobile only? You'll probably need to install it manually, either by copying the files over via Palm Desktop (very slow!), or using an SD Card reader, or by installing a piece of software called Card Export or Card Reader (they're different, but they both let you copy files directly to/from your card), and follow the instructions for a manual install. Check the install instructions in the download thread.

I haven't posted in a while since I've been using Beta 7 (original) for several weeks without any stability or usability issues. For normal usage (looking up words and doing flashcard repetitions) it's working great.

I upgraded to beta 8(a) and started messing with things I found the following:

Reproducible Crash when magnifying 鬱

For the character 鬱 (yu4) tapping it to bring up the magnify window results in an empty magnify character box. Leaving this box by tapping somewhere on the screen and then trying to re-magnify the character results in a crash 100% of the time.

Also, the character 枘 (rui4) in zuo4rui4 gives me the same empty box error, but it does NOT cause a crash. Maybe because of the difference in character complexity?

I have my stylus actions set to:
tap char: magnify
select text: none
tap select: popup defn
tap-hold: menu

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
donneh / westmeadboy - take a look at the new experimental installer I just posted; made everything much simpler by taking NSIS (and its temporary directory / half-dozen DLLs / etc) out of the equation, so hopefully whatever was causing problems before is now gone.

hairyleprechaun - well we probably should have provide a preferences option for that, yeah - I'll make a note to try adding one in 2.0.1, should just be a matter of adding one extra item to that popup list ("All Input") so we wouldn't even need to find space for a new checkbox

Shadowdh - that's normal, the unlocking stuff is stored in the system registry so it wouldn't go away when you deleted the Pleco folders. Glad to hear it's working well.

stephanhodges - yeah, it might make sense to add some documents for people to try out - probably should have a few flashcard files too.

kiwi123 - yes, as ipsi says the installer is WM-only; unfortunately it's not possible for us to create an automated Palm installer anymore, the system we were using before doesn't really work very well with a package as large as PD2, and writing our own custom installer as we do on WM wouldn't work on Palm because the interface Palm provides for third-party applications to install software doesn't work correctly with files larger than 10 MB.

llammamama - that's odd, it seems to work fine here; what type / model of handheld are you using again?

Great! I am glad I brought it to your attention.

I will look forward to a later version of Pleco (hopefully 2.0.1) having the ability to hide the single line fullscreen input palette when using my other input methods.

I'm using an Axim X50v with windows 2003SE. I've also got a Japanese OS installed, if that makes any difference. Oh, and I have also added a few font-link registry entries (UI Gothic > ZYSong) in order to get ZYSong to show up elsewhere on my device.

Also, is it worth it for me to try exporting my flashcards and then re-importing them into a new "fresh" database? I can imagine some sort of earlier beta bugs creeping into my database file and screwing up things later.

Shadowdh

状元
Ok Mike thanks for letting me know... its very useful and saves the hassle of re installing the keyfile when I re do my ROM or have to hard reset for any reason (not that I have on this phone yet... very stable... uh touch wood of course)...

So far I have played around with it and apart from having to learn how everything works/where to find it all its been simply awesome... I did think the magnify app wasnt working but then realised you need to highlight the characters and it then would magnify, on P1 it would magnify the headword when you click on the button... (this is the correct use in P2 isnt it? perhaps I am not setting something up right if not) the reader, flashcard and pop up definition are all working well for me and the bookmark system in the reader is great... those left in my class at Uni have all bought those besta or bubugao dictionaries in China (against my advice I might add) and they all report problems with character recognition from time to time while I am happy (and if I was honest a little bit smug) to tell them Pleco has not problems and even recognises characters I write a bit sloppy...

kiwi123

re my earlier post - dohh! I clicked the wrong link in the rush to get the RC.
I've done a clean install (hard reset first) and the RC seems to be running well.
Will report back once reinstalled the other programs (incl CJKOS)

thanks for the feedback IPSI, Mike

Alan

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
llammamama - ah, didn't think to try this on a VGA system - now the problem's showing right up. It looks like it's actually some sort of issue with the FreeType font renderer - the anti-aliasing system doesn't seem to like drawing characters with too many strokes at really large sizes. This only affects one of the two anti-aliasing algorithms, though, so we'll just add a check to use the other one whenever rendering characters above a certain pixel size. (along with fixing the cause of the crash, which was the software not detecting correctly that the character had failed to load)

Shadowdh - magnify actually should be magnifying the headword when no text is selected, so that looks like a bug. But I'm glad to hear it's working correctly otherwise. The recognizer really is fantastic, though most of the credit for that goes to Hanwang rather than us - I guess we can take credit for paying the premium to license it instead of a less accurate one, though :)

buckdale

秀才
At the moment I'm using Pleco Dictionary Engine version 2.0b7(b) but I was a bit worried that I mightn't get around to installing the release candidate before version 2 comes out, and from your previous remarks, the bug I've found is quite likely to be not fixed. It seems to be a missing item in Tuttle's (TL) Dictionary: When inputting lai, lai2 or , the Tuttle dictionary only gives the second meaning numeral=approximately, more or less, close to.. and not the primary meaning come, arrive.

KesterN

秀才
Reader
When I send a dictionary entry to the reader it's possible to get the first character of the headword to transform (in much the same way as the flashcard headword used to transform to 耘).

1) Send dictionary entry to reader
2) Select (highlight) the headword
3) Scroll back and the first character transforms to 耘
4) Scroll back again and the first character transforms to 耀
5) Scroll forward to reverse the process back to the original headword

PS Great new male voice recordings. The d/g distinction is really clear for me now.

santiago

举人
Great improvement, great job!!!

One detail I am having problems with:
Choosing personalized colors in preferences/misc does not work for me (pop up windows is too big and I can not get to define new colors). I think this may NOT be pleco's problem since the color popup window is in Spanish, which I guess means that pleco is calling some other windows component which is the one that is not working properly. Anyway,just wanted to mention it in case it may be helpfull.
(I work on windows mobile 5, dell axim x51v)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Shadowdh - already fixed for the next release :)

buckdale - oops, yeah, looks like a few dozen entries are missing (actually just merged with the entries immediately before them) - this should also be fixed for the next release.

KesterN - oops, yeah, bit harder to fix than the others though so I think it should probably be put off until 2.0.1. And thanks! Glad the new audio compression made a difference.

santiago - yeah, we really need to do our own version of that control, it behaves oddly on a lot of systems (usually works if you drag the title bar around, but not always) - another 2.0.1 fix I think.

Bug Report: Batch Remove Category From Search Results

Problem Description:
Batch Remove Category From Search Results
Doesn't Seem To Work For A Large Found Set.
I Was Trying To Batch Remove A Category From A Large Number Of Flashcards.
The Progress Counter Updates, But When 'Done',
The Category Was Still Attached To All The Flashcards.

I Reproduced The Problem:
By Batch Adding A 'Dummy Test' Category To All Flashcards. (10000+)
This Worked OK.
I Then Tried To Batch Remove This 'Dummy Test' Category From All Flashcards.
This Failed To Remove The Category.

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b8(a)

BTW: I Noticed This Issue Intermittently With Previous Betas(v7)

Bug Report: Toggle Input Toolbar (Small Screen)

Edit: Sorry, I Played Around With The 'Layout' Preferences Again,
Now Everything Seems To Work OK.

ipsi

状元
Ok, I just had a rather disturbing incident - went to manage flashcards and Pleco suddunly couldn't find any of its Data Files. None. Had a look at the storage card, and they didn't appear. Kinda worried that Pleco had deleted them all, I put my card into my computer, but they were all still there. Puzzled, it went back in, and lo! Pleco could find everything again.

I was extra-worried at first because I couldn't see any Chinese *at all* in my flashcards... However, it was just hiding because Pleco couldn't see anything on my SD Card...

The best cause I can point to is that my device was running slow thanks to a process taking up lots of CPU (crashed Flexmail instance I think), so I ended up ending all running programs, one of which was Pleco, which had a *saved session*. I guess that mucked stuff up?

Also, I did a soft reset before removing the card, but it didn't help... The files still weren't visible.

So yeah, was kinda worried for a second there...

Also, I don't suppose you'd be able to add little squares when you can't find a character, like Linux? Ideally with the unicode hex inside. Just so I know that it can't find that character in the fonts, rather than worrying that they've all been deleted!

kiwi123

Installed to my original system and getting crashes virtually all the time - I think I've narrowed to CJKOS.
When I disable it haven't had any crashes yet.
Anyone experienced same problem? Or do I have to configure CJKOS differently?

Alan
Palm Tungsten E2, CJKOS

ipsi

状元
Sounds like you've got too many files installed for CJKOS - remove some of the fonts and such to reduce the amount of memory it's using. Not sure what to suggest as I'm not sure what you've got on there.